Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tbf, I get the impression that it's difficult for most Scots to appreciate how much more seriously the English take this sort of sh*te due to social conditioning of the highest order.  I happened to be in York during the most recent jubilee celebrations, and amongst many other examples of crazy sh*t, I saw a guy plastering his house with newspaper cuttings of the royals.  Truly tragic that grown men can be driven to such madness, but just highlights how effective / powerful a brainwashing tool this was to control people and their sentiments.

Getting the train through England saw bunting left, right and centre through every town we passed, yet I didn't see a single flag or bit of bunting when passing through Aberdeen on my final leg home.  Seems that even the royalists up here* aren't as mental as their southern counterparts.

*couldn't help but laugh at an earlier BBC piece trying to tell us that the residents of Ballater "knew" the Queen, as if the occasional view or briefest of chats count.  Much like me "knowing" the shopkeeper I had a brief chat with in Huntly's Costcutter last week.  Complete and utter drivel, yet they've somehow convinced themselves that it's true.  

I was in the north of England during the 50th Jubilee in 2002. Wall to wall bunting and so on. Came hone and nothing.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tbf, I get the impression that it's difficult for most Scots to appreciate how much more seriously the English take this sort of sh*te due to social conditioning of the highest order.  I happened to be in York during the most recent jubilee celebrations, and amongst many other examples of crazy sh*t, I saw a guy plastering his house with newspaper cuttings of the royals. 

It is a well known trope on crime dramas that when police discover that sort of obsessive behaviour, they know they have a serial killer on their hands.

What a time to be out of greenies - damn!
This “she was the only constant” line that’s being trotted out continually - it doesn’t make sense. Don’t most people have “constants” in their lives - folk who are always there, until their deaths? And was her sailing through her life in obscene wealth even in times of horrific hardship ever a good thing?
Fun fact. Up until his death, Harold Shipman was a constant in my life.

The moon still is a constant, as is the existence of cockroaches.

Like 99.9999% of the UKs population, the "constant" nature of the Queens existence made no material difference to mine, as we did not cross paths in any way shape or form.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Fun fact. Up until his death, Harold Shipman was a constant in my life.

The moon still is a constant, as is the existence of cockroaches.

Like 99.9999% of the UKs population, the "constant" nature of the Queens existence made no material difference to mine, as we did not cross paths in any way shape or form.

Oh, I'm sure some of her 'backroom gerrymandering' of umpteen bits of legislation over the last 70 years has impacted your life at some level.

You just don't know about it ................................

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Oh, I'm sure some of her 'backroom gerrymandering' of umpteen bits of legislation over the last 70 years has impacted your life at some level.

You just don't know about it ................................

You're probably right, in the same way that a cockroach has probably trampled its own spit and shite into something I was about to eat at some point. In both cases, it's probably best to leave it as an unknown. 

40 minutes ago, throbber said:

Get her in the fucking ground already. Another weekend ruined before it got started.

34 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Burial at sea please.

Anything but a cremation.....we don't need another gas bill for anything right now.

I can see the Daily Mail headlines

"Sick Scottish Football Website does not shut down in respect for The Queen

The vile website, Bile and Bovril, whose owner Div McDonald is believed to be a St Mirren fan therefore and one for the watching was full of posts from sick republican perverts. McDonald, whose Ruel Street mansion was besieged by an angry mob (Mason and Masonina Boyne) last night, refused to comment"

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

I can see the Daily Mail headlines

"Sick Scottish Football Website does not shut down in respect for The Queen

The vile website, Bile and Bovril, whose owner Div McDonald is believed to be a St Mirren fan therefore and one for the watching was full of posts from sick republican perverts. McDonald, whose Ruel Street mansion was besieged by an angry mob (Mason and Masonina Boyne) last night, refused to comment"

Christ, if you could work “love rat”, “tragic tot” and “caged” in there somewhere, I’d suspect you work for them.