Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

For Scotland, there is a far larger fish to fry. There's just no need and no advantage to be gained by discussing a republic when there's independence to be squared away first. 

The fact that it's the only way Scotland will ever be able to ditch the grifting touchers and have an elected head of state is almost moot. Sequencing. 

I have no idea but would the Independence vote necessarily include becoming a republic as a given?

38 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Is there a debate on abolishing the monarchy though? Outside of P&B I'm not sure there is much appetite for the discussion. 

It’s way down the priority list but an Independent Scotland will ditch the monarchy within a decade.

9 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I’ll assume in the interest of impartiality the BBC have been discussing the merits of ditching the monarchy?

To expect this, even whilst deploying obvious sarcasm is to misunderstand the purpose of our state broadcaster.

The BBC will endeavour to provide balance in all matters except the monarchy. 

I think Dimbleby touches upon it in his current documentary.

She understood this and she obviously didn't think hard enough about that privilege before her disgraceful political intervention in 2014.

This country really is amazing.

Cost of living crisis, Ukraine currently curb-stomping Russia back to the border, humanitarian disaster in Pakistan and any number of other huge stories to cover...

BBC News have rolling coverage of a helicopter following a hearse like a really slow version of the Tour de France.

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Cost of living crisis, Ukraine currently curb-stomping Russia back to the border, humanitarian disaster in Pakistan and any number of other huge stories to cover...

BBC News have rolling coverage of a helicopter following a hearse like a really slow version of the Tour de France.

Worst Police, Camera, Action! ever. 

4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

It’s bread and circuses.

Without the bread.

59 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Tour de Farce, shoorely ? (coat, here till Thursday etc.....)

Anti monarchy aside (given the choice I’d get rid of the lot). I worked with a guy who’s other half had worked with the Royals at Buckingham Palace. She said Charles is by far the nicest of them and goes out his way to get to know the people who work with the Royals. However he’s never had the press onside after Diana which obviously effects public opinion. I think he’s probably going to try and make the changes required and trim the fat of the RF as the Swedish did. His problem is definitely he likes to get politically involved when it’s something he’s passionate about. I could see quite a few countries removing the monarchy as HOS now the Queen is dead but it’ll limp on in the UK for at least William to be King. Let’s hope we’re away before then and independent.