Been on a trip abroad solo?

Ylf

Always wanted to go to Naples but the mrs doesn’t fancy it I’m thinking of going on my own for a long weekend or so. She says she couldn’t go on her own and it’s a bit sad what is the thoughts of the good people in here? Would you travel solo yay or nay

Done it many times and it's excellent, waking up with complete freedom as to what you do in a day.

Age / interest dependent you could always stay in a youth hostel which is a good way to meet other travellers. Imagine your wife probably isn't a fan of you joining dating apps which is a good way to meet locals.

I remember once I had to leave a restaurant and my friend wasn't finished but left with me because she didn't want to sit alone in a restaurant - something I have happily done hundreds of times without a second thought. Can always read a book / look at your phone whilst waiting. Is a couple laughing at the single guy sitting in a restaurant? Hopefully, but it says more about them than you (at least you're providing free entertainment).

If you know Italian there will be plenty of opportunities to have meet and interact with locals (or, say, sign up to a dance class, go to a Napoli match or whatever you're into). Your choice entirely that's part of the beauty of it.

Go for it, you won't regret.

Never had any problem with it back when I was single...that being said, I wouldn't go on a fortnight package holiday to some Costa on my tod...I wouldn't be comfortable with being conspicuously on my own in that kind of setting.

It's fun to just pitch up in some random city for a few days though and do your own thing without having to temper it with what someone else wants to do.

More than once I had no grand plan and it was a case of seeing where some budget airline had opened up a route to recently and was more or less giving away flights to:

"Graz? Aye, that'll do..."

17 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Always wanted to go to Naples but the mrs doesn’t fancy it I’m thinking of going on my own for a long weekend or so. She says she couldn’t go on her own and it’s a bit sad what is the thoughts of the good people in here? Would you travel solo yay or nay

She's right!

Joking apart, I'd prefer to find a place we could both go together.  (You and her, not you and me)

Aye, go for it. It's class not having to plan everything you do on the trip around what others are also wanting to do.

Going away with other folk is good as well obviously, but I always feel that people that say it's sad to go on a trip yourself are folk that wouldn't have a clue how to get by on a trip without other folk being there. 

Went to Naples a couple of years ago (not a solo trip that one) a great city. Worthwhile seeing some more of the towns and sites around the area if possible. Lovely part of the world.

Edited by AuAl

2 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Aye, go for it. It's class not having to plan everything you do on the trip around what others are also wanting to do.

Going away with other folk is good as well obviously, but I always feel that folk that say it's sad to go on a trip yourself are folk that wouldn't have a clue how to get by on a trip without other folk being there. 

Went to Naples a couple of years ago (not a solo trip that one) a great city. Worthwhile seeing some more of the towns and sites around the area if possible. Lovely part of the world.

That's a good point - I remember going to New York with a mate once and suggesting we split up one of the days and just do our own thing as I was sure there was stuff he wanted to do/see that I wasn't interested in and vice versa.

"Uh, no...it's fine...I'll just tag along with you"

36 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Is a couple laughing at the single guy sitting in a restaurant? 

I just presume that such folk are in town on business.

Done this loads of times when running 3 day long training courses and the likes.  That said, more recently I ended up on what felt like a 'date' with a waitress in Nottingham when it turned out that I was the only person in the restaurant that midweek evening.  I found it awkward eating with one person standing around awaiting my call for something, so I eventually got chatting with her and she sat down across the table eventually.  

Spent a few days in Buenos Aires by myself when breaking my return journey there, and ended up drinking two full bottles of malbec each day seeing as every restaurant I went to for lunch / dinner provided a free bottle as if it was table water from the tap.  "Fancy going to Boca Junio... ah, wait, I'm by myself and can do what I want.  I am going to Boca Juniors 😁".

Stayed a few extra days in Denver too, which allowed me to go to a Broncos v Chargers game without a bored or abandoned other half.  That said, I briefly stayed in what must have been the world's worst hostel, which was effectively a homeless shelter for the city's down and outs, before it (got?) shut down.

Considering some form of solo trip next week seeing as my other half will be in Norway for a conference.  Trying to draw up a shortlist of places that still interest me but would bore her.

Edited by Hedgecutter

57 minutes ago, Ylf said:

I don't see why it would be sad to do so. Is it really any "sadder" than sitting around the house, for example? At least you're away doing something that you want to do. 

You can do your own thing and see the things that interest you whilst you're there. In that respect you probably have a better chance of enjoying it without being dragged off to see/do things that don't interest you, in order to keep the peace. 

Can the Mrs not be persuaded at all? I'd personally prefer to go together, but if she really doesn't want to go then I'd say go for it. It's Naples, not Vietnam or somewhere on the other side of the world. Although if you did want to go somewhere like Vietnam alone, I'm sure a lot of awkward questions would materialise!

Edited by Michael W

A city break by yourself can be excellent.

I've done it a few times, but not since covid.

Last time was a last-minute thing when the missus was going away to some weekend with her pals. I decided I'd jump over to Frankfurt and go to see Eintracht. Arrived Friday night, out for a stroll and some food, wee look around then found myself a great wee pub and got chatting to some folk. Saturday read a book in a nice cafe then went out to the game early and took it all in. Found a pub showing football that night. Back on Sunday.

Fantastic.

I'd always choose to go with company as a first choice, but doing it by yourself can be plenty of fun. Did similar in Brussels and Gdansk.

I used to do it a lot with work. I had days at a time in cities and obscure locations waiting for transfers and visas etc. It has its ups and downs imo, you can go gallivanting off yourself without having to plan things, take wrong turns etc without having to anger anyone and just discover things that you normally wouldn't. However once you have made those discoveries, you have nobody to share the experience with.

37 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Im just back from a solo 4 day walking trip in Belgium & France and cannot recommend the one person holiday highly enough. Absolute bliss. Do what YOU want when YOU want to and not have to take others view into consideration. 

We usually have a standard Spain/Greece family week away in summer and then I take a few days away myself in early autumn. This my chance to properly relax and switch off. I like history and walking so usually fit  round a theme but I've also just done trips to lower league games in Europe. 

Plus a beer by yourself, outside in a small café in some wee European city watching the world go by, is one of life's great pleasures. 

DSC_0884.thumb.JPG.cc614096934de94ac9a990f626ae3865.JPG

6 minutes ago, PWL said:

Im just back from a solo 4 day walking trip in Belgium & France and cannot recommend the one person holiday highly enough. Absolute bliss. Do what YOU want when YOU want to and not have to take others view into consideration. 

We usually have a standard Spain/Greece family week away in summer and then I take a few days away myself in early autumn. This my chance to properly relax and switch off. I like history and walking so usually fit  round a theme but I've also just done trips to lower league games in Europe. 

Plus a beer by yourself, outside in a small café in some wee European city watching the world go by, is one of life's great pleasures. 

DSC_0884.thumb.JPG.cc614096934de94ac9a990f626ae3865.JPG

Are you sure you were alone?

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I used to do it a lot with work. I had days at a time in cities and obscure locations waiting for transfers and visas etc. It has its ups and downs imo, you can go gallivanting off yourself without having to plan things, take wrong turns etc without having to anger anyone and just discover things that you normally wouldn't. However once you have made those discoveries, you have nobody to share the experience with.

Like you, I did it a lot of business trips albeit mostly in the UK.  It was great to be able to eat where and when I liked and not to have to talk to anybody.  I suppose that satisfied my "alone time" needs so choosing to go on a trip without the wife would have seemed a waste when there are so many places we could go that we both would want to visit.