Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

4 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Wasn't the position of Salmond and Sturgeon to retain the monarchy?

If we had voted Yes in 2014, theres a better than even chance that the SNP wouldnt be running the show now, so its a bit of a moot point.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

If we had voted Yes in 2014, theres a better than even chance that the SNP wouldnt be running the show now, so its a bit of a moot point.

And our TV screens wouldn't be full of pish that would make the North Korean's blush.

16 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Wasn't the position of Salmond and Sturgeon to retain the monarchy?

In a nudge nudge wink wink way. But we could have our own broadcaster not subjecting us to brain rotting shite about two scouts from Chester who are travelling down to hold a feather that a guy will use to tickle two orbs because this is what king jacob the 14th did or whatever the shite i just saw was. 

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

I've spotted something out of the ordinary. An old geezer who hasn't worked a day in his life with a multi-million pound crown passing by in a tax payer funded golden carriage at a time when people can't afford food, lecky or rent. Wonder what action they'll take if I call them up? 

I believe it will is the duty of P&B to call in loads of suspicious persons lining the streets of London.

Are these daft fcukers camping out in advance of these shenanigans to catch a glimpse?

I reckon they've blown a decent opportunity here for a bit of modernisation and reform around this coronation. It's been diminishing returns ever since Diana croaked it with increasingly confected enthusiasm rather than genuine public feeling.

48 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Who do you think would have been elected if Yes had won?

I've always seen this as a bit of a red herring. To me it seems pretty obvious that in the event of a Yes win then we would have the SNP for at least the first few terms. Even with that I don't see which party is promoting doing away with the monarchy anyway? 

42 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

In a nudge nudge wink wink way. But we could have our own broadcaster not subjecting us to brain rotting shite about two scouts from Chester who are travelling down to hold a feather that a guy will use to tickle two orbs because this is what king jacob the 14th did or whatever the shite i just saw was

Unless Scotland had chosen to leave behind the monarchy then I'm sure there'd still be the same level of sycophantic pish on the telly tbh. 

3 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Who do you think would have been elected if Yes had won?

I've always seen this as a bit of a red herring. To me it seems pretty obvious that in the event of a Yes win then we would have the SNP for at least the first few terms. Even with that I don't see which party is promoting doing away with the monarchy anyway? 

Unless Scotland had chosen to leave behind the monarchy then I'm sure there'd still be the same level of sycophantic pish on the telly tbh. 

Not sure why Indy is brought into this thread - there are lots of pro-Indy supporters who aren't republicans. Sleazy Salmond is a close friend of the King, for example.

As to point, the SNP - already showing divisions along various lines - would more than likely split into different parties after a Yes vote. I myself would be looking for a left-of-centre party.

10 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Not sure why Indy is brought into this thread - there are lots of pro-Indy supporters who aren't republicans. Sleazy Salmond is a close friend of the King, for example.

As to point, the SNP - already showing divisions along various lines - would more than likely split into different parties after a Yes vote. I myself would be looking for a left-of-centre party.

Same, I was only responding to a post about no voters being to blame for having to watch coronation stuff (which nobody really HAS to watch)

Maybe a debate for another thread but I'm not quite as convinced to the idea of this massive split that would lead to progressive parties. 

26 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Same, I was only responding to a post about no voters being to blame for having to watch coronation stuff (which nobody really HAS to watch)

Maybe a debate for another thread but I'm not quite as convinced to the idea of this massive split that would lead to progressive parties. 

Nah i think its pretty relevant. Scottish attitudes to the monarchy are pretty much along the same levels as brexit and highlights the deep division between us and what the rest of the UK imposes on us. 

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Nah i think its pretty relevant. Scottish attitudes to the monarchy are pretty much along the same levels as brexit and highlights the deep division between us and what the rest of the UK imposes on us. 

So I'm presuming it would be fair to say you believe if Yes had won in 2014 Scotland would have got rid of the Royals by now?

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes. Or imposed Harry or Andy Murray as our king for maximum seethe. 

It's fascinating how people take there own position as somehow being what would happen with Independence.  There is no will in Scottish politics (except for the Greens) to abolish the monarchy.   We would be getting the same shite rammed at us if we hadn't shat the bed in 2014.

I was looking up Wikipedia to read about the Scottish Crown jewels (older than the English ones as Cromwell didn't get his hands on them)

I was amused to read that just after the Act of Union a scurrilous song said the Scottish Crown had been melted down to make sex aids for Queen Anne

The majestic history of monarch richt eneuch.

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I did wonder how the Mail etc would react if Charlie, Willie and his Bairns all had some kind of accident and we ended up with King Henry IX and Queen Meghan.

They'd do as they're fucking told.

"The new King resplendent...handling his grief with typical dignity...his supportive Queen radiant at his side...fully clutched to the nation's bosom, much like Diana before her...please Sire, I promised the wife she'd be a Lady one day..."

I’m on The Mall where people have been queueing for hours overnight to get a good spot - many are bleary-eyed but excited to have made it through.

But others have been left disappointed after not managing to get through, following some confusion around which areas would be open to the public.

Tracy Taylor, who travelled down from the Midlands and has been queueing since 8pm last night in the hope of getting access to a space near the Buckingham Palace end said: “We were told that the gate would be opened, so we’ve been stood there basically all night”.

She said they have since been told that they will not be let through, leaving her and her group of five looking for somewhere else to stand.

“It’s shambolic,” said another in the group, Ian - who described himself as a seasoned royal event-goer, having attended the late Queen’s funeral last year, as well as Diana’s funeral.

Totally normal behaviour.

Screenshot_20230506-090717.png