Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

9 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Had no idea you were a moderator.

Congratulations on your new role.

Way to hurt a man's feelings. He's been on the job for years.

Not sure they let him use Mjolnir yet. Might just be stuck with Stormbreaker for temporary banhammering.

10 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Skys News headline this morning is that over 250,000 filed past the Queen's coffin. WOW!! INCREDIBLE!! Does anyone actually care?

Now Nick Ferrari on LBC asking his listeners what will be their abiding memory from yesterday's funeral.

Anyone any idea as to when we might be able to move on from this Royal non event?

If I had to guess I'd go for October the nineteenth next year, about 10pm

10 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Skys News headline this morning is that over 250,000 filed past the Queen's coffin. WOW!! INCREDIBLE!! Does anyone actually care?

Now Nick Ferrari on LBC asking his listeners what will be their abiding memory from yesterday's funeral.

Anyone any idea as to when we might be able to move on from this Royal non event?

This figure actually puts Scotland in a terrible light!

Im sure a saw a figure of 33k for Edinburgh which would make it a higher percentage of population in Scotland, minter. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

That’s about a million per channel.

If The Chase was on every channel all day on a bank holiday it would have smashed that.

or Celebrity Masterchef

Aye but that’s just the funeral.  Wait until the resurrection on Thursday, that will be peak viewing.

26 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

They'll be pissed off that Diana's funeral got more viewers.

image.thumb.png.bbb9b7d9a4ff99f975236918aab079ca.png

Was interesting to see that there are only 43 countries left with a monarch as head of state and Chucky sausage fingers is head of 15 of them.

That number will be significantly lower by the end of his reign, I imagine.

24 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

They'll be pissed off that Diana's funeral got more viewers.

image.thumb.png.bbb9b7d9a4ff99f975236918aab079ca.png

Was interesting to see that there are only 43 countries left with a monarch as head of state and Chucky sausage fingers is head of 15 of them.

Tenth? TENTH? Less than the Apollo 13 splashdown? Less than the funeral of the blessed Diana? 

The royalists won't like that sort of detail at all. 

Still, no mention of the 'who shot JR' episode of Dallas, so it's not all bad... ! 

Is parliament able if it was minded to to force the royal family to pay inheritance tax on their own assets or is it out of scope of parliament? 

I mean they would need royal assent to pass that sort of bill surely? Can’t see them shooting themselves in the foot, even if hypothetically.

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Is parliament able if it was minded to to force the royal family to pay inheritance tax on their own assets or is it out of scope of parliament? 

Even if they did change it, I would doubt it would be something that could be done retrospectively.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

I mean they would need royal assent to pass that sort of bill surely? Can’t see them shooting themselves in the foot, even if hypothetically.

I think it would be conditional suicide for then not to sign such a law, I was just wondering if the parliament can legislate on the affairs of the monarch.

44 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Even if they did change it, I would doubt it would be something that could be done retrospectively.

No but it won't be that long until the question comes up again