Scotland v Ukraine (21st Sep)

Really enjoyed that. Thought the overall performance was really good from basically every player. Lots of complaints from those watching at home about Armstrong, I thought he was OK, he looked decent enough going forward in the 1st half but was on the opposite side of the pitch second half and apparently it was him that missed a couple of big chances? Sometimes difficult to catch in the stadium. Christie put a monstrous shift in. Despite Big Daddy Dykes coming on and doing the absolute goddamn business, I'd still stick with Adams on Saturday.

How weird a player is McSauce by the way? He constantly goes from doing something that looks world class to doing something absolutely awful. So odd. I am also convinced a couple of his defensive runs in the opening 10 minutes were him doing what he did when he was at RCB and it just coming naturally, he was caught out of position a few times early on where he was tracking back in towards the centre halves then almost trying to make up for it by pushing forward immediately afterwards. 

I said last year I didn't think the back four would work with this squad. Since then I think we have progressed in a couple of areas - I think Patterson is an infinitely better player than he was so we now have a real player in that position, and Hickey coming on was really good as well. I was a huge critic of his after the June match but he looked really good. I also think that McGregor has continued to improve and him and McTominay (who I still am not convinced with as a "defensive" midfielder") link up pretty well in the middle. As someone said above, if we're playing that shape it'll be interesting where Gilmour fits in because he does feel a bit more luxury in a sense.

Anyway, boring myself, just a couple of things from being in the stadium. Scotland fans are fucking morons. Honestly some of the worst shouts on the planet coming from the North stand tonight. The usual "get it forward", "do something with it" to be expected but some folk getting absolutely apoplectic with rage when we pass it more than 5 times and we're not in the opposition box. This was made more hilarious around the 10 minute mark where Ukraine passed the ball what felt like about 50 times over a 2-3 minute phase of play and created a good opportunity. We get the ball back and after 20 seconds of passing "DAE SUMMIN WAE IT". Ridiculous. 

Finally, VAR is fucking shite, and there is absolutely nothing that will convince me otherwise. From my angle at the first goal, basically in line with McGinn's running direction, for all I knew he could have been 5 yards offside. The 2 minutes after the goal with the Ukraine players surrounding the referee and the ref having his hand on his earpiece completely ruins any goal celebration for me. Rubbish.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He was.  I remember noticing Ryan Christie putting on about a stone in muscle and becoming a much more effective player for it.  Hickey seems to have done the same, albeit he was about 12 when I saw him playing regularly for Hearts. 

Yip, I noticed that too. f**k knows what they feed the players down south but they defo bulk them up with muscle. McGregor and Taylor looked like skelfs compared to the rest of the team 😂.

11 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah its a fair point, he was probably the worst player if you want to go looking for that.

Just to go completely against the we shouldn't be shoehorning in players, id be tempted to play Robertson there in front of Tierney.

Opposite for me, Id play Tierney ahead of Robertson oi we stay with this formation.

Robertson needs space to run into whereas Tierney is better at carrying the ball. I genuinely think Robertson is lost without someone on front of him to create space.

Just now, Jacky1990 said:

Opposite for me, Id play Tierney ahead of Robertson oi we stay with this formation.

Robertson needs space to run into whereas Tierney is better at carrying the ball. I genuinely think Robertson is lost without someone on front of him to create space.

Tbh, id just let the pair of them sort it out. One runs forward one covers. Both play both positions

A relentless left sided destroying machine

We're a weird team currently.

Plenty sides are capable of inconsistency, but we seem to take it to extremes.  In the last year, we've delivered a couple of really complete performances.  Between them though, we managed to produce some utterly pitiful stuff. 

That was hugely encouraging tonight, but I've still got little idea what to expect on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I'd take Crocker narrating my everyday life over having to endure Matterface tbf.

Even McCoist seemed low energy next to that dullard.

Only on the bus back now so I’ve only had the chance to get the twitter clips with Rory Hamilton’s commentary, but I can guarantee he’s infinitely better than both 

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

We're a weird team currently.

Plenty sides are capable of inconsistency, but we seem to take it to extremes.  In the last year, we've delivered a couple of really complete performances.  Between them though, we managed to produce some utterly pitiful stuff. 

That was hugely encouraging tonight, but I've still got little idea what to expect on Saturday.

Yeah if we had played like that in the first ukraine game and all that.

But there's no point looking backwards its done now. It was a big step forward for us tonight.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He was.  I remember noticing Ryan Christie putting on about a stone in muscle and becoming a much more effective player for it.  Hickey seems to have done the same, albeit he was about 12 when I saw him playing regularly for Hearts. 

Hickey has the potential to be ridiculous. In a good way.

2 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Just home, what a second half. Looked like a totally different team when we switched to the back four.

Second half performance was as good as I've seen from us in a long time. No voice left, can't believe I have to go to work tomorrow. 

20220921_194110.jpg

20220921_205335.jpg

Looked like a back four from the start to me. McTominay might have dropped deep on occasion but he mainly played in the midfield throughout. 

1 minute ago, KirkieRR said:

Not sure what surprised me most: how poor Ukraine were (relative to last June), or how good we were, especially in the last half hour.

Have McTominay or Christie, for starters, ever played better for Scotland?

McTominay > Casemiro. Scotland >  Brazil. S-t-r-e-c-h-I-n-g.