Scotland v Ukraine (21st Sep)

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Wouldn't mind Alan Forrest getting a call up at some point, reckon he'd have scored given the same amount of chances Armstrong had, he's got a lot better shot on him anyway and would've at least hit the target. Seems to be playing in much the same position for Hearts and has scored 3 goals the last two games.

77zS1JV.png

7 minutes ago, stressball said:

I actually knew you’d come back with this, almost four year old data is entirely redundant.

Would you say the majority of the % of Rangers fans amongst your support are pro-Scotland? 

Aye, so you did 🤣 if that was the case you wouldn't have claimed the only source to support my claim was a Rangers fan article rather than the SFA itself.

What would make it entirely redundant given that it's the most up to date information we have (I think)? Do you think the feeling of the Rangers fanbase towards the national team has somehow completely shifted since then? We've had the accusations that we don't support Scotland thrown at us for decades so I hardly believe that will be the case.

I only felt compelled to comment because on an actual Scotland match thread, you tried to turn it into some sort of us v Rangers debate when in reality we all support the same (national) team.

In regards to your question, I can only give anecdotal evidence based on those I mingle with on my supporters bus, but yes, I'd say the majority of them would want the national team to do well, it's the fan aspect that is an issue.

6 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I've been going to Scotland matches for more than twenty years, and I don't ever recall being asked to name my club team.

Don't get me wrong. Two or three guys I know that are regular Scotland attendees are also bluenoses, but overwhelmingly the majority of big Rangers fans I've met, particularly through work, are pretty indifferent to the national team.

I've certainly no experience of any Rangers fan I've met supporting England, or even supporting against Scotland though. Often wonder if that's hammed up a bit by social media shenanigans. 

The thread in question goes on to state it was data compiled from the ticket system that asked who you supported and also from forms sent out.

Again, I am not saying 100% of Rangers fans support Scotland, I am just trying to challenge these claims that we are all Scotland haters and don't want the national team to do well.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It’s actually quite shocking that one of the biggest fanbases in the country has lots of Scotland fans in it. I’d have thought most of the folk who go to Scotland games are Hamilton fans.

That's entirely fair. But my response to that would be if we were predominantly anti-Scotland, then surely you'd expect a similar sized fan base like Celtic to have more than us? They weren't even second.

It's just tiresome when you come on to join in a Scotland match thread you find half-baked, disingenuous comments designed to make it seem like we don't want Scotland to do well.

Edited by AJF

26 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

At no point in the past decade have I ever been asked by the SSC who I support and I go to all home games, near enough all the away games and generally fill in a whole manner of shite surveys for them when they send them out in the SSC emails.

Going by the replies to that twitter thread the data was compiled back when there was 10k members and there's now 38k so even if it was a decent sample size back it's not something I'd be using to prove anything either way.

Without disagreeing with any of that, whether we like it or not it is abundantly clear that Rangers and Celtic fans make up the largest two individual groups of football supporters in Scotland. Whilst I suspect in my experience that Rangers fans are more likely to be Scotland fans than Celtic ones are, it's not remotely a reach to suggest that a lift of thirty thousand members is likely to find that most of them identify as fans of one or the other. If you added the average supports of the next half dozen teams together it would barely come to that in total.

People are mistaking the vocal gobshites who explicitly go out of their way to make a lot of noise on social media to your average run of the mill fans. I have four close friends who are Rangers fans and all of them are massive Scotland fans too - I went to every game with one of them for the best part of a decade, and he still goes with his dad (also a Rangers fan) now.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

People are mistaking the vocal gobshites who explicitly go out of their way to make a lot of noise on social media to your average run of the mill fans. I have four close friends who are Rangers fans and all of them are massive Scotland fans too - I went to every game with one of them for the best part of a decade, and he still goes with his dad (also a Rangers fan) now.

Yep, your twitter lads who are all fat, bald and have @UVF1690WATP as their handle always get exposure via 100s of quote tweets, but for every one of those wankers, there’s a Rangers fan who wants Scotland to win every game 10-0.

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, your twitter lads who are all fat, bald and have @UVF1690WATP as their handle always get exposure via 100s of quote tweets, but for every one of those wankers, there’s a Rangers fan who wants Scotland to win every game 10-0.

Of all the Rangers  fan in my work I only know of one that actively wants Scotland to do well. A large number have it in their head the SFA and SNT are out to get them, then the rest “don’t care.”

I'm hoping after last nights performance that June was just an unfortunately timed blip (all be it a very big one).  Thought it was a very good performance by all last night. no one looked off it at all. There's just a great sense of togetherness/connection between this group of players and the supporters. You want them to do well and be successful. 2 more big pushes needed this week!

1 hour ago, stressball said:

Of all the Rangers  fan in my work I only know of one that actively wants Scotland to do well. A large number have it in their head the SFA and SNT are out to get them, then the rest “don’t care.”

Thanks for posting this. Debate put to bed IMO 

On 20/09/2022 at 23:51, Les Cabbage said:

Interesting that this stats guy gives us a 67% chance of getting 2nd seed.

I’m assuming that’s as the best runner up given Ukraine are up there in his predictions too.

This guy now has us at 76% to win the group and 91% chance of pot 2.

Ukraine 23% chance to win the group and 45% pot 2.

There is clearly a decent chance that the runner up of our group will be in pot 2 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This is totally true. There is plenty to beat Rangers over and most of us love to do it on a fairly regularly basis but there are thousands of staunch Scotland fans who head to Ibrox on a Saturday. Utter nonsense to even suggest otherwise. One of the best things about watching Scotland home and abroad is how the club support (almost always) goes out the window. Just like we should proud as f**k as a small nation that more people attend matches weekend in weekend out per capita than any country in Europe. 

32 minutes ago, Donathan said:

This guy now has us at 76% to win the group and 91% chance of pot 2.

Ukraine 23% chance to win the group and 45% pot 2.

There is clearly a decent chance that the runner up of our group will be in pot 2 

Amazing that this is a potential qualifying group:

Austria

Scotland

Armenia

Luxembourg

Gibraltar

San Marino

56 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Scotland pump Ukraine.

Alan Forrest would have enhanced the performance.

What a board

Sure as feck would've scored a couple of those chances Armstrong had anyway, i'm sure Dykes got the same derision on here from a fair few of you too though, and some still don't like him as a good enough player to be playing for Scotland.

3 hours ago, ftk said:
4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:
Wouldn't mind Alan Forrest getting a call up at some point, reckon he'd have scored given the same amount of chances Armstrong had, he's got a lot better shot on him anyway and would've at least hit the target. Seems to be playing in much the same position for Hearts and has scored 3 goals the last two games.

Alan Forrest, he's better than James!

:thumsup2

4 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Alan Forrest is decent but would suggest he is quite a distance away from the squad, never mind the first team; and whilst Armstrong can be frustrating at times, he is a far far superior player to Forrest (if you are seeking to compare the two).

Aside from a lack of composure with his finishing, which is unusual for Armstrong (nor is he known for his heading ability), Armstrong had a good game and I would hope and expect him to start again on Saturday. 

Better finisher than Armstong anyway, and yep, was frustrating as feck seeing Armstrong missing so many chances. Agree yeah, he'll have to have a decent season with Hearts before he'll get noticed at International level, heading in the right direction though. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Without new data and tbh whats the point. Its all personal anecdotal stuff.

I've got lots of celtic and rangers supporting mates and honestly only one (rangers fan) supports Scotland. And tbh hes not very passionate or interested.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

8 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Austria

Scotland

Armenia

Luxembourg

Gibraltar

San Marino

Other than the genuine PTSD I’d get from trying to get to and from Armenia in June, I’d be absolutely buzzing with this. No chance it happens now 🤣

18 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Austria

Scotland

Armenia

Luxembourg

Gibraltar

San Marino

An alternative possibility:

Spain

France

Scotland

Turkey

Bulgaria 

41 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Sure as feck would've scored a couple of those chances Armstrong had anyway, i'm sure Dykes got the same derision on here from a fair few of you too though, and some still don't like him as a good enough player to be playing for Scotland.

:thumsup2

Better finisher than Armstong anyway, and yep, was frustrating as feck seeing Armstrong missing so many chances. Agree yeah, he'll have to have a decent season with Hearts before he'll get noticed at International level, heading in the right direction though. 

Can I just check, you’re taking the piss aye? You’re not seriously suggesting that Scotland should drop Stuart Armstrong in favour of Alan Forrest, are you?