The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

In what world will this sabotage create jobs? No one is going to be fucking buying anything since we won't have any money by the time the banks, the energy companies and the supermarkets are done rinsing everyone.

Debt collecting agencies maybe?

Screenshot_20220928-183916.thumb.jpg.5a088a6217464e4235c601746286a6d8.jpg

You ever watched Upstairs, Downstairs?

After pretty much crashing the bound, the economy and pension funds, last night thought I'd chance £10 on her bring punted which I got at 14/1. One night later, the odds have been reduced to 8/1. What do you think her chances will be that she'll get punted before the end of the year?0b3f6646e022dc71dcf29ed207abb339.jpg84a877f0a96f8f78e2abb15397cbfaa6.jpg

I can see it happening.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

After pretty much crashing the pound, the economy and pension funds, last night thought I'd chance £10 on her bring punted which I got at 14/1. One night later, the odds have been reduced to 8/1. What do you think her chances will be that she'll get punted before the end of the year?0b3f6646e022dc71dcf29ed207abb339.jpg84a877f0a96f8f78e2abb15397cbfaa6.jpg

Current tory party rules have it that she can't face a leadership challenge for a year. So unless the rules change (and there was talk of it to punt Johnson) the only way she would go this year is by resigning. And this government don't do resignations.

If they want efficiency savings they could merge some of the overpaid cabinet posts

The posts of Secretary of State for NI, Wales and Scotland and call it something nauseating like Minister for the Nations 

Merge Business with the Treasury, it's all money anyway 

Merge the Foreign Office with Defence. If diplomacy fails with foreigners we usually end up shooting them

Merge Food with Health for some joined up thinking about healthy food. Health can also get sport from the abolished DCMS because it's healthy 

Culture can go to Education because it's all clever stuff

Media can go to the Home Office. TV licences and censorship sounds vaguely legal 

The Department for Budget responsibility will be abolished on grounds of cost. Ironic.

32 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The posts of Secretary of State for NI, Wales and Scotland and call it something nauseating like Minister for the Nations 

None for England? I suppose they might as well just revive the Dominion Office and Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs then. “Dominionist” is probably more accurate than “unionist” for those determinedly against the UK being part of a union, anyway.

4 hours ago, David Fernández said:

After pretty much crashing the pound, the economy and pension funds, last night thought I'd chance £10 on her bring punted which I got at 14/1. One night later, the odds have been reduced to 8/1. What do you think her chances will be that she'll get punted before the end of the year?0b3f6646e022dc71dcf29ed207abb339.jpg84a877f0a96f8f78e2abb15397cbfaa6.jpg

I got 20/1 on Sept 6th.

image.png

When asset prices accumulate, as they have been for most of the last 12 years, this leads to increased inequality. Those who have a lot get more, those without assets face a declining standard of living.

Conversely, a drop in house prices will broadly be a good thing for society as it allows greater access to people getting on the housing market, as well as a generational transfer of wealth to the young (or at least a partial reversal of the opposite). Sadly if such a drop is as a result of increased interest rates then the effect will be largely cancelled out.

Quite extraordinary times, I'm actually not paid in GBP (or USD sadly!) so the drop in the pound is good for my income but very bad for my wealth which is almost entirely held in GBP. I even did a big EUR to GBP conversion last month...

Would like a competent government please, and surely Scotland won't continue to stay on this path to destruction with the UK.

6 hours ago, Adamski said:

Current tory party rules have it that she can't face a leadership challenge for a year. So unless the rules change (and there was talk of it to punt Johnson) the only way she would go this year is by resigning. And this government don't do resignations.

I'm confused.

Theresa May survived a vote of no confidence and was safe for at least a year but was gone before it.

Similarly Boris Johnson.

This rule is as much use as anti-torpedo paint.  If they want her gone she will be gone.

Also, Graham Brady smugly fists himself with unbridled joy everytime Kay Burley asks him how many letters he has received and he has to reply "Now Kay *inserts fist* you know as well as I do *grunting* that this is a confidential process *gag reflex* and I cannot comment on *shuddering sigh* anything until a threshold is reached *wrist breaches own threshold* and a carefully established process is enacted *brays and whinnies like a newly geldes horse* as is normal *spattering sound*.

14 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Also, Graham Brady smugly fists himself with unbridled joy everytime Kay Burley asks him how many letters he has received and he has to reply "Now Kay *inserts fist* you know as well as I do *grunting* that this is a confidential process *gag reflex* and I cannot comment on *shuddering sigh* anything until a threshold is reached *wrist breaches own threshold* and a carefully established process is enacted *brays and whinnies like a newly geldes horse* as is normal *spattering sound*.

Screenshot_20211221-131328_Reddit.thumb.jpg.2ab583a19e91a52badcf05b911564cf1.jpg

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I'm confused.

Theresa May survived a vote of no confidence and was safe for at least a year but was gone before it.

Similarly Boris Johnson.

This rule is as much use as anti-torpedo paint.  If they want her gone she will be gone.

May went because she was strangled by her own MPs and had no prospect of getting her policies past them. Similarly, Johnson went only reluctantly because he ran out of MPs willing to serve him and couldn't govern. 

Both were safe from removal but had nowhere else to go. But I can't see them punting Truss at this stage for fear it'll look tinpot (it does tbh, but we already have a tinpot government that has no idea what it's doing). Indeed they'll probably vote her budget through. 

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Conversely, a drop in house prices will broadly be a good thing for society as it allows greater access to people getting on the housing market, as well as a generational transfer of wealth to the young (or at least a partial reversal of the opposite). Sadly if such a drop is as a result of increased interest rates then the effect will be largely cancelled out.

House prices dropping might not be a bad thing but it won't allow any more people to get on the property ladder. Demand for housing will remain higher than supply in the UK for the foreseeable future.

21 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Just ask yourself - if Labour did this, would the Daily Mail be running articles talking about "cool heads" "keeping your nerve" and so on? No chance. 

If the economy had tanked only half as much as it already has but with Corbyn as PM, there would have been a military coup already.

Truss has taken the odd move of deciding to reenter the public eye this morning with a succession of local radio appearances where she has been absolutely monstered, with local radio being far less likely to give you an easy time than Andrew Marr or the likes. Not that it actually matters as they clearly aren't going to change course, but some more negative publicity that may increase pressure from backbenchers going into conference.

Announcing the ravaging of what little remains of the welfare state a few weeks down the line from announcing the budget was always going to be the plan - lower taxes, higher interest rates, a smaller state and personal profiteering (in this case through shorting the pound) are exactly what Tories exist for - but they clearly didn't foresee the extent to which the markets would be spooked.