The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Where though? Truss hasn't mentioned anything significant, but she's prepared to borrow a massive amount to fund tax cuts. This will fuel inflation, increase the costs of government borrowing and mortgages. At the same time as we're already pushing what gilt buyers are prepared to go along with what you rightfully call unprecedented emergency borrowing requirements. Cutting a few civil servants won't pay for it. 

The plan is to get growth back on track and, if that works, a lot of those problems will disappear.

A big unknown but, in my mind, at long last a chance to get back to conservatism which I believe in.

In addition I hope we get a big announcement about expansion of oil and gas exploration plus a go ahead to fracking.

Net zero is a nonsense unless we want to go back to deindustrialised times.

If it fails, so be it but, in my mind worth the risk.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The plan is to get growth back on track and, if that works, a lot of those problems will disappear.

A big unknown but, in my mind, at long last a chance to get back to conservatism which I believe in.

In addition I hope we get a big announcement about expansion of oil and gas exploration plus a go ahead to fracking.

👏👏👏👏👏

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

'Trickle down economics' isn't a thing. It's an utter fallacy, a made up piece of nonsense, and it's mental how many folk still swallow it. It should be treated with the same utter stunned shock as if someone instead said 'cuvier's beaked whale semen economics'.

An image search for this brings up the following image which seems pretty apt.

5eykn4u.jpg

8 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

What's been going on for the last 20 years of Tory government? 

The Rolling Stones and other rock groups as I recall.
A bit difficult to pull out names from 50 years ago.
Its to everyone’s advantage for London, and Edinburgh to a lesser extent, to prosper as those areas produce tax that can be filtered out to the rest of the country.
Economic policy always needs to be a balancing act but I think that the main thrust should be towards growth and rewarding the productive sectors and aspirational taxpayers .

In the cities, most of the companies won’t be based in the UK so doubt they will be paying much UK tax. Additionally, the bosses of these companies don’t need any additional cash. Any additional cash they are given is not being spent on day to day stuff. It will be used to invest in assets and increase their wealth even further. So the UK economy doesn’t really look benefit and the poorer people will end up worse off as houses get bought up the rich people with the extra cash.

The main thrust should be towards making sure a lot of people don’t fall into severe poverty (probably already happened). The fact the top 5% account for such a large percentage of UK income is mad

I can’t believe people think this is normal and acceptable

But to increase CT from 19 to 25% is a huge disincentive to inward investment.
Time will tell and we still haven’t had any announcements yet?

Except for the last two years, companies have been able to take advantage of a super investment allowance of 130% which allows them to claim capital allowances of 130% of any qualifying purchase which was designed specifically to offset and prepare companies for the tax increase. Additionally, furlough allowed a lot of these companies to survive but also report huge profits whilst handing out large dividends. However, it is the individual taxpayers who need to pay this back and now the companies are being handed a tax break.

I’m sure this has already has been pointed out but the tax rate going to 25% would have made very little difference to companies investment decision. The only thing it would have impacted would be them bringing forward purchases forward to take advantage of the super allowance as above. After this period, companies would still invest because, if they don’t, they fall behind. Every company needs to invest and a tax increase wouldn’t make much of a difference. Ironically, the more they invest, the more capital allowances they can claim which reduces their tax payable.

They should have increased the tax rate by a certain percentage but also increased the AIA to something like £1.25m (current value is £1m).

I would suggest the only thing that might hold back investment decisions would be interest rate increases which is another joke. All this will do is push people further into poverty and hand the banks bigger profits (and bonuses which now look like they are not being restricted)

18 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Maybe time to move.

18 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Not bizarre at all.

So many people on here constantly berate and denigrate this country that I love.

If it is so intolerable emigration is surely an option.

Well help him out with some recommendations - where have you upped sticks and moved to during the SNP’s tenure? I mean it’s not feasible you’d have remained in Scotland just to constantly berate and denigrate this country online, right?

Right?

52 minutes ago, Clown Job said:
For 

Am I missing something here....why dont these 120,000 benefits claimants simply get jobs as bankers?  Surely its a great time to be moving to a profession where your bonus has no cap and will often exceed your £100k plus salary.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Am I missing something here....why dont these 120,000 benefits claimants simply get jobs as bankers?  Surely its a great time to be moving to a profession where your bonus has no cap and will often exceed your £100k plus salary.

You should be ashamed of posting that.

Just because someone is a benefit claimant it doesn’t mean they don’t have morals, standards and a sense of decency.