The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

12 hours ago, Donathan said:

Well yes, but an increase in the middle or top tax brackets (16.2% of people are on the 40% rate. Not sure how many on the top rate) might mean one less foreign holiday a year. There are plenty of people out there who won’t forego their third foreign holiday of the year in order to prevent people starving or freezing to death. 

There are certainly some high income people who live paycheck to paycheck, and this tax break will quickly be swallowed up by 'lifestyle expenses'. And they will no doubt feel a great sense of injustice were it to be reversed.

The great logical fallacy of trickle down economics is that if you give rich people more money - the overwhelming majority of them won't spend it. Why would they? They are spending as much as they want to begin with.

No, they invest it. And they certainly don't invest it in the UK which has a dreadfully performing, shrinking stock market. They invest abroad, almost all of my investments are abroad (like them, mostly in the US). At best it might inflate an already inflated south east property market.

If you give money to poorer people they will spend almost all of it (living / surviving), and that money will continue circulating in the economy. A disenfranchised, penniless underclass is more likely to turn to crime and addiction, and fall into homelessness, all of which is incredibly expensive to the state. It is far far better for a country to make the poorer wealthier than the rich wealthier (for purely economic reasons, never mind moral ones).

Additionally, the Brexit motto of 'taking back control' has been shown again to be patently nonsense. And a good lol at the daily mail criticising currency traders betting against UK PLC (remember when that was George Soros!). Every country in the world, even China and North Korea, pray at the altar of the international financial markets. They give, they take, they make the calls more than any idiot politician.

17 hours ago, Aufc said:

See tbh I can see why some people would vote Tory. If you are in the top 1-5% of wealth then it would make personal sense to vote for the party which is going to ensure your wealth continues. It is, of course, a very selfish viewpoint but these people live in a complete bubble where they don’t need to worry about the other people.

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone outwith these circles would vote for them these days.

Cause Rangers.

Just now, Paco said:

I guess the UK is just destined for more decades of slow growth. After all, this was a vital move to change the course of our economy.

emoji17.png

How will the wealth trickle down now? I feel sad for all those who can't afford their energy bills who the Scottish Tories have lamented missing out on this trickle. 

Douglas Ross, Murdo Fraser, Stephen Kerr, Craig Hoy, Liz Smith, come on down. Let's be fucking having you. 

The u turn was certainly looking likely in the past few days, and it's a rotten policy so good news, but it's surely the worst start to any British government ever.

Those defending the policy liked to weigh in with the trope that the highest earners will just relocate to some country with lower tax rates. Has this ever actually happend? The genuinely wealthy do it anyway, but if you are a salaried employee (which this applies to) you are not typically allowed to relocate to one of the many British dominioned tax havens.

Not surprised that this is happening after the backlash (including from a lot of people who would have been better off). One tax change that I would be in agreement is stopping the removal of the personal allowance over 100k. I feel everyone should get a personal allowance

Not surprised that this is happening after the backlash (including from a lot of people who would have been better off). One tax change that I would be in agreement is stopping the removal of the personal allowance over 100k. I feel everyone should get a personal allowance
All the Tories mps who would likely vote it down, are not actually against it.
They are just against it happening now.

Even when humiliated, he's an arrogant git.

Dismissing this vile injustice as a mere "distraction" tells us he doesn't "get it" at all.  The people he's "listened" to are the likes of Gove saying he can't vote for it.  It's still entirely the type of thing Kwarteng wants to do.

Utterly despicable, immoral people.

42 minutes ago, Aufc said:

The only backlash that the PM and CX understood is the one from their own MPs when confronted with probably electoral wipeout.

Truss said yesterday that the 45% tax decision was not even run by the wider cabinet in the interview with kuennsberg when she confirmed they would stand by it.

Sadly, removing this pretty much guarantees that the other shitebag tory MPs will vote the rest of it through parliament.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Even when humiliated, he's an arrogant git.

Dismissing this vile injustice as a mere "distraction" tells us he doesn't "get it" at all.  The people he's "listened" to are the likes of Gove saying he can't vote for it.  It's still entirely the type of thing Kwarteng wants to do.

Utterly despicable, immoral people.

Hopefully when plod come knocking he can find out just how big a distraction can be when you are being looked at for insider trading and misconduct in public office.

Absolutely golden the Tories here bend over backwards to their masters down south who once again leave them looking like fools.