The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

It didn't take long for the first Johnstonesque u-turn, having insisted there would be no u-turn, did it? And the PM herself was out defending it yesterday. :lol:

Obviously Kwarteng deserves the grief he got over it, but Truss' attempts to evade the blame by saying it was his idea were desperation. You're in charge, not him: tell Kwarteng to f**k off if you don't agree with him. If it goes into the budget, you can be sure the PM approves it. 

I await the "that's it sorted, let's all now move on stuff" that will no doubt be churned out by the previously irked MPs. 

This will be a great relief for Tory voters knowing that they can continue to support a party that cuts benefits for the most vulnerable with a clear conscience.  Phew!

Edited by Granny Danger

I'm expecting a rousing chorus of "You don't know what you're doing" when Kwasi or Liz makes a speech to the party conference.

Fucking incompetents. 

ETA: Still a need for the word clusterfuck in the thread title imo. @Clown Job

Possibly an omnishambles as well.

Edited by Suspect Device

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

How will the wealth trickle down now? I feel sad for all those who can't afford their energy bills who the Scottish Tories have lamented missing out on this trickle. 

Douglas Ross, Murdo Fraser, Stephen Kerr, Craig Hoy, Liz Smith, come on down. Let's be fucking having you. 

Founder members of the Wet Washing Club... they've been hung out to dry. 

(Sorry, it's early, best I could do at short notice.) 

Calling it a 'fiscal event' to avoid having the OBR looking at the figures worked out well then. That a PM and Chancellor can even think about trying to get away with that stunt is cause for worry. And when that smug git says 'we get it, we listened' he sure as f**k doesn't mean he listened to the public outcry. He's been hauled over the coals for this. Probably punted in a week or two. 

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I take it we'll hear no more from the hyenas who were demanding that the SG 'fall into line'.

The basic rate change hasn't yet been binned tbh. 

That was also being funded by borrowing and costs a lot more than scrapping the 45% rate does. 

She might manage to bring Tory MPs back around, but I'd wager the markets still think she's a fucking idiot. 

Edited by Michael W

I saw someone suggest that these people just don't have political instincts. Kwartang is in a safe Tory seat, blue rosette on a donkey territory.  His party has been in government ever since he was elected.  Truss was also elected in a safe Tory seat in 2010, she has always been in government.

They have never had to make policy calls and think about the impact of them politically, not really.  So they've fallen into the think tank trap.  Think tanks and policy researchers etc are useful but politicians shouldn't confuse their papers with truth and should be informed by them not regurgitate them wholesale.

9 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Surely someone will take pity on these poor top rate taxpayers who were looking forward to a kittle extra in their bank accounts... maybe some kind of pop concert?  

Thoughts and prayers time, surely? 

I will be out applauding them tonight hope you can join me

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Not surprised that this is happening after the backlash (including from a lot of people who would have been better off). One tax change that I would be in agreement is stopping the removal of the personal allowance over 100k. I feel everyone should get a personal allowance

Agree about the PA.

If abandoning the top rate tax change stops the Tories bickering, well great. Bin it.

As I keep saying the cost was minimal but the optics, I suppose, were bad.