Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

25 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If there's no GSTK, that's a relief.

I'd be VERY surprised if there's no... how shall I put it ... 'reaction' ... to the minute's silence / applause.

Far better just to cut out the nonsense and get on with the match. FoS and the Ukrainian national anthems are quite enough.

There’s going to be people booing it’s just a case of whether it gets picked up enough on the tv for there to be widespread outrage about it.

It is of course completely unnecessary to have another minutes applause after the 10 day mourning period which saw all games cancelled one weekend and all games have tributes for her the following weekend as well. 

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/19/undemocratic-facade-four-people-on-why-they-avoided-the-queens-funeral

‘I’m avoiding this undemocratic facade’

“I’m not watching it in any way, shape or form. I’m avoiding any more of this anachronistic and undemocratic facade. I’m at work – we’re very busy right now. We’ve all had to bring in packed lunches because Tesco is closed.

“It feels crazy to be looking at the BBC and every newspaper and then speaking to all my friends – it feels so out of touch. It feels like we’re being gaslit into caring. I get that there’s a time to grieve but the fact that the next king goes straight into power – this should be the time to talk about it and the future of the monarchy. A large amount of the population don’t care or dislike the monarchy but none of these people are being heard. I’m not disrespectful to the Queen but as a system it seems so out of time. It just shows Britain to be reliant on undemocratic institutions. The only way this can change is if people realise they have the power to make that change. We’re in thrall to the status quo.”
David Weaver, 36, Glasgow, concert promoter

Taken from the Guardian whose editor accepted a ticket for and attended the funeral and who wrote a sneering editorial about it.

Typical Guardian hypocrisy!

I live in an Asian city of over 12 million people. 

Even the British people I know who are keen on the royal family here weren’t watching it because it was on in the middle of the night. 

The locals, even if aware of it, certainly were not staying up to watch it either. 

Repeat that across the country / region / world and safe so say the viewing numbers published are utter bollocks. 

There’s going to be people booing it’s just a case of whether it gets picked up enough on the tv for there to be widespread outrage about it.

It is of course completely unnecessary to have another minutes applause after the 10 day mourning period which saw all games cancelled one weekend and all games have tributes for her the following weekend as well. 
They'll just turn the sound down as they've done with other displays of booing against the Royals.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They'll be counting people who watched at any point including news reports.

I suspect that there's also been a lpt of double counting.

I think you’re being kind - they’re not counting anything at all. They’re making up figuresThe giveaway is that they were throwing out these fantasy figures before the boot was even planted. They threw out “billions” before both William and Harry’s weddings; subsequent figures showed nothing like the made-up figures but the lie was already everywhere, believed, and repeated.

It’s Goebbels stuff: “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.”

12 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I think you’re being kind - they’re not counting anything at all. They’re making up figuresThe giveaway is that they were throwing out these fantasy figures before the boot was even planted. They threw out “billions” before both William and Harry’s weddings; subsequent figures showed nothing like the made-up figures but the lie was already everywhere, believed, and repeated.

It’s Goebbels stuff: “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.”

Brings to mind Stalin's quote that "paper will put up with anything that is written on it".

26 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Didn't Lindsay Hoyle describe it as the biggest event in history ?  Bigger than every war, every natural disaster, every pogrom, every genocide and Jim Murphy being hit by an egg.

That will do for me.

1 minute ago, Frank Quitely said:

Didn't Lindsay Hoyle describe it as the biggest event in history ?  Bigger than every war, every natural disaster, every pogrom, every genocide and Jim Murphy being hit by an egg.

That will do for me.

Bigger than the big space rock that wiped out the dinosaurs?