The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

16 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

If you’re in the top 1-5% of wealth you’re never going to become skint or remotely struggle not matter what government is in power 

Well yes, but an increase in the middle or top tax brackets (16.2% of people are on the 40% rate. Not sure how many on the top rate) might mean one less foreign holiday a year. There are plenty of people out there who won’t forego their third foreign holiday of the year in order to prevent people starving or freezing to death. 

They'll drop the 45%->40% cut, which is only worth a couple of billion, and keep the rest of the changes so the economy's just as fucked as it was before, and then do something cunty to benefits to reassure the markets.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They'll drop the 45%->40% cut, which is only worth a couple of billion, and keep the rest of the changes so the economy's just as fucked as it was before, and then do something cunty to benefits to reassure the markets.

You’re correct about the cost of the top rate tax cut.

Labour also agree to the cut in N.I. along with energy subsidies plus they want more to be spend on eco projects.

So not much difference in borrowing.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Are you serious?

Take a look at the current Cabinet and Government as a whole.

Anti immigration sentiment played a huge part in Brexit.  The campaign explicitly harnessed it. The 2019 large Tory majority was secured via the notion of getting this Brexit done.

The diverse racial composition of Truss' current cabinet alters none of this.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Racism for one.

Spite, for another.

There's always been a portion of the Tory vote who are comfortable, and don't really notice the extra money they save through vote-buying tax cuts, but who seethe about the dirty paupers being able to afford Sky TV and big-screen TVs. Any discomfort they feel over the next few years will be offset by the frisson of schadenfreude they experience from seeing more of those people huddling at food banks and public buildings to keep themselves warm.

At the moment they're worrying about how they're going to be affected, but it'll be interesting to see how the polls change before 2024 if the government can keep the middle rump of voters reasonably comfortable by comparison to the underclass.

On 01/10/2022 at 06:44, Todd_is_God said:

The pound has largely recovered to where it was before the mini budget, yes, but only because the market has priced in the base rate being 3.5% by the end of the year.

That’s generous. Pre-Truss the exchange rate was about 1.1535 (7/9/22), then pre-mini had dropped to 1.1254 (22/9/22), and is now 1.1168 (30/9/22). That’s a drop of 3.3% to present from the start, and 0.8% since the mini release…and that’s, as you point out, only because of a significant jump in interest rates across the board. With the low point being 1.0349 (26/9/22), totaling a drop of 10.3% from pre-Truss and 8% from pre-mini, it suggests that rates will still climb by another couple of points….and the BoE rate will probably need to go to around 4.5%.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Are you serious?

Take a look at the current Cabinet and Government as a whole.

And what ?  Decades ago Rangers surrendered their 'unofficial' signing policy and many of their current players openly genuflect on taking the pitch, yet the stands are still crammed with religious bigots chanting anthems of hate.

Do you see the parallel I'm making with a large swathe of the Tory vote ?

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

The reduction of the top rate of tax back down to New Labour and indeed most other countries levels doesn’t affect me as I’m retired but for the small cost it involves I think it is a good pro- aspirational move.
Sends out the right signals.
The difference between then and now is the Exchequer wasn't trillions in debt.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's propaganda and psychology that enables this to happen.

It's easier to understand and more immediate to grudge 'benefit scroungers' than those earning fortunes in the City doing things we don't understand.  

People would rather see themselves as aspirant high earners than as members of the precariat.  Again, decades of dishonest media coverage massages this human flaw.

Chuck in manufactured Culture War stuff and a recipe to get people to vote against themselves, takes shape.  

In the past, hammering discredited unions, letting people buy council houses and giving share dividends to small investors in newly privatised utilities, did have genuine appeal for those who fancied themselves as socially mobile.  

Such appeal no longer exists, and this naked brand of bonkerdom is running out of road.

Unfortunately not. Your taste during BREXIT, the Polish plumbers stealing jobs, etc, was just that, a taste.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Racism for one.

DING. Look at the Trump fiasco here in ‘Merica. He rose to power on a naked appeal to racism and us vs them. While he is likely sidelined, his acolytes are preaching an even more venomous hate. People at the poorer end of the spectrum like the bullshit about protecting jobs, jobs they would never do themselves, and fantasy crime stories. It gives them someone to look down on, instead of being on the very bottom. The rich like it because it cements their power, they can continue to hire illegal immigrants, pay them less, and know they won’t complain about workplace safety and such…more money for them, and the proles will be distracted. Expect that playbook coming to the UK circa 2029, and probably being used to lob Northern Ireland to Eire to reduce the land-border concerns…hell, the Channel Tunnel will surely be attacked too.

Remember, these lizard people don’t actually believe this crap they preach, they believe it keeps them in power.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I utterly loathe Andrew Neil, but had he still been at the BBC and got this gig, he wouldn't have allowed Truss to answer about 5 different questions with the same answer citing how much the govt was handing out in assistance for rising energy bills. 

It is of course, very unlikely that Truss would have agreed to an interview with Neil. Kind of begs the question that should politicians have complete control over who gets to interview them, and who doesn't?

I was amused yesterday to see that the BBC's headline for their story on Putin's annexation speech contained the assertion that it was 'full of anti-Western bile'. What tickled me, is clearly they have no compunction calling a spade a spade when it comes to foreign politicians' shithousery, so again I'm left wondering why it is that the likes of Kuenssberg will sit there and have Truss and Co repeatedly lie to them, evade the question, and bullshit and flannel their way through an interview without just directly challenging them on it.

Evidently regional radio hosts feel under no such obligation, so I can only conclude that the 'f**k us on national TV and we will f**k you' stance adopted by Boris is a very real thing that the Beeb are completely beholden to. 

32 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Unfortunately not. Your taste during BREXIT, the Polish plumbers stealing jobs, etc, was just that, a taste.

I was meaning that the economic bonkerdom, in this extreme form, is running out of road, as evidenced by the response to it, not least in polling.

The racism that played a part in Brexit might yet have mileage, but it's unlikely to be steered by the same people who are currently in charge.

Are the Tories playing a game to see how far they can go now?

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s business partner given senior minister role. City financier who co-founded investment firm with business secretary is made trade minister

5 hours ago, Aufc said:

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone outwith these circles would vote for them these days.

We're mainly in this mess because of racist working class thickos,  who wanted brexit 'done'.

Edited by MONKMAN

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I was amused yesterday to see that the BBC's headline for their story on Putin's annexation speech contained the assertion that it was 'full of anti-Western bile'. What tickled me, is clearly they have no compunction calling a spade a spade when it comes to foreign politicians' shithousery, so again I'm left wondering why it is that the likes of Kuenssberg will sit there and have Truss and Co repeatedly lie to them, evade the question, and bullshit and flannel their way through an interview without just directly challenging them on it.

Evidently regional radio hosts feel under no such obligation, so I can only conclude that the 'f**k us on national TV and we will f**k you' stance adopted by Boris is a very real thing that the Beeb are completely beholden to. 

100% spot on mate,

One can only surmise as to whether both interviewers and interviewed have any idea just how frustrating these pathetic and totally pointless bullshiting episodes are, for idiots like me who tune in, hoping they might learn something.

6 hours ago, Clown Job said:

If you’re in the top 1-5% of wealth you’re never going to become skint or remotely struggle not matter what government is in power 

yeah but they live in a bubble where all they are interested in is accumulating more wealth and power. Any potential threat to that is not allowed hence why a lot of them donate to the tories to keep them in power and allow them to use them for their own benefit

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Maybe a comment more fitting to the BBC bias thread, but the involvement of organisations such as the Taxpayers' Alliance in the political debate, ostensibly as an independent 'Thinktank', rather than as a politicised pressure group is a sinister development.  Partisan politics masquerading as objective commentators under impressive sounding titles, e.g. The European Fucking Research Group must be identified publicly by our independent media with any ulterior motives they have.

Anyway, the intention of this rambling preamble is to highlight the failures of the BBC in informing its viewers and listeners on the true nature of participants in the political debate.  As Stuart Lee puts it:  I’m not telling you which are the fakes. You’ll have to use Google, like the BBC should before it books yet another neoliberal mouthpiece for balance, the twats.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/02/rise-up-twitchers-the-thinktanks-are-coming