Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye and the bit about having his own toilet seat carried around for him.

Yet this is the Britain most people seem to want.

To be fair, if I was in a position where I could have someone carry round a personal toilet seat for me, I'd definitely be using it.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

It reminds me of the first Blackadder where Prince Edmund was stripped of all titles except Lord Warden of the Royal Privies. Now his Royal Nonceness has the role of going about picking up dug shite (which he won't do obv)

Don't feel sorry for him - we've already paid him c.£2m per dug that he'll clean up after.

2 hours ago, lau03143 said:

As we move forward though, I think it's important from any government to review the role of Monarchy, whether that be Westminster or Holyrood, and I think any future vote on Independence, the any party taking part should clearly state in it's manifesto it's long term strategy on the Monarchy.

Two totally different things.  Why confuse them?

7 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Just switched on to the service.  I see all of the circus performers are decked out in their full fancy dress outfits with all of them bedecked in a wheen of medals and trinkets - even wee Eddie.   🤣🤣  

The Americans must love all this shit.  

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Would any right-minded group of individuals when designing a new state from scratch say "let's give the top job to this bloke and his descendants can rule over us for ever more"? Unless the answer is yes, there's no reason to keep the monarchy.

Somewhere that's had a monarchy for over 1,000 years, possibly 😉 

1 hour ago, hearthammer said:

Just switched on to the service.  I see all of the circus performers are decked out in their full fancy dress outfits with all of them bedecked in a wheen of medals and trinkets - even wee Eddie.   🤣🤣  

The Americans must love all this shit.  

leonid.jpg.b10b6ea178ea717dd450f73729b85c44.jpg

Breznhev liked a medal. 

I like this entry from Wikipedia about the funeral of George VI:

There was some opposition to the mourning, social researchers from Mass-Observation recorded one 60-year-old woman who asked: "Don't they think of old folk, sick people, invalids? It's been terrible for them, all this gloom". On another occasion the organisation recorded that a fight broke out in a Notting Hill bar after one man said of the King, "He's only shit and soil now like anyone else".[2]

24 minutes ago, BFTD said:

How does one personify continuity, exactly?

image.png.89809497bfe95b82cb9400534b61d267.png

This has been very prominent recently, all this mince about "symbolising" and "personifying" things. It seems to be a way to try to kid on that the queen, and now the king, had/have a purpose.

You can symbolise, personify and represent as much as you like, you're still not actually doing anything.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

This young lad was shouting peado at Prince Andrew - he got dragged out by two fat radges and the polis huckled him away......................good to see the guardians of law and order doing exactly what we expect.

It would be hard to argue that he didn't incite violence...