Scotland v Ukraine (21st Sep)

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

Outstanding result. Turns out I was completely wrong about the back four.

We were excellent, especially second half. Would still like to see us take care of the ball slightly better and show more composure at times.

Concerned about Patterson though and disappointed Gilmour didn't get some game time.

2nd paragraph, I think considering we've not played like that for a long time it was better than anyone could have expected.

We will get better the more we play it. And if its better than that were probably going to win the euros 🤷‍♂️

Clarkes finally shown a bit of flexibility with the formation. But I'm not against going back to the 5 when were playing one of the big dogs. But winnable games tonight is what we should be sticking with, hopefully.

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I'd still be starting adams in the next games, he was unlucky not to score. And his movement and touch were excellent. There really wasn't a bad performance tonight from us.

I was surprised how well Hendry played tbh considering he's not been playing. He was unbeatable tonight.

Depends how you define "bad". I thought Christie completely disappeared in the 45th minute and was next seen when trooping off to be subbed. He wasn't bad as such, just nowhere to be seen. I'd have hooked him long before Armstrong.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The one position which is a real weakness is the Ryan Christie role. He's been awful for almost 2 years now, continually gives the ball away and has no end product - 1 assist and 0 goals in last 18 appearances. However in fairness to Clarke I couldn't offer a better alternative to play that role given our lack of options so we'll maybe just have to persevere

Sorry, not having the Christie slander.

The guy works his bollocks off every game and covered for Tierney at left back whenever he got caught higher up the pitch.

Aye, his decision making isnt great at times and he should be more of a threat, but he creates a lot of openings for himself and others by being the trigger for the press.

We are a better team with him in it IMO 

f**k any negativity - that was as good a Scotland pressing performance I have ever seen and right up there with the Denmark game last year.

I was genuinely very very proud of the players tonight, they pressed everything and forced Ukraine into mistake after mistake. And even though some of our finishing was brutal, not a single player gave up. Head up and kept going and going and finally got our rewards. 

Special mention again to the difference Austin MacPhee has made to our set pieces. Unbelievable difference over the last couple of years. Another two goals tonight, would be interested to know how many goals from set plays we have scored since he came on board. 

Catching up on the thread and folk saying at start of second half how boring the game is and how turgid we are to watch - go take a flying f**k. That performance was anything but boring. 

Great performance and especially the never say die effort and commitment every single player showed tonight.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Depends how you define "bad". I thought Christie completely disappeared in the 45th minute and was next seen when trooping off to be subbed. He wasn't bad as such, just nowhere to be seen. I'd have hooked him long before Armstrong.

Yeah its a fair point, he was probably the worst player if you want to go looking for that.

Just to go completely against the we shouldn't be shoehorning in players, id be tempted to play Robertson there in front of Tierney.

Haven’t read the thread so apologies if it’s already been said numerous times, but Che Adams. Won’t take a lot of credit for tonight - rightly or wrongly - my god does he do a power of work for this team. Takes hit after hit. Wasn’t quite Denmark at home, but f**k me 

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Hickey was fantastic tonight. I thought he was poor in the playoffs but a couple of months of starting at RB in the EPL has really matured his game. I didn’t notice a drop off at all when Patterson went off. 

He was.  I remember noticing Ryan Christie putting on about a stone in muscle and becoming a much more effective player for it.  Hickey seems to have done the same, albeit he was about 12 when I saw him playing regularly for Hearts. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Haven’t read the thread so apologies if it’s already been said numerous times, but Che Adams. Won’t take a lot of credit for tonight - rightly or wrongly - my god does he do a power of work for this team. Takes hit after hit. Wasn’t quite Denmark at home, but f**k me 

Thought he was excellent. His first touch is a league apart from anyone else in the team.  He’s only going to end up with about ten goals in his Scotland career, but he is a pretty important player nonetheless.   And that nutmeg just before he came off was glorious. 

Christie is always the spearhead of the press as his energy levels are ridiculous and is always able to put defenders under pressure, which forces them to launch it or possession is turned over. 

The ball came to him at 100mph from 10 yards away about 3 times tonight and couldn’t really do anything about it bouncing off him. 

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Thought he was excellent. His first touch is a league apart from anyone else in the team.  He’s only going to end up with about ten goals in his Scotland career, but he is a pretty important player nonetheless.   And that nutmeg just before he came off was glorious. 

Hes only 26 and has 5 already, if we start playing like that more he will be scoring for us more i think.

I know what you mean tho, hes work rate and touch and ability to lead the line are just as important for us.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

I hate to bring it back to club football, and he’s at least twenty times the player, but he reminds me of Chris Kane in the double winning season. Suits this system absolutely perfectly and allows so much to happen behind him. Facilitator.