Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Watching these crowds is utterly soul destroying.

What on earth possesses people to react like this to a single rich family?

What are they thinking when they cheer like this?

What is it exactly that they are celebrating?

In the middle of the worst cost of living crisis in decades too.

Platinum Jubilee: Highlights from Queen's Jubilee celebrations - BBC News

It's International Sex Workers Day today. 

They are just pretending they are celebrating something else.

(BTW - it is the birthday of somebody I know and that is why I know this.)

3 hours ago, throbber said:

You don’t even need to self insulate with a positive Covid test anymore so it’s clearly just a paper thin excuse for him not rear his nonce face and ruin the party for everyone.

Not going to be much self insulating during June tbf

52 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

It's International Sex Workers Day today. 

They are just pretending they are celebrating something else.

(BTW - it is the birthday of somebody I know and that is why I know this.)

I' can't work out the connection between 'your mate's birthday' and 'International Sex Workers Day'.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of hilarious greetings card mixup.

What are the main reasons on here to axe the monarchy?

How much does the monarchy cost the British taxpayers?

How much money does the monarchy bring to the country through tourism?

How much does Britain give in foreign aid to nuclear enabled India?

How much does Britain give in foreign aid to nuclear enabled Pakistan?

How much does Britain give in foreign aid to nuclear and space enabled China?

Tin hat is fastened!

33 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I' can't work out the connection between 'your mate's birthday' and 'International Sex Workers Day'.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of hilarious greetings card mixup.

Whenever it is somebody's birthday, I check Wikipedia to see if it is somebody else's birthday, or some famous event or whatever.

As well as being the above, it was also the birthday of the lead singer of Spandau Ballet and also the Yorkshire Ripper.  Not exactly something to boast about.

Why am I republican? 

Because I'd quite like to elect my head of state rather than having no choice in the matter. 

and because to paraphrase Morrissey "they say nothing to me about my life" 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Watching these crowds is utterly soul destroying.

What on earth possesses people to react like this to a single rich family?

What are they thinking when they cheer like this?

What is it exactly that they are celebrating?

In the middle of the worst cost of living crisis in decades too.

Platinum Jubilee: Highlights from Queen's Jubilee celebrations - BBC News

It's Dunfermline Athletics 137th Birthday today, some folk will have gone along to a party expecting it to be for that and to be deeply upset when they find Her Maj on every.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

It's Dunfermline Athletics 137th Birthday today, some folk will have gone along to a party expecting it to be for that and to be deeply upset when they find Her Maj on every.

I hope the Pars didn't hire @Shandön Par to put the bunting up... 

ambulance.jpg.7deeb6d1fed4e5b7f3cf9cec42fab3e8.jpg

15 minutes ago, Antlion said:

What are the main reasons on here to axe the monarchy?

It’s an outdated institution which promotes the idea that god has anointed one bloodline at the expense of all others. As an institution, it’s shrouded in secrecy and protection. Because it’s constitutionally inutile, it hands executive power to the PM, who can operate without an effective constitutional safeguard. At the same time, it fools people into thinking there is a constitutional safeguard. It encourages classism and corruption in public life.

How much does the monarchy cost the British taxpayers?

No one knows. That’s part of the secrecy and protection around them. We’re given fantasy figures which are based on dividing estimated costs (not including security detail costs or the loss of revenue from Crown Estates) divided by the entire population. Can you imagine if any other cost was sold to the public like this? “Well, the cost of all those dodgy PPE contracts was really just 0.0006 per person if you divide it by every subject in the UK - so why should anyone grumble?”

How much money does the monarchy bring to the country through tourism?

Who knows or cares? The “tourism” argument was dreamed up in the 80s/90s when monarchists realised their old arguments based on deference were falling apart. The monarchy doesn’t bring much in - because people generally don’t come to see the monarchy. The historic sites would remain and be opened up more if we didn’t have royals squatting in them. But even this is a non argument - either the queen is constitutionally necessary or she’s not; no country has a head of state based on the tourists they can bring in to gawp - if that were the case, the USA would have Mickey Mouse or Tom Hanks as President. When monarchists resort to the “but tourism” argument, they are, in addition to talking shite, admitting that the queen has no constitutional value and we’d be as well served by a waxwork whom tourists can pose with and receive mock knighthoods from.

And what is your answer to the other three questions?

1 minute ago, supermik said:

And what is your answer to the other three questions?

I’ve forwarded them to George Galloway and Nigel Farage. Awaiting a reply, as they’re both a bit busy at the moment not representing anyone.

39 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Whenever it is somebody's birthday, I check Wikipedia to see if it is somebody else's birthday, or some famous event or whatever.

As well as being the above, it was also the birthday of the lead singer of Spandau Ballet and also the Yorkshire Ripper.  Not exactly something to boast about.

Charlie Watts would've been absolute best choice for head of state.

34 minutes ago, Antlion said:

if that were the case, the USA would have Mickey Mouse or Tom Hanks as President.

Ronald Reagan, Donald Trump and Joe Biden all acted in fictional dramatic presentations before they became President. Reagan had a prolific filmography, too, but he wasn't quite the Tom Hanks of his day, because Jimmy Stewart was.