Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

One thing that has surprised me from all this is how many people still watch 'live' TV, and how many people still watch it during the day, not to mention how it's still a default option for so many people (watching TV in general I mean).

33 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Skys News headline this morning is that over 250,000 filed past the Queen's coffin. WOW!! INCREDIBLE!! Does anyone actually care?

Now Nick Ferrari on LBC asking his listeners what will be their abiding memory from yesterday's funeral.

Anyone any idea as to when we might be able to move on from this Royal non event?

When Frankie Boyle-style jokes about the Queen and the royal family are widespread, maybe then we might grow up. Until then we'll be knee deep in sycophancy, mysticism and "tradition". 

Sane folk wouldn't look at a baby and decide that he was the very boy to run the corner shop, yet years ago some balloons looked at the now titled "Prince George of Wales" and thought 'there's our future Head of State'.

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

Why are we so obsessed with tributes and various ways we can pay respects in this country? 
We're not really, only when it comes to certain people.

Years ago I knew a guy who worked on the phones at Ibrox selling tickets. One of his colleagues died but they remained open the day of the funeral. Were they open yesterday for the funeral of a complete stranger?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/19/undemocratic-facade-four-people-on-why-they-avoided-the-queens-funeral

‘I’m avoiding this undemocratic facade’

“I’m not watching it in any way, shape or form. I’m avoiding any more of this anachronistic and undemocratic facade. I’m at work – we’re very busy right now. We’ve all had to bring in packed lunches because Tesco is closed.

“It feels crazy to be looking at the BBC and every newspaper and then speaking to all my friends – it feels so out of touch. It feels like we’re being gaslit into caring. I get that there’s a time to grieve but the fact that the next king goes straight into power – this should be the time to talk about it and the future of the monarchy. A large amount of the population don’t care or dislike the monarchy but none of these people are being heard. I’m not disrespectful to the Queen but as a system it seems so out of time. It just shows Britain to be reliant on undemocratic institutions. The only way this can change is if people realise they have the power to make that change. We’re in thrall to the status quo.”
David Weaver, 36, Glasgow, concert promoter

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

My lad has just told me that GSTK will be played at the Scotland v Ukraine match. 

Is there NO end to this?

Not like the SFA to do anything as controversial as that.  🤔
I was certain that they would have done that on the Saturday against Ireland, there wouldn’t have been any adverse reaction from the crowd at that game would there? 😉

17 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

My lad has just told me that GSTK will be played at the Scotland v Ukraine match. 

Is there NO end to this?

Looking like he may have got mixed up here. Article mentions Rangers singing GSTK and that Scotland intends to pay tribute to The Queen. It only says they're having a minute's applause though, not singing GSTK.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/22313753.scottish-fa-make-uefa-request-pay-tribute-queen-ukraine-match/

18 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Is there NO end to this?

We know that the people in charge of Scottish football are completely out of touch with the fans.  We’ve known this for years.

That lack of synchronicity has been evident for years.  However nothing will throw this into sharper focus than this.

There’s no excuse, the authorities have witnessed the non-Sevco fans reaction to Lizzie’s passing yet have decided to press on with this.  The faux indignation that will follow what happens will be as ridiculous as the decision itself.