The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

They are now basically holding the country to ransom. Clearly Truss will be binned in the next few days or week...they put in the next nonentity but then hold out for another 2 years before having to call a GE..its like a banana Republic, in any functioning democracy there would have to be a GE this year after changing leader again.
It looks to me that they'll put in Hunt as PM as in relative terms he is untouched by the rest of the cretinous scum in charge. I also genuinely can't see them uniting around one of the others - Sunak may be the obvious one but too many dislike him. Mordaunt as well is tainted as being part of the cabinet that supported these horrendous mini-budget decisions.

There's no way Truss can survive this. Hunt has just filed her entire economic policy in the bin (where it belonged) and she will be left defending measures the same as she was attacking Labour about last week.

I also can't see how the damage to the Tory party in general can be anything other than irreparable.  Hunt's new approach seems to be a return to some form of Osbournomics and austerity-lite, warning of real term cuts to public spending. Even if some of the public forget about the shambles of the last month, they aren't going to enjoy the next 12-18 months.

44 minutes ago, RiG said:

Why has this balloon not deleted this Tweet yet?

Because he has supporters who think like this:

"Where I do disagree is that I think that this is a brilliant budget at just the right time and will increase GDP." Quote courtesy Dawson Park Boy, Pie and Bovril 24th September 2022.

It is actually an incredibly cowardly way off binning Truss........they won't tell her that she should go so they are making her position untenable and forcing her to resign under her own steam - so that history records this as a resignation rather than a sacking.  A bit like a football club releasing a managers signings and bringing in five new players to replace them on deadline day.

41 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Jedi said:
They are now basically holding the country to ransom. Clearly Truss will be binned in the next few days or week...they put in the next nonentity but then hold out for another 2 years before having to call a GE..its like a banana Republic, in any functioning democracy there would have to be a GE this year after changing leader again.

It looks to me that they'll put in Hunt as PM as in relative terms he is untouched by the rest of the cretinous scum in charge. I also genuinely can't see them uniting around one of the others - Sunak may be the obvious one but too many dislike him. Mordaunt as well is tainted as being part of the cabinet that supported these horrendous mini-budget decisions.

Hunt was humiliated in the leadership contest - he has very little natural support in the party. 

Saying that, they will probably be happy to let him carry the can for the inevitable horsing when it arrives as he's from the 'wrong' side of the party. They'll end up being led by the psychotic Braverman in opposition - she's already been at it the last couple of weeks, spouting off all sorts with scant regard for the party line. 

Sunak is probably the only candidate that would get majority support amongst Tory MPs, but I have no idea why he'd want it. His best bet is to play the long game and wait for the first Tory LOTO since 2010 to be removed due to poor polling and/or bad election results. 

44 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

There's no way Truss can survive this. Hunt has just filed her entire economic policy in the bin (where it belonged) and she will be left defending measures the same as she was attacking Labour about last week.

I also can't see how the damage to the Tory party in general can be anything other than irreparable.  Hunt's new approach seems to be a return to some form of Osbournomics and austerity-lite, warning of real term cuts to public spending. Even if some of the public forget about the shambles of the last month, they aren't going to enjoy the next 12-18 months.

You may be underestimating the innate political conservatism of a great swathe of the English electorate, whether they stay in England, Scotland or Wales.  NI is its own basket-case.

The only thing which will shake their Tory conviction is if they themselves begin to experience financial hardship, as they traditionally don't give a flying f**k about others as long as they are all right Jack.

Not all certainly, but not a few either. 

Hunt was humiliated in the leadership contest - he has very little natural support in the party. 
Saying that, they will probably be happy to let him carry the can for the inevitable horsing when it arrives as he's from the 'wrong' side of the party. They'll end up being led by the psychotic Braverman in opposition - she's already been at it the last couple of weeks, spouting off all sorts with scant regard for the party line. 
Sunak is probably the only candidate that would get majority support amongst Tory MPs, but I have no idea why he'd want it. His best bet is to play the long game and wait for the first Tory LOTO since 2010 to be removed due to poor polling and/or bad election results. 
More the fact that Hunt isn’t one of the others - he may not have natural support but he, as far as I am aware, hasn't built up the enemies that the others have.

The serious contenders shouldn't touch the job with a bargepole - they should wait until the inevitable defeat (hoping that Hunt reduces the margin) then become leader in opposition when Labour are faced with the enormity of the task in front of them.

Those calling on Boris to return are also complete fantasists - apart from the ammunition against him, I genuinely think he has had enough and will be happier on the speech circuit.

18 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

That was a stick on. The tweet at the weekend ‘we can’t have another leader the public didn’t vote for’ was the biggest dogwhistle since One Man And His Dog was on telly. 

I agree with what your're saying but in some respects what Dorries is saying is correct even if not for the correct reasons.

We're at a point where our "Democracy" is really far from that given what the Parliamentary Labour party did with Corbyn and McDonnell and what the Tory MP's have done with May, Johnson and undoubtedly Truss.

What's the point in having party rules and carrying out leadership contests when the MP's have their own agenda and even when defeated will carry out their own personal wishes despite being 100% against the wishes of the membership ?

Although we vote for a party / local candidate, there's no doubt that a GE also takes the party leader into account as potentially being the next PM, so again it seems that nothing can be taken for granted anymore if any of the main party leaders fall foul of some of their own influential MP's.

Never at any time has the case for Independence been so strong, so as we can escape this utter shambles of political charades and backstabbings while the rest of the population are the poor buggers to suffer the fallout.

SHAMBLES

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I really hope Starmer is paying close attention to two critical aspects here.

Firstly, the fear of the energy support being scaled back to a presumed minimum in April of next year will absolutely terrify millions of people this winter, and rightly so.  Whilst continuing to demand a GE, Labour should also go on the attack by promising measures like temporary windfall taxation on energy company profits and the long-overdue rooting out of entrenched tax evasion to ameliorate energy bills. 

Secondly, the last fortnight has comprehensively torpedoed Brexit by demonstrating that in the modern world no nation can realistically take a doctrinaire standalone position based on parroting shite like 'freedom' and 'taking back control'.  Starmer will never have a better opportunity to put a stake in the ground around renegotiating some sort of trade concordat with the EU.

Labour should back the budget now. The 6 month help was Labour policy. 

The budget getting through on Labour support will push Truss over the edge.

Truss apparently set to duck Starmer's Urgent Question on KKs sacking,  she is suddenly unable to make the HoC this afternoon despite having planned to be there for Hunt's statement and Mordaunt is now set to take her place.

She's got one job now - to take the bullets and she won't even turn up for that!

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

More the fact that Hunt isn’t one of the others - he may not have natural support but he, as far as I am aware, hasn't built up the enemies that the others have.

The serious contenders shouldn't touch the job with a bargepole - they should wait until the inevitable defeat (hoping that Hunt reduces the margin) then become leader in opposition when Labour are faced with the enormity of the task in front of them.

Those calling on Boris to return are also complete fantasists - apart from the ammunition against him, I genuinely think has had enough and will be happier on the speech circuit.

A fair point RE enemies. I think at this stage they are a lost cause and any attempts at enforcing discipline will be ineffective. 

The measures Hunt has outlined will not be popular. Doing what is necessary and reversing changes that were widely condemned, yes, but they are also bad for the population. The basic rate cut was not affordable, but given the complete mess that Kwarteng/Truss have made and accelerated mortgage rates (which will inevitably incresse rents also), it is now something that really seems like it is necessary to provide even admittedly limited relief. The damage has been done and cannot really be undone; Hunt is merely managing it. 

I also think Johnson will be very happy on the speaking circuit. Again I am bemused as to why anyone would want to pay to listen to him, but we all remember how he couldn't afford his bills on his meagre PM salary, so no doubt he'll be having a whale of a time. Expect to see him back in around 2030, having built up enough funds again that he can afford slumming it as PM again. 

25 minutes ago, btb said:

Truss apparently set to duck Starmer's Urgent Question on KKs sacking,  she is suddenly unable to make the HoC this afternoon despite having planned to be there for Hunt's statement and Mordaunt is now set to take her place.

She's got one job now - to take the bullets and she won't even turn up for that!

Resignation speech's won't write themselves......

25 minutes ago, btb said:

Another radio comment from this morning... Truss sacking Kwarteng for implementation of her "policies" is like Keith Harris sacking Orvile for saying something on stage he didn't like.