Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

22 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

This could genuinely be the moment where there's been been a fundamental change in the future of the nation.  New PM, new monarch, new mindset.  Status quo gone, the closest thing to consistency being NS and the buttery vs rowie debate.

I think that ship has sailed 

With Charlie they don’t need to really pretend they respect the thrown.

They mislead Lizzie mind, imagine how they’ll treat Charles 

Someone pulled out of our 5s tonight cause he "wasn't feeling up to it"

Don't really know him that well but he's a big rangers man. Pretty sure he was in tears at the news.

I scored a couple of belters. It's what she would have wanted.

27 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

This could genuinely be the moment where there's been been a fundamental change in the future of the nation.  New PM, new monarch, new mindset.  Status quo gone, the closest thing to consistency being NS and the buttery vs rowie debate.

I believe Francis Rossi says different.

11 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Don't really know him that well but he's a big rangers man. Pretty sure he was in tears at the news.

I scored a couple of belters. It's what she would have wanted.

^^^on the side with 5.

38 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nae.  Chucky as king will be Child's Play.

Oh dear.  I will leave now.

It's a particularly cruel form of institution that has someone who is 96 still pottering along thinking they have to do their "duty"
The death of Gorbachev had me re-reading about Andropov and Chernenko, both of whom were dying when they became Soviet premier. Andropov had to read papers hooked up to a dialysis machine in hospital and the dying Chernenko was dragged out of bed and forced to take part in a vote. That was shown on Soviet TV and appalled the people. Seeing ERII swearing in Liz Truss just reminded me of that.

Nothing she does/did can be construed as work.

I mentioned to a gammon I know that this should be an end to the monarchy and his response was like "so we just rip up the constitution? How would we pass new laws etc?".

Brutal. No talking to these people.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

It's a particularly cruel form of institution that has someone who is 96 still pottering along thinking they have to do their "duty"

Like Ruth Bader Ginsburg she thought no successor would be better at the job, even when ancient and terminally ill. Unlike RBG, Queenie was probably right.

A reminder of what our new unelected king (who apparently has no conception of his own prodigious lack of talents and skills) thinks of us mud bloods:

“Why do they all seem to think they are qualified to do things far beyond their actual capabilities? This is all to do with the learning culture in schools – the child-centered learning emphasis which admits of no failure and tells people they can ALL be pop stars or high court judges or brilliant TV personalities-heads of states!” The king-in-waiting blamed “social utopianism” for such ideas.

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

My missus' sisters partner phoned her not long after the news broke. I could hear he was in floods of tears and genuinely upset. 

My main thought was you're 53 FFS, get a grip. 

59 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

What sort of Coronation will be apt while the country is sliding into a deep recession and many are wondering how they can afford heating and food over the winter? 

Don’t worry, I’m sure the golden carriage will be getting wheeled out 

The plebs suffering never stopped his mum

2 hours ago, Antlion said:

A reminder of what our new unelected king (who apparently has no conception of his own prodigious lack of talents and skills) thinks of us mud bloods:

“Why do they all seem to think they are qualified to do things far beyond their actual capabilities? This is all to do with the learning culture in schools – the child-centered learning emphasis which admits of no failure and tells people they can ALL be pop stars or high court judges or brilliant TV personalities-heads of states!” The king-in-waiting blamed “social utopianism” for such ideas.

To be fair, that sums up quite a few of the Pie and Bovril Politics forum regulars pretty succinctly.