Scotland v Ukraine (21st Sep)

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, I’m sure that’s true.

I also think that’s the first time he’s scored that wasn’t either an equaliser or a winner.

Some boy. 

What a daddy he is.

Superb performance, only minor complaint is the goals took too long to arrive. Other than that everyone was excellent. I thought McTominay had his best game for us in a long time and Hickey bullied their 'wonderkid' which has gone a long way to convincing me he's capable on the right.

Good to see Clarke is willing to change formation from the start. Let's fucking finish the job in the next two games now.

Really enjoyed that. We looked very assured at times and pressed with an intensity i haven't seen from us for some time. Having Patterson go off only to be replaced by Hickey epitomises the fact that the quality of our squad and the level of players we have to pick from is creeping up a level, especially considering our RB situation as recently as 18 months or so ago.  The June fixtures felt like a step back in time but hopefully it proves to just be a blip on account of most of our main players being gubbed at the end of a long season with little break after the covid season + Euros the year before. 

Having said that, Zinchenko being injured made Ukraine a different side tonight and at times they hardly looked arsed, but we dominated them and played with a real aggression winning the ball high up and then being direct in attack so i'd rather focus on that. The Tierney/Robertson debate is beyond tiresome, but Tierney was outstanding and it's difficult to justify shuffling him inside to accommodate Robertson at this point.

Now to fucking batter this lot on Saturday. 

Edited by Fratelli

Outstanding result. Turns out I was completely wrong about the back four.

We were excellent, especially second half. Would still like to see us take care of the ball slightly better and show more composure at times.

Concerned about Patterson though and disappointed Gilmour didn't get some game time.

A very small sample size from which to judge, but I think tonight showed a couple of things, the first of which people have been saying for a while.

When either Robertson or Tierney aren't available we should be playing with a back 4. To be honest even when they are available I'd be going with a back 4 (although I'd listen to arguments), but given Tierney's injury problems over the years I think it's foolish building a team based on both of them being available. The back 3 also came from a time a few years back when we had almost no competent defenders (Charlie Mulgrew and Mikey Devlin anyone?) so there was probably a need to clog that area up to provide support. It's still one of our weaker areas but we have a few options there now with a bit more experience and we can deal with just having 2 centre backs, assuming they are properly protected in midfield.

McTominay and McGregor with McGinn in a forward role is clearly our best midfield. Gilmour may be the golden boy for some but he does not provide the protection we need for the defence, the biggest difference tonight compared with the last Ukraine game was that they weren't able to continually run off our midfield (mainly Gilmour). Hopefully he'll get a run of games with Brighton but he shouldn't be in the starting 11 unless we have injuries and/or he has been performing well with Brighton, this is a massive season for him.

The one position which is a real weakness is the Ryan Christie role. He's been awful for almost 2 years now, continually gives the ball away and has no end product - 1 assist and 0 goals in last 18 appearances. However in fairness to Clarke I couldn't offer a better alternative to play that role given our lack of options so we'll maybe just have to persevere.

Ukraine looked a difference side than the last game but that was partly down to us. A much more encouraging performance which we need to repeat on Saturday before we can think we've turned a corner.

We were excellent, especially second half. Would still like to see us take care of the ball slightly better and show more composure at times.
Concerned about Patterson though and disappointed Gilmour didn't get some game time.
Sounds like Patterson's injury isn't too serious (Sportsound)

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
3 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Sounds like Patterson's injury isn't too serious (Sportsound)

Didn't Clarke say they weren't sure yet, but that it didn't look great?

Superb performance, only minor complaint is the goals took too long to arrive. Other than that everyone was excellent. I thought McTominay had his best game for us in a long time and Hickey bullied their 'wonderkid' which has gone a long way to convincing me he's capable on the right.
Good to see Clarke is willing to change formation from the start. Let's fucking finish the job in the next two games now.

If he has no fear of putting Ronaldo on his arse he is more than capable of dealing with Ukraine’s “wonderkid”!!!