Scotland v Ukraine (21st Sep)

2 weeks until till this titanic Nations League clash. Will big Stevie stubbornly stick with his 352 system?

Will we get overrun in midfield again or will we see some tactical nous from the gaffer as he packs out the  midfield and implements the much talked about 4 at the back.

Will Robbo turn up hungover again and sell the jerseys? Can't wait. 🤥

Ukraine announced their squad yesterday.

Goalkeepers: Georgiy Bushchan (Dynamo Kyiv), Dmytro Riznyk (Vorskla Poltava), Andriy Lunin (Real Madrid, Spain).

Defenders: Oleksandr Karavaev, Oleksandr Tymchyk, Illia Zabarnyi (all Dynamo Kyiv), Mykola Matviyenko, Serhiy Kryvtsov, Valeriy Bondar, Bohdan Mykhailichenko (all Shakhtar Donetsk), Vitaliy Mykolenko (Everton, England), Taras Kacharaba ( Slavia, Czech Republic).

Midfielders: Taras Stepanenko, Mykhailo Mudryk, Oleksandr Zubkov (all Shakhtar Donetsk), Serhiy Sydorchuk, Viktor Tsygankov, Mykola Shaparenko (all Dynamo Kyiv), Oleksandr Pikhalyonok (SC Dnipro-1 Dnipro), Andriy Yarmolenko (Al-Ain, UAE), Ruslan Malinovskyi (Atalanta, Italy), Oleksandr Zinchenko (Arsenal, England), Viktor Kovalenko (Spezia, Italy).

Forwards: Roman Yaremchuk (Club Brugge, Belgium), Artem Dovbyk (SC Dnipro-1 Dnipro).

Reserve: Artem Besedin (Dynamo Kyiv), Oleksiy Hutsulyak, Eduard Sarapiy (both - SC Dnipro-1 Dnipro), Yehor Nazaryna (Zorya Luhansk), Eduard Sobol (Club Brugge, Belgium), Danylo Ihnatenko (Bordeaux, France).

https://en.uaf.ua/article/46147

Permutations for us to win the group:

Assuming Ireland and Ukraine both beat Armenia, we need to either:

• Beat Ukraine home and away (Ireland result irrelevant. We'd have at least 12 points, Ukraine/Ireland no more than 10)
  • Get 4 points against Ukraine and at least a point against Ireland (We'd be tied with Ukraine on 11, but would finish above them on head to head)

Both Armenia and Ireland pretty much need snookers to win the group, Armenia would need a bunch of things to go right:

• Win both remaining games, including beating Ukraine by more than 3 goals
  • Both Scotland/Ukraine games end in draws
  • Ireland beat Scotland

Ireland would need:

• Beat both Scotland and Armenia
  • Ukraine drop points against Armenia
  • Ukraine get no more than one point against Scotland (Or get 2 and lose to Armenia)
  • Scotland get no more than 4 points against Ukraine

Basically it's looking like a straight shootout between Scotland and Ukraine.

We will need either:

• 6 points against Ukraine
  • 4 points against Ukraine and 1 against Ireland
  • 2/3 points against Ukraine and beat Ireland and Ukraine drop points to Armenia
  • 2/3 points against Ukraine and draw with Ireland and Ukraine lose to Armenia and GD swing in our favour

I posted this before the Ukraine game back in June and I'd say they are still the main areas I would be thinking of finding solutions to for the upcoming game.

On 21/05/2022 at 12:00, 2426255 said:

Based on what I've seen there is nothing to fear with Ukraine, but they're no doubt better than a lot of people think.

• They're very good on the ball and capable of finding their way out of a tight press, but equally have lost goals recently from being caught out playing out from defence.
  • They can be patient and control games through possession or be quick and direct on counter attacks.
  • They always have good width and pacey defenders - so can play high full backs and won't tend to get done by fast attackers.
  • Good with both a back four or a back three and superb midfield options and variation.

Against Bulgaria and Bosnia the full backs pushed high and the three central midfielders tended to stay deep to help build the play with the two centre backs or alternatively against Rijeka the central midfielder of the three dropped to form a back three with the two centre backs like Billy Gilmour sometimes does for Scotland.

• I think we might be able to use set plays and general physicality against them effectively, but I've only seen limited evidence and for the most part can deal with physical attacks okay, that's something Bosnia and Bulgaria tried.
  • I think we could do it better than either of those countries, but the flip side being if we don't keep the ball by going too direct, too often they'll not give us the ball back quickly. 

25 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Link

Premier Sports selling off rights to ITV tells me their viewing figures must have been shambolic.

When Premier Sports announced they bought the rights in May they committed to showing 3 games free to air over the next 2 years so I don't think it tells us anything.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

13 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Yeah Premier get to look like the good guys, while also making a bit of dosh from ITV and it will hopefully (for them) act as a way to get some advertising to try and get subscribers for the next two games.

ITV are doing their own coverage so unless there’s some advertising built in to the deal, Premier would be relying on people thinking “I wonder how I can see the rest of Scotland’s games?”.