Terrors v Hibees - The Jack Ross Destruction Derby

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Listened to the clip another few times and honestly can't tell which of the two possible words is being used. I have difficulty in believing anyone who says that they can definitely make out what is being shouted.

I think it's a case of the context guiding what people hear; people whose primary view was the TV screen will tend to hear 'black' because Jair Tavares has just flit across the field of view and the brain is really, really, great at matching words to images. People who actually were in the away stand will tend to hear 'fat' because they heard 'You fat b*****d' repeated hundreds of times that night.

15 minutes ago, ropy said:

If the shout was coming from the other side of the ground what is the likelihood of it being aimed at the boy in the clip?

It may be we have the wrong victim, I don’t know the racial make up of the rest of the players.

At that time in the match, there were two black players, one in each team, and one recipient of the 'fat b*****d' chant, Tony Watt.

5 hours ago, HibsFan said:

The people trying to pass it off as “fat” are either utterly thick or disingenuously trying to play down racism.

Anyway, on the game, this made me think of one of the many past instances where United have cheated against us at Tannadice. That game in the Championship under Lennon in 2017 where Boyle missed our penalty but Andreu scored theirs.

Of course, we then took them back to Easter Road and dished out one of the most one-sided 3-0 pumpings I have ever seen in my life, and cruised to promotion whilst they lingered in the second tier until a global pandemic sent them up.

What I’m getting at here is, I wouldn’t be turning up at Easter Road in January if I was misfortunate enough to support that horrible DayGlo shite.  

What an absolute state to get yourself in.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Can't imagine how angry you are now it's been established it was Hibs fans.

Are there no Dundee Utd fans (or staff) at all in the main stand?

That must be quite unique in football................

Just now, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Turns out it wasn’t United fans being racist at all, and was in actual fact Hibernian fans body shaming. Disgraceful.

In fact, nothing has been established - that boy was talking shite.

If it was from the Hibs end, I am a bit surprised that nobody has come forward to claim it - its not like calling Watt a fat f**k is crime of the century, but at least it would put a lid on the racist Utd chat.

13 hours ago, Leith Green said:

In fact, nothing has been established - that boy was talking shite.

If it was from the Hibs end, I am a bit surprised that nobody has come forward to claim it - its not like calling Watt a fat f**k is crime of the century, but at least it would put a lid on the racist Utd chat.

What's this "if" nonsense? The microphones are in amongst the away fans. United have released a statement saying exactly that to allow those with sufficient critical faculties to draw the inevitable conclusion. And yet here you are.

17 hours ago, Aim Here said:

I think it's a case of the context guiding what people hear; people whose primary view was the TV screen will tend to hear 'black' because Jair Tavares has just flit across the field of view and the brain is really, really, great at matching words to images. People who actually were in the away stand will tend to hear 'fat' because they heard 'You fat b*****d' repeated hundreds of times that night.

Further statement alert.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/7533/CLUB-STATEMENT--INVESTIGATION-FINDS-ABUSE-CAME-FROM-AWAY-SUPPORT.html

Whilst it's good that it would appear no racist abuse was shouted by either support at anyone, surely a massive points deduction is the only way to deal with the relentless fat shaming of Tony Watt.

Remember Hibs, Be Kind.

On 11/10/2022 at 23:10, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

Likely a Hibs fan in the main stand raging towards the end. The mics at Tannadice pick up the away support clear as day just like that clip.

On 11/10/2022 at 23:17, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

Pay attention next time there's a United game on, you don't hear individual voices from the homes support that clearly. The audio for games is almost like sitting in with the away support though, your boys were like a mob of Victor Meldrews all night, as were the Aberdeen fans at the weekend.

On 11/10/2022 at 23:14, Leith Green said:

I think this is what the youngsters call "gaslighting" chaps.............

On 11/10/2022 at 23:19, HibsFan said:

Was prepared to say “oh well it’s only one fan, can’t let it tarnish the entire Dundee United support”, but out come the cretins on here to try and explain it away. Utterly shameless.

On 11/10/2022 at 23:20, Hoose Rice said:

So our player goes to try hurry up the play and get the ball back and the mics from the other side of the pitch picked up our own supporters

:)

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

So far, nobody has been able to establish exactly what was said, or indeed where it came from.

Thats the facts, and anything else is speculation.

I expect that detail to come from Dundee Utd investigation, not some spangle on P&B.

thank me later

eta - there are reports in the Independent this morning saying there is fresh footage of the incident, the SPFL will be reviewing it, and hopefully they will confirm there were no racist shouts - which, I am sure you will agree, is what we want to hear.

United have confirmed that the mics are in the away section. That was already known by most of us familiar with the streaming service at Tannadice but it's been formally confirmed. What else do you need to know to establish the source of the offensive shout? Or do you think that United are lying and there are, in fact, other microphones feeding into the stream? 

There seems to be a significant misunderstanding among some commentators (you and others) about the relationship between a camera image and an audio feed. The picture on the screen at the time that someone shouted something offensive is of Kieran Freeman and Jair. That does not mean that the comment was directed at either of those two players. The video feed - and this is important so please concentrate - is not controlled by the eyes of the person doing the shouting. 

This isn't difficult for most people to get their head around. 

Edit: I see there's been another statement confirming the position for the slow of thinking.

Edited by Pull My Strings

5 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

United have confirmed that the mics are in the away section. That was already known by most of us familiar with the streaming service at Tannadice but it's been formally confirmed. What else do you need to know to establish the source of the offensive shout? Or do you think that United are lying and there are, in fact, other microphones feeding into the stream? 

There seems to be a significant misunderstanding among some commentators (you and others) about the relationship between a camera image and an audio feed. The picture on the screen at the time that someone shouted something offensive is of Kieran Freeman and Jair. That does not mean that the comment was directed at either of those two players. The video feed - and this is important so please concentrate - is not controlled by the eyes of the person doing the shouting. 

Edit: I see there's been another statement confirming the position for the slow of thinking.

Complicated maffs.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

Further statement alert.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/7533/CLUB-STATEMENT--INVESTIGATION-FINDS-ABUSE-CAME-FROM-AWAY-SUPPORT.html

Whilst it's good that it would appear no racist abuse was shouted by either support at anyone, surely a massive points deduction is the only way to deal with the relentless fat shaming of Tony Watt.

Remember Hibs, Be Kind.

If any microphones have picked up someone shouting “stay on your feet you useless arsehole” at Tony Watt I am happy to admit it was me.  Save the club another investigation.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think you need to calm yourself down mate, of course I dont think Utd are lying but its always better to wait on the outcome of an investigation rather than making your own conclusions...........I also mentioned upthread that I reckoned the call was Fat b*****d and not the other.

I agree with your point that the video and audio obviously crossed at a slightly unfortunate point which has led to the misunderstanding - maybe this may prompt Utd to spend £100 on a couple of mics for the home end?

Sounds like both clubs are happy with the outcome so thats good enough for me.

Edited by Leith Green

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think you need to calm yourself down mate, of course I dont think Utd are lying but its always better to wait on the outcome of an investigation rather than making your own conclusions...........I also mentioned upthread that I reckoned the call was Fat b*****d and not the other.

I agree with your point that the video and audio obviously crossed at a slightly unfortunate point which has led to the misunderstanding - maybe this may prompt Utd to spend £100 on a couple of mics for the home end?

If you’d ever heard me on karaoke you would never have suggested that.

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I shall accept your apology in the good grace with which it was proffered. You are welcome.