Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

29 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Fair point. Also far fewer viewers that Chuck and Diana's wedding, Anne and Mark Phillips' wedding, Diana's funeral and the Apollo 13 splashdown.

In non-special events news, nearly 6 million more folk watched the episode of Coronation Street when Hilda Ogden left.  In fact, more folk watched an episode of Steptoe and Son in 1964 and an episode of To the Manor Born in 1979 than watched the coronation. 

So, no great demonstration of much in the coronation viewing figures. 

Rejoice! 

They must have know it was a bit of a a squib as they had the caveat that social media views weren't taken into account.

37 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Fair point. Also far fewer viewers that Chuck and Diana's wedding, Anne and Mark Phillips' wedding, Diana's funeral and the Apollo 13 splashdown.

In non-special events news, nearly 6 million more folk watched the episode of Coronation Street when Hilda Ogden left.  In fact, more folk watched an episode of Steptoe and Son in 1964 and an episode of To the Manor Born in 1979 than watched the coronation. 

So, no great demonstration of much in the coronation viewing figures. 

Rejoice! 

morecambe%2526wisegrapefruit.gif

I see the Republican separatists - and the two concepts now seem to be linked unlike in 2014 - had a rally in Calton Hill on Saturday:

Odd choice of location in the middle of Embra's new town - a World Heritage living aide-mémoire to Union and Empire.  Calton Hill has two major monuments.  1. to Nelson whose victory at Trafalgar was made possible by his ships having greater maneuverability thanks to the rigging and sails made in Dundee and greater firepower due to being armed with innovatory carronades made in Falkirk.  2. The monument to the Scots who died fighting with the Irish Duke of Wellington against European tyranny. 

Calton Hill is basically the most British place on earth outside of Gibraltar...

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I see the Republican separatists - and the two concepts now seem to be linked unlike in 2014 - had a rally in Calton Hill on Saturday:

Were you just not paying attention? 

37 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Were you just not paying attention? 

I know I've joked about The DPRS - which now seems to be coming true - but the policy in 2014 was to retain the Monarch as iScot's Head of State.  To quote from the 2013 White Paper:

Under our proposals, we will keep our close links of family and friendship through an ongoing social union and will continue to share the Queen as head of state, as 16 Commonwealth countries already do, and we will share the pound as our currency.

You not been paying attention, Derek?  There's a surprise.

18 minutes ago, Marlo Stanfield said:

That sort of protest stuff at Callton Hill is really just soft or plastic Rupublicanism anyway. Unserious stuff.

Still, good for the culture warriors like Kincy to get his teeth into.

I loved living in Carlton Terrace - EH7 - in the late 90s/early noughties and have walked up Calton Hill via Regent Gardens many a time.  My younger two were born there.  Edinburgh is a fantastic city with a rich history and seeing the likes of Lorna Slater mouthing off without knowing much about Scotland or Edinburgh's past is, frankly, depressing.

But, to repeat myself, the less you know about Scotland the more likely you are to be a Nat.

Edited by The_Kincardine

30 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I know I've joked about The DPRS - which now seems to be coming true - but the policy in 2014 was to retain the Monarch as iScot's Head of State.  To quote from the 2013 White Paper:

You not been paying attention, Derek?  There's a surprise.

On independence, Her Majesty The Queen will remain our head of state, just as she is for 16 Commonwealth countries.  Scotland will be a constitutional monarchy for as long as the people of Scotland wish us to be so. Scotland will take our place amongst the member states of the EU and the United Nations

The only things that have changed here is that the queen is with the maggots now and it's down from 16 to 14.  

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I loved living in Carlton Terrace - EH7 - in the late 90s/early noughties and have walked up Calton Hill via Regent Gardens many a time.  My younger two were born there.  Edinburgh is a fantastic city with a rich history and seeing the likes of Lorna Slater mouthing off without knowing much about Scotland or Edinburgh's past is, frankly, depressing. 

Calton Hill is one of the best spots in the city. An eclectic mix of stuff up there that would be relatively unremarkable on its own but all together makes it a pretty cool place.

Now with views of a giant golden turd though.

4161.jpg.195f8b35ba3dfa3f0a57e4ad9774ae1d.jpg

34 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I loved living in Carlton Terrace - EH7 - in the late 90s/early noughties and have walked up Calton Hill via Regent Gardens many a time.  My younger two were born there. 

Now tell us about the period you spent living in Kensington Palace mews and your uncle who works for Nintendo.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

The monarchy should be privatised. If it was self-funded there'd be little complaint.

If you take the Crown Estates as being the Monarchy's own (and I could argue either way) then it is pretty-much self-funded.

56 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

If you take the Crown Estates as being the Monarchy's own (and I could argue either way) then it is pretty-much self-funded.

No you couldn’t. The clue is in the name: the Crown Estate. It’s the property of the “Crown”, not the monarchy. The monarchy happens to be the face of the Crown under the present constitutional setup, but if the constitution was legally altered to abolish that and institute something else as the face of the Crown, the ex royals would walk away without the Estates (as Edward VIII did). Even under the current system, if Charlie tried to claim the Crown Estates were his, he’d also be claiming responsibility for paying for the UK’s governance … and good luck making the revenue of the Crown Estates cover that.