Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

They will literally throw you in jail these days for saying you're English.

Except they won't, but they certainly will for saying, or displaying, notmyking. A completely inoffensive and personal statement.

We have gone beyond parody.

And it's probably the people who think the first statement is true are the most culpable in the second.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/15/new-prince-of-wales-william-charles-ancient-capital-prefers-owain-glyndwr

"Certainly, the event is bound to be more pointed than usual, with Charles’s announcement that William would become Prince of Wales – Tywysog Cymru – going down badly with many nationalists and republicans.

By Wednesday, almost 25,000 people had signed a petition calling for the title to be abolished and activists have vowed to protest at the ceremonies in the Welsh capital.

Morgan, a professor of astronomy, said: “There are lots of people like me who don’t care to hear about the royal family. They are entitled, they are rich and assume they rule over Wales.” Morgan has nothing against the royals as individuals. “But they are symbols of oppression. The English royal family was imposed on Wales centuries ago.”

14 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Get it On is great. Bryan 'Always Talks Over the End of Long Instrumental Playouts' Burnett is the problem.

Over to you, Chazza the King.

Cannae listen to that anymore - ' I Travel' by Simple Minds and 'I Ran' by Flock of Seagulls get suggested every night.

'Good suggestion' says Burnett every fucking time.

The mincing c**t. 

My boss, who is a staunch Sevcoite and monarchist, is retiring on Friday. I asked him if his son, who is an office junior, was taking his place and he told me without a hint of understanding that this is not how employment works

Edited by CambieBud

4 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

My boss, who is a staunch Sevcoite and monarchist, is retiring on Friday. I asked him if his son, who is an office junior, was taking his place and he told me without a hint of understanding that this is not how employment works

Changed days.

You know when you’re so pished, and thinking only of scran, that you write “chip and chips” instead of “fish and chips”? Well, you shouldn’t get behind the wheel of a car or tweet, Alastair. Going on GBeebies in that state is probably fine though.

2F73F776-1C06-4BCF-A07D-98C90D50FEE7.jpeg

Have to admit to being ignorant of MP's req'mt to pledge allegiance to the tenant of Buck House.......................Fvckin' hell.....

"MPs to take an oath to Charles on Wednesday

MPs will take their oath of allegiance to King Charles III on Wednesday, Aubrey Allegretti reports.

All new MPs have to pledge loyalty to the reigning monarch on entering parliament.

The current oath reads: “I, [insert name], do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Majesty King Charles, his heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.”

3 hours ago, Clown Job said:

A headline you won’t see in the UK media

I’d hope the Guardian or Independent would run with it.  In fairness the Guardian ran this.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/15/jeffrey-epstein-prince-andrew-queen-death
CB6C9E95-3E4F-423C-ACBC-83797D69C116.thumb.jpeg.05cfe253d064f6823ffdf9c4a5e1c6d7.jpeg

6 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Have to admit to being ignorant of MP's req'mt to pledge allegiance to the tenant of Buck House.......................Fvckin' hell.....

"MPs to take an oath to Charles on Wednesday

MPs will take their oath of allegiance to King Charles III on Wednesday, Aubrey Allegretti reports.

All new MPs have to pledge loyalty to the reigning monarch on entering parliament.

The current oath reads: “I, [insert name], do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Majesty King Charles, his heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.”

crossing-fingers-fingers-crossed.gif

What we are seeing in Britain right now – and what makes the nature and narratives of the mourning crowds so significant – is not just an expression of nationhood but an exercise in the making of nationhood. What makes this exercise so effective is that a loyalist and deferential version of Britishness is not simply imposed on us from the top. It draws on genuine and deep emotions among many millions of people – myself included. I was moved and saddened by the death of Elizabeth, not because I am a royalist but because it made me remember my own mother. And I felt for Harry, who arrived too late, just as I did, hearing she had died while on my way to see her.

However, these feelings were interpreted and exploited in a way that equated feeling sadness on thinking about Elizabeth’s death with joy at the unquestioned accession of Charles. Equally, crowd participation, whatever its actual motivation, has been reflected back to us as a collective endorsement of the monarch as head of state and of the Commonwealth (leaving no space in the nation for republicanism or anti-colonialism). All in all, it is a more modern and more subtle form of “taking the king’s shilling”, whereby what seems at the time like a rather modest act leads to lifelong impressment in the king’s service.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/15/crowd-behaviour-london-mourning-queen?CMP=share_btn_tw

This.