Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

How lavish do P&B Forumites think the coronation should be? I realise that some forumites will be at the front of the queue for the stamps, prints, special editions of the Daily Mail and Express, tea towels, ceramics, ash trays, dolls, jigsaws, one-eighth sovereigns from Trustan da Cunha and so on, but what about the event itself? Presumably it will reflect modern Britain. 

So the lights will be off, there'll be no heating and the state banquet will comprise own brand weetabix and meals costing no more than 30p a head. The BB will provide the marching band and unpaid children will fly kites in place of a RAF fly past. 

I'm sure it'll be a delight, accompanied of course by God's representatives on Earth just to make sure that everything meets their master's approval. 

I'll be washing my hair. 

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

How lavish do P&B Forumites think the coronation should be? I realise that some forumites will be at the front of the queue for the stamps, prints, special editions of the Daily Mail and Express, tea towels, ceramics, ash trays, dolls, jigsaws, one-eighth sovereigns from Trustan da Cunha and so on, but what about the event itself? Presumably it will reflect modern Britain. 

So the lights will be off, there'll be no heating and the state banquet will comprise own brand weetabix and meals costing no more than 30p a head. The BB will provide the marching band and unpaid children will fly kites in place of a RAF fly past. 

I'm sure it'll be a delight, accompanied of course by God's representatives on Earth just to make sure that everything meets their master's approval. 

I'll be washing my hair. 

Quite short I hope.

revolution-guillotine.gif

27 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Quite short I hope.

revolution-guillotine.gif

I don't think I'd go quite that far in the 21st century, but there are aspects of the French approach to monarchy that I find quite revealing. 'If we get rid of the monarchy, what about the tourism?' seems to be a common, if silly, question. 

It may come as a great shock to the more royalty-minded, but as far as I can tell, France appears to have a reasonably healthy tourist industry. I understand that the Palace of Versailles gets about 10m visitors a year and in Austria the Hofburg, which was a former imperial palace, gets 20m. 

All without a monarchy. In England as I understand it, no royal residence is in the top ten either free or paid entrance tourist locations. In 2019 the top free attraction was Brighton Pier (4.9m) and for paid entrance, Kew Gardens (2.3m) Royalty appears not to be the boon that some folk think, with the possible exception of newspaper circulation figures and book publishers. 

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I don't think I'd go quite that far in the 21st century, but there are aspects of the French approach to monarchy that I find quite revealing. 'If we get rid of the monarchy, what about the tourism?' seems to be a common, if silly, question. 

It may come as a great shock to the more royalty-minded, but as far as I can tell, France appears to have a reasonably healthy tourist industry. I understand that the Palace of Versailles gets about 10m visitors a year and in Austria the Hofburg, which was a former imperial palace, gets 20m. 

All without a monarchy. In England as I understand it, no royal residence is in the top ten either free or paid entrance tourist locations. In 2019 the top free attraction was Brighton Pier (4.9m) and for paid entrance, Kew Gardens (2.3m) Royalty appears not to be the boon that some folk think, with the possible exception of newspaper circulation figures and book publishers. 

Italy became a republic in 1946 and not one tourist has entered Italy since.

8 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Don’t be ridiculous. The Egyptian tourism industry has never recovered from the abolition of the pharaohs.

6 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'll be washing my hair. 

So will I, with Head & Shoulders - chop the King's off!

tumbleweed GIF

10 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'll be washing my hair. 

Hey, we are not savages.  The Queen was around for a very long time and now she is gone.  That's a lot to deal with.

Out of respect for the family, I think the whole coronation thing should be some quiet affair somewhere private.

After it is done, maybe post something on Twitter or Facebook or something.  Keep it low key.  That is what I think.

18 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Obviously they have to have a coronation. Otherwise some continental upstart might come along and say "hooray, the Queen is dead, I claim this island for Poland" or something like that.

That's how they did it before.

Lizzie the Stick shuffled off her mortal coil on September the 8th

Chuckles had his accession ceremony 43 hours later

Unseemly and perhaps offensive haste crossed my mind.

I very quickly revised that to the view that if the deal is done, there's no space for debate.

They are ruthless but then again lizards are wired that way.

22 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Don’t even know the point of a formal coronation,  we know he’s king, we don’t need a ridiculously expensive ceremony for it.  

“But the mud-bloods worshipped Mama, and dear Mama was anointed with Jesus-juice whilst being enthroned! It’ll make them worship me too, what!”

It’s bread and circuses designed to feed the ego of a thick, fat-fingered twat and his 75-year-old mattress. The humiliating thing for us oiks is that there’s no bread and the circus has this gremlin as it’s ringleader.

6C4C2260-E46A-42D6-A510-5FFE027A186B.jpeg

23 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Looking forward to a nice weekend away in the hills celebrating the Mrs birthday that weekend.

The only coronation I want to see is the chicken variety in my sandwiches. 

The only positive from the whole thing is that we might get a new sandwich filling

I think they'll have to loan back the sandstone cesspit lid that's currently in Edinburgh Castle for the Coronation 

I watched the daft ceremony when Mad Mickey Forsyth brought the thing back from London. The Royals were represented by a bored looking non-sweaty nonce.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I think they'll have to loan back the sandstone cesspit lid that's currently in Edinburgh Castle for the Coronation 

I watched the daft ceremony when Mad Mickey Forsyth brought the thing back from London. The Royals were represented by a bored looking non-sweaty nonce.

They'll never get their grubby paws on the real thing🙂