The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

11 hours ago, strichener said:

You cannot seriously be suggesting that pension funds investing in gilts should be making leveraged trades.

As @coprolite posted and a sentiment that I share, gilts are supposed to be the bedrock of safe investment for pensions.  Leveraging this investment produces an entirely different risk from the underlying asset.

ETA:. I think I will have a look at my two gilt based funds in my pension and see how they invested as I am sure that there was no mention of leverage in the fund prospectus for either of them.

It would very much depend on how they balance their overall portfolio.  If they had a 1:5 margin holding on a small proportion of the overall investment portfolio, I probably wouldn't bat an eye, if they are 1:30 on a huge proportion of their portfolio, then I'd probably worry.

Where the line for small v large proporion lies, is I'm afraid above my pay grade (I'm not an expert on portfolio risk, you'd know that if you saw my neglected investments) 😆

Anyway, I think we're going down a rabbit hole.  All I was saying is that the this govt made a deteriorating position exponentially worse with a reckless (pseudo-intellectual) mini-budget.  In doing so, they undermined the credibility of the UK Govt which undermined one of the core foundational investments which is heavily used within the pension industry.

Mark Steele put it quite well (and I paraphrase)

"You're driving along a mountain road

It starts to rain

It's cold and a bit foggy

nobody thought that the government would say, "I'm think I'm a bloody great driver, so I'm going to put this blindfold on".

Yours, 

aDONis

Jesus wept. 

Watching Nicky Campbell on BBC 2 with an audience from Sunderland. One disabled woman in floods of tears, worried about how she will pay her bills. Costs have risen, income dropped, genuine fear. Worse, at her ESA assessments she was told by an assessor that disabled people should not have kids. Utterly harrowing. 

"And how will you vote, ma'am?" 

"Oh, Conservative."

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Jesus wept. 

Watching Nicky Campbell on BBC 2 with an audience from Sunderland. One disabled woman in floods of tears, worried about how she will pay her bills. Costs have risen, income dropped, genuine fear. Worse, at her ESA assessments she was told by an assessor that disabled people should not have kids. Utterly harrowing. 

"Oh, Conservative."

I would love to know why ffs.

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Jesus wept. 

"Oh, Conservative."

Those morons deserve all they get.

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

Probably post Brexit and they were/are sucked into the spin based on the bus and foreigners taking all our jobs & benefits. Remember we live in a society where the decision for (too) many on how to vote is also driven by which 2-bit celebrity appears in the various party propaganda films or  on social media championing a cause. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I hardly ever watch PMQs but will be tuning in today. I'm hoping for a spectacular meltdown but it'll probably just be inept and evasive. 

It will just be her totally dodging the questions then repeating the line 'I am committed to an economic growth for Britain' regurgitated after every question put to her.

5 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

It will just be her totally dodging the questions then repeating the line 'I am committed to an economic growth for Britain' regurgitated after every question put to her.

And

" We have implemented an energy threshold to save people money."

I half expect her not to appear citing illness or some other crap.  When she turned up in Parliament the other day after leaving Morduant to handle the flak she should have been made to answer the question she was going to be asked.

5 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

I’m hoping for her to put her head on the lectern, sob uncontrollably for a minute before looking around and saying “what’s the fucking point?” then running out.  I realise there’s only a slim chance of this happening, but Marcus Wareing once gave a guy 2/10 for his fish course on great British menu and that’s what he did, so it can happen.

2 minutes ago, Elric said:

And

" We have implemented an energy threshold to save people money."

I half expect her not to appear citing illness or some other crap.  When she turned up in Parliament the other day after leaving Morduant to handle the flak she should have been made to answer the question she was going to be asked.

It is genuinely baffling that these morons are that far up their own arses they think that bringing back Boris Johnson would fix all this. 

TBF to him at least he turned up at House of Commons to face the music and spin absolute lies/deflection tactics. This last few years just feels like a fever dream.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I’m hoping for her to put her head on the lectern, sob uncontrollably for a minute before looking around and saying “what’s the fucking point?” then running out.  I realise there’s only a slim chance of this happening, but Marcus Wareing once gave a guy 2/10 for his fish course on great British menu and that’s what he did, so it can happen.

I want her to do a Mike Bassett, refuse to resign then declare the tories will be playing a 4 4 fucking 2 against Argentina.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf0Zw7RbvvhNq0ttA0wMnCF9k-XBlweqNKRw&usqp=CAU

27 minutes ago, 101 said:

I had relations in Hartlepool, and like Central Scotland the North East of England has had much of its economy and social fabric ripped apart from Thatcher onwards.

Again, like much of Scotland, with few Tory MP's in place retaliation was taken out on an ineffective Labour Party.  In Scotland the vote migrated to the SNP, but in the NE however very it disturbingly went firstly to UKIP and once they had made inroads it fell to Johnson's lies over Brexit - it is ironic that Sunderland as featured on the telly this morning recorded the highest percentage Leave vote in the UK.

Many, many people there are now in dire straits and that's grim, but there's no doubt that over time they shot themselves very badly in both feet.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

Han Dodges saying the normal 54 letter threshold has been met to bin her. But as she's safe for a year Brady is going to wait until half the MPs have their letters in before changing the rules. 

Han Dodges 😄

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

She said she didn't trust Labour, and Boris got stuff done. 

I would love to know what on earth he got done, other than the bare minimum during the pandemic.

How can she be happy having a man in power who was as corrupt as they come with links to Russian KGB officials and has been punted from just about every job he has managed to hold down for dishonesty.

20 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Han Dodges saying the normal 54 letter threshold has been met to bin her. But as she's safe for a year Brady is going to wait until half the MPs have their letters in before changing the rules. 

I always thought their 'can't be challenged for a year' rule only applied to PM's who had previously defeated a motion of no confidence, and didn't apply simply because the resident idiot hadn't yet been in the job a year.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

I always thought their 'can't be challenged for a year' rule only applied to PM's who had previously defeated a motion of no confidence, and didn't apply simply because the resident idiot hadn't yet been in the job a year.

The rules are what they say they are from one minute to the next.