Scotland v Ukraine (21st Sep)

IMO part of Ukraine’s below par performance is related to the fact that the domestic league has now resumed and therefore the national team had the same amount of prep time as we did, whereas in June our players were knackered from the long season whilst there’s had been in training together for weeks. 

I would think in a series of neutral venue games with everyone fit and equal prep time, Scotland and Ukraine are roughly evenly matched teams. 

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

IMO part of Ukraine’s below par performance is related to the fact that the domestic league has now resumed and therefore the national team had the same amount of prep time as we did, whereas in June our players were knackered from the long season whilst there’s had been in training together for weeks. 

I would think in a series of neutral venue games with everyone fit and equal prep time, Scotland and Ukraine are roughly evenly matched teams. 

father ted GIF by Pixel Bandits

21 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

But there's no point looking backwards its done now. It was a big step forward for us tonight.

It felt like a big step forward when we played Denmark last November.

It proved not to be something we could sustain though.  The challenge this time is to build on it.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well over forty years.

I think the extreme swings in performance level are particularly pronounced just now though, which is why I posted about it.

Yep. I expect us to play nowhere near as good as tonight on Saturday. It’s what Scotland teams do.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It felt like a big step forward when we played Denmark last November.

It proved not to be something we could sustain though.  The challenge this time is to build on it.

You could also argue this time we’ve got two games to follow it up, last time we waited four months for the next international break - which consisted of two friendlies…

Just back. Good game - I have a feeling when I watch it back it will look like we dominated them for long periods on the video but it wasn't the feeling I had at the game. Until we got the goal I felt it could have gone either way. Glad for everyone involved that we won and won well. It was needed after the games in June.

Just now, 2426255 said:

Just back. Good game - I have a feeling when I watch it back it will look like we dominated them for long periods on the video but it wasn't the feeling I had at the game. Until we got the goal I felt it could have gone either way. Glad for everyone involved that we won and won well. It was needed after the games in June.

I’m not sure I agree. I was at the game as well and thought after the first 10-15mins, we did take control and dominate.

That said you are always a bit wary of a counter-attack but thought we were decent but a bit toothless up to the second half and then stepped  it. 

Great second half but a shame about Patterson’s injury in the first half, he looked like he thought it was a bad one but let’s hope it’s not. 

First half was pretty even and they beat the press (which they were inviting) a few times to the extent that we started sitting off them a bit. Ukraine are a very interesting team to watch tactically but they clearly take risks and second half  they started to tire and misplace passes. We were very sharp and should have had a few before we did.

Would really like to see us stick with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 as our principal formation, but certainly at least having the option and being comfortable switching to it is a huge asset.