Gary Irvine’s Relegation Express vs Stirling Albion

5 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Nah, that's it, I'm done with this shite.

I don't live in Forfar, but it is my home town. I have a wife who hates football and a young son, so I should be spending my weekends doing family stuff. Despite that, I give a lot of time to Forfar Athletic, but it needs planning. It's a logistical challenge to attend games, yet I've done it for years. I'm now at the point where I'm thinking what's the point of it. I am much, much happier spending my Saturdays slide tackling my wee boy in the park, the idea of making the effort of watching Forfar is less and less appealing.

I now live in Bonnyrigg, they do so much to encourage the locals and youngsters to attend. Forfar is a big town but the board are appalled at the prospect of allowing children to attend for free

The board are appalled at the thought of supporters. 

I think we've always known we rely heavily on Slater but him going off injured today really showed us up. We were creating chances and dominating the game (yes we couldn't score but that's not surprising). After that we were in disarray. Yes Abed and Jack put a good shift in when they came on but we never looked like getting back into the game.

As for the Garys playing, was it their last chance to play a professional game of football? I doubt it.

18 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Nah, that's it, I'm done with this shite.

I don't live in Forfar, but it is my home town. I have a wife who hates football and a young son, so I should be spending my weekends doing family stuff. Despite that, I give a lot of time to Forfar Athletic, but it needs planning. It's a logistical challenge to attend games, yet I've done it for years. I'm now at the point where I'm thinking what's the point of it. I am much, much happier spending my Saturdays slide tackling my wee boy in the park, the idea of making the effort of watching Forfar is less and less appealing.

I now live in Bonnyrigg, they do so much to encourage the locals and youngsters to attend. Forfar is a big town but the board are appalled at the prospect of allowing children to attend for free

Honestly, that's a choice I assume a fair few folk have made recently.

On top of all that, when people ask what you did at the weekend, there's much less shame in admitting a child outran and outplayed you, than you paid to watch a group of adults being outrun and outplayed.

Just now, Bridie Vision said:

I think we've always known we rely heavily on Slater but him going off injured today really showed us up. We were creating chances and dominating the game (yes we couldn't score but that's not surprising). After that we were in disarray. Yes Abed and Jack put a good shift in when they came on but we never looked like getting back into the game.

As for the Garys playing, was it their last chance to play a professional game of football? I doubt it.

Harkins is nailed on to start in place of Slater.

On another note, the Steward who aggressively turned on the person who laughed when he took a bottle of water from somebody nearby and when challenged on his behaviour and asked for his name gave it as Harry Secombe (false name obv) should be summarily dismissed. Although correct in taking away a bottle, he is there to make people feel safe and is part of the welcome to Station Park. No wonder Station Park stewards get such a bad name.

2 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

On another note, the Steward who aggressively turned on the person who laughed when he took a bottle of water from somebody nearby and when challenged on his behaviour and asked for his name gave it as Harry Secombe (false name obv) should be summarily dismissed. Although correct in taking away a bottle, he is there to make people feel safe and is part of the welcome to Station Park. No wonder Station Park stewards get such a bad name.

He'll get an invite to the lounge and a spot in the next Golf day. 

3 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

So, we ended the game with Hutton and Irvine at centre half? Harkins and Moore in centre mid and McCluskey - last seasons top scorer - at left wing back? Did that actually happen?

That may have been how it ended up, but there's no way there was a plan. 

Well that was different.  We could easily have been 4 down after 20 minutes had it not been for the crossbar, a couple of decent saves from Currie and a lack of composure by Forfar in front of goal.  Then Slater, a player whom I admire greatly, picked up an injury and had to be subbed.  The entire Forfar team then decided there was little point in going on and capitulated spinelessly.  

We started knocking the ball around a bit better and suddenly we were getting balls into Thomson and Carrick.  It was pretty much a procession after that although forfar did rally a bit at the beginning of the second half and we conceded our customary needless goal.

I thought Carrick was excellent throughout with good performances also from young Kai Fotheringham - what an exciting young talent he is - Banner and Thomson.  But overall it was a decent team performance - after the Slater injury at least.  Nice to see Ross McGeachie back in the defence too.  Darren Young had the luxury of giving a run out to quite a few of the subs so that's a bonus 

I hope Craig Slaters injury is not too bad - he's one of the best midfielders in the league and would be a huge loss.

Bit of a comedy ending when Gary Irvine came on as a sub. Was he the only option available?

21 minutes ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

Well that was different.  We could easily have been 4 down after 20 minutes had it not been for the crossbar, a couple of decent saves from Currie and a lack of composure by Forfar in front of goal.  Then Slater, a player whom I admire greatly, picked up an injury and had to be subbed.  The entire Forfar team then decided there was little point in going on and capitulated spinelessly.  

We started knocking the ball around a bit better and suddenly we were getting balls into Thomson and Carrick.  It was pretty much a procession after that although forfar did rally a bit at the beginning of the second half and we conceded our customary needless goal.

I thought Carrick was excellent throughout with good performances also from young Kai Fotheringham - what an exciting young talent he is - Banner and Thomson.  But overall it was a decent team performance - after the Slater injury at least.  Nice to see Ross McGeachie back in the defence too.  Darren Young had the luxury of giving a run out to quite a few of the subs so that's a bonus 

I hope Craig Slaters injury is not too bad - he's one of the best midfielders in the league and would be a huge loss.

Bit of a comedy ending when Gary Irvine came on as a sub. Was he the only option available?

we had two attacking options on the bench, in Hanratty & Flanagan, so his choice to play himself is just self indulgence.

23 minutes ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

In his head there is no option. Ever.

I was going to write a post actually worthwhile about today‘s game but I just can’t be bothered. If the management team can’t be arsed then why should the fans. It’s beyond embarrassing now.

2 wins in 17 by the way. 

10 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

we had two attacking options on the bench, in Hanratty & Flanagan, so his choice to play himself is just self indulgence.

I was surprised Flanagan wasn't playing.  One of our biggest problems this season has been defending.  Especially against players running at us with speed as nobody seems particularly keen to track any runners, leaving the defence to do Alamo defending.  Thought that would have been a decent plan to deploy against us

And I thought Forfar looked pretty decent up until the Slater injury.  Good link up play, decent balls into the box but you always had that feeling that the players didn't believe they would score. 

33 minutes ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

I was surprised Flanagan wasn't playing.  One of our biggest problems this season has been defending.  Especially against players running at us with speed as nobody seems particularly keen to track any runners, leaving the defence to do Alamo defending.  Thought that would have been a decent plan to deploy against us

And I thought Forfar looked pretty decent up until the Slater injury.  Good link up play, decent balls into the box but you always had that feeling that the players didn't believe they would score. 

I think this issue is more that they feel an incredible burden to score, and that with every passing chance, that burden grows.

Because they know there's no chance that anything will change coming from the management, because the idea that a team can alter tactics in game appears beyond them.

Forfar could have been 2 or 3 up after quarter an hour in fairness but, as soon as the Albion got in front they wilted and seemed to chuck it, the right back for the Loons, the guy with the dreadlocks looked utterly abysmal and genuinely looked like he couldn't give a f**k and was deservedly subbed, were I a Forfar supporter I'd be of the opinion he shouldn't play again for the club, absolutely terrible display and attitude in my opinion, the latter the real concern. 

Second and third goals by the Albion were fantastic and worthy of a comfortable win, Carrick, Fotheringham and Leitch all excellent today as was Blair Currie in the opening spell in goal.