The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

12 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Dawson Park Boy absolutely reads both the Daily Mail and Daily Express.

These are the morons that voted the country into this mess and they still put the blame on benefit scroungers and poor people.

........and the illegal immigrants.  (always an easy target in the blame game)  

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There's talk that the Scottish government need to do something or else high earners will move to England.

The response should be telling them to get fucked then. We shouldn't be facilitating greed.

The usual scaremongering pish from yoon doormats. Hardly anyone is going to go to the hassle of selling/buying a house, moving all their stuff, changing kids schools etc just to save 5k in tax. It's abject nonsense propogated by losers and trolling simpletons. 

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There's talk that the Scottish government need to do something or else high earners will move to England.

The response should be telling them to get fucked then. We shouldn't be facilitating greed.

The reality is, would it be worth moving for the meagre tax savings.

For example if you earn £50K pa, tax saving if you live in England would be approx £180 

£100K per year would save £2500 - Only when you get up at the £500K per annum earnings would significant savings around £24,000 make you consider it - but even then house prices would probably swallow that up on your move.

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yep, once they do their sums adding up commuting costs, prescriptions, education, and house prices they'll be disappearing right enough. 

The divide between the haves and the have nots is going to become even more pronounced. As is the divide between a country abandoning the majority to sink in a country in thrall to to financial institutions and Scotland, which has the chance of a different way forward. Time to leave the Untied Kingdom.

2 hours ago, btb said:

Trickle down economics - tug your foreskin whenever your betters, the super-rich, appear and spit on the scum beneath you (and don't even think about what might happen should you suffer a bit of bad luck - don't even think about it).

I suppose those who have been circumcised will have to make do with tugging forelocks.  Demonstrate subservience without getting arrested.

23 minutes ago, Theatom said:

The reality is, would it be worth moving for the meagre tax savings.

For example if you earn £50K pa, tax saving if you live in England would be approx £180 

£100K per year would save £2500 - Only when you get up at the £500K per annum earnings would significant savings around £24,000 make you consider it - but even then house prices would probably swallow that up on your move.

Where did you get your figures?

It's about a £180 saving for someone on £30k pa. For someone earning £50k pa it is actually £1,800. There was already decent divergence at that level before the Tory tax cuts.

Your saving of £2,500 on the £100k pa figure is right though.

Pragmatically, I expect the Scot Gov will retain the 45p top rate (its actually 46p up here) and do something for lower and middle earners. 

Edited by Trogdor
typo

21 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Where did you get your figures?

It's about a £180 saving for someone on £28k pa. For someone earning £50k pa it is actually £1,800. There was already decent divergence at that level before the Tory tax cuts.

Your saving of £2,500 on the £100k pa figure is right though.

Pragmatically, I expect the Scot Gov will retain the 45p top rate and do something for lower and middle earners. 

The magic of a spreadsheet and tax allowance thresholds from .gov site. I am assuming same trigger points will remain.

Interestingly for England the new 19% yields a saving of £377 for everone who earns more than £50,270 then it’s only if you earn more than £150K with abolition of 45% that you start saving big.

My workings were done quite quickly - hope I’ve no made a baws of any of them.

2 minutes ago, Theatom said:

The magic of a spreadsheet and tax allowance thresholds from .gov site. I am assuming same trigger points will remain.

Interestingly for England the new 19% yields a saving of £377 for everone who earns more than £50,270 then it’s only if you earn more than £150K with abolition of 45% that you start saving big.

My workings were done quite quickly - hope I’ve no made a baws of any of them.

I went with the Chartered Institute of Tax, see below table.

I also played around with Martin Lewis's take home pay calculator recently (when budgeting) and accidentally left the resident in Scotland box unchecked. So I realised there was decent divergence before these latest cuts. I think it is to do with the thresholds not moving up as quick as they do in England and the extra penny on the bands.

Summary table below but a chunk of this divergence already existed. IE at £50k the new tax cuts give £377 pa but the existing divergence was already £1,489 pa.

Before these tax cuts, anyone earning less than £28k was paying less tax in Scotland versus England. Hence my earlier comment that I expect the Scot Gov will retain the top rate of 46p and do something for lower and middle earners.

Personally, I recognise that we get extra benefits - free tuition fees, free prescriptions, free bus travel for the elderly, more GPS per head of population etc etc. That has to be paid for and tax cuts for the super rich are utterly abhorrent.

1683062064_1_FdVaZ7yXgAAkwUF(1).thumb.jpg.c438a22415f0a5b2d464e19c7a579a2b.jpg

18 minutes ago, btb said:

Perhaps the Truss govt is embarking on the first stage of The Time Machine splitting us into Eloi and Morlocks - well the boot'll be on the other foot when we start feasting on them.

It's not the first stage. That aspect of Wells' story was based on anthropologists predicting that we'll eventually separate off into different strands based on wealth, so it's been coming for a while.

It would actually be quite good for humanity if the wealthy had genuine cause for concern that they could be eaten alive in their beds by hoards of rampaging scheme goblins.

Just been sent by a friend an article by NeilMackay (Scotsman or Herald) where he interviews a top doctor from England and the equivalent from Scotland about the state of the NHS.

The findings are shocking and it would appear that things are more or less equally bad in both countries.

The one interesting thing the Scottish rep, said (she’s actually Spanish) is that the SG get away with it to a greater extent than down South due to young left wing SNP supporters reluctant to rock the boat due to their desperation for independence.

Whether that’s a factor or not, urgent action is needed and the thing I took from it is how poor politicians are at making the right decisions. Maybe we should put doctors in charge?

Is the doctors view about young left wing SNP supporters correct?

Id imagine there are lots on here.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Just been sent by a friend an article by NeilMackay (Scotsman or Herald) where he interviews a top doctor from England and the equivalent from Scotland about the state of the NHS.

The findings are shocking and it would appear that things are more or less equally bad in both countries.

The one interesting thing the Scottish rep, said (she’s actually Spanish) is that the SG get away with it to a greater extent than down South due to young left wing SNP supporters reluctant to rock the boat due to their desperation for independence.

Whether that’s a factor or not, urgent action is needed and the thing I took from it is how poor politicians are at making the right decisions. Maybe we should put doctors in charge?

Is the doctors view about young left wing SNP supporters correct?

Id imagine there are lots on here.

Again, 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Could you cut and paste the article or just that point as I'm having trouble making any sense of it.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's not the first stage. That aspect of Wells' story was based on anthropologists predicting that we'll eventually separate off into different strands based on wealth, so it's been coming for a while.

It would actually be quite good for humanity if the wealthy had genuine cause for concern that they could be eaten alive in their beds by hoards of rampaging scheme goblins.

That sounds like a load of Morlocks.