Scotland v Ukraine (21st Sep)

14 minutes ago, an86 said:

Any attendance figure for last night? Great turnout. Three or four years ago, you’d have been looking at loads of sections not even being opened for a midweek game like that. Great to see.

Worth noting that SSC (and maybe the general public also?) likely got the majority of the tickets for these games as part of the 4 game package that guaranteed a ticket to the playoff game, I think that will have had a large part to play. 

Total mystery why Armstrong has spent the last 8 years playing for Celtic and in the Barclays while Forrest has been playing for Ayr and Livi. (I know he’s a Hearts player but he’s played for them for about 8 weeks). 

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

Amazing that this is a potential qualifying group:

Austria

Scotland

Armenia

Luxembourg

Gibraltar

San Marino

41 minutes ago, DC92 said:

An alternative possibility:

Spain

France

Scotland

Turkey

Bulgaria 

And in accordance with the time honoured tradition of these boards, it will now definitely be neither of these groups.

3 minutes ago, Estragon said:

And in accordance with the time honoured tradition of these boards, it will now definitely be neither of these groups.

We’ve been lucky-ish with draws lately. We avoided the Italy/Portugal section of the recent playoffs, our WC qualifying group was reasonable. Only thing that’s gone against us was being drawn for away playoff finals both times since the format began, but we won away once and didn’t even make the final the other time.

I think we are due a stinker of a draw. Pot 1 opponent isn’t that important. If anything, might be better to draw the best team and hope they cruise the group and then we can compete for the 2nd and final automatic place. But we need to draw favourable opponents from pots 2/3 and 4. 

Edited by Donathan

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I think we are due a stinker of a draw. Pot 1 opponent isn’t that important. If anything, might be better to draw the best team and hope they cruise the group and then we can compete for the 2nd and final automatic place. But we need to draw favourable opponents from pots 2/3 and 4. 

There are hugely beatable teams in Pot 1 as it stands - the likes of Hungary, Denmark and Austria could be in there, all teams you'd fancy us to beat at Hampden.

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

We’ve been lucky-ish with draws lately. We avoided the Italy/Portugal section of the recent playoffs, our WC qualifying group was reasonable. Only thing that’s gone against us was being drawn for away playoff finals both times since the format began, but we won away once and didn’t even make the final the other time.

I think we are likely to be in pot 2 so that makes things easier 

14 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There’s a lot more international football now so player’s cap counts will go up quicker.  Guys like Dykes are on 23 already and he’s only been playing for us 2 year. 

I think its more that Scotland are back to being a club like side.  Clarke has a stable squad, and sticks with his players, whereas some of our previous managers have picked on form and fashion and had players in and out of squads all the time.  

Everyone laps it up when we win but if we get a bad result it'll turn quickly the other way sadly. I suppose best just to enjoy it while it's good.

Taken as a whole Steve Clarke's time as manager has been by some distance the best time watching the National team in recent memory so I'm happy about that. He's doing a great job for us.

Edited by 2426255

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Everyone laps it up when we win but if we get a bad result it'll turn quickly the other way sadly. I suppose best just to enjoy it while it's good.

Taken as a whole Steve Clarke's time as manager has been by some distance the best time watching the National team in recent memory so I'm happy about that. He's doing a great job for us.

Click bait I know, but you regularly confuse "results" with "performances"....

10 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

I see France have stolen the Scotland kits, thus explaining why we were wearing those bizarre abominations last night

different manufacturers and although the new Scotland top not in my view as nice as the recent home tops, particularly when paired with the matching blue shorts, it is growing on me and the purple shoulder Adidas stripes are quite smart. Not so sure about the away top......yet. Not great, but hardly an abomination. 

Favourite Adidas item has been the black anthem tracksuit top with greyed/shaded badge. Difficult to get hold of and the ones publicly released or at least when I was looking only had the color badge. Had a real Adidas Beckenbauer range quality to it. 

9 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Denmark?  Really?  

I mean, we literally beat Denmark 2-0 at Hampden less than a year ago. And it wasn't a narrow win, we were quite comfortable.

Denmark are definitely a team who are beatable at Hampden.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

Click bait I know, but you regularly confuse "results" with "performances"....

I thought you were at the front of the queue of people wanting the manager gone?

On 25/06/2021 at 14:28, KingRocketman II said:

What do folks think is going to happen between now and the next 5 months or so for the team to kick on and build on the "tournament experience"? Absolutely feck all in my view and we will see the same results and inconsistent in-match performances. 

On 23/06/2021 at 13:13, KingRocketman II said:

therefore thank you Clarke for your efforts and for getting us to a tournament (not forgetting the stumbling input of McLeish) - but it is time to move on. I would say before any more WC qualifiers but he will v likely remain for the next batch, and invariably we will be out of the reckoning. Then Clarke will probably move onto the English Championship. 

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I thought you were at the front of the queue of people wanting the manager gone?

I engaged with you on this before - after the Denmark away game specifically. After you spent a while defending the performance and the manager you then conceded you hadn't watched the game 🤣. Lesson learned. Enjoy your day and hope you mange to catch tomorrow's game at some point.