The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The thing is, mortgage rates were going up anyway.

It was inevitable due to the Fed increasing aggressively to get inflation out of the US system.

Will take some time I would guess.

Regarding the most vulnerable, well there you are then. Not many will have mortgages.

If the various reports on the interest rates rises are even remotely accurate, it might well be true that many folk who used to worry about their mortgages won't be worrying about them for much longer. Further, folk who might have been just about to have a mortgage won't be worrying about them as either new mortgage offers have been taken off the market or prospective buyers decide to stay where they are.

13 hours ago, virginton said:

She's about twice as demented and tone-deaf as Kwarteng. If anything he's a useful lightning rod for what would otherwise be hitting her right now.

I think she might have been actually hit by lightning or something to cause her brain function to nose dive.

51 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If the various reports on the interest rates rises are even remotely accurate, it might well be true that many folk who used to worry about their mortgages won't be worrying about them for much longer. Further, folk who might have been just about to have a mortgage won't be worrying about them as either new mortgage offers have been taken off the market or prospective buyers decide to stay where they are.

Probably true.

Only good thing will be that house prices might fall.
Also pensioners should start to get some reward on their cash investments.

Its just the economic cycle we’re currently in.

Cant really see what governments of any persuasion could do.

21 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Okay, so what could they do?

Tax the profits of the energy companies as the EU is doing and utilise the monies to help provide a comprehensive furlough scheme for domestic and business energy users whilst leaving leave the tax and NI levels as they are currently, with the exception of Corporation Tax which even yer man Sunak had identified as being historically low.

Moving forward, taking measures to heavily regulate offshore banking, tax evasion and short-selling and initiate a Government programme of house-building on a scale of the post-war period.  If Truss and Kwarteng want radical measures, I'll happily compile a list.

23 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

To be a tory you have to be a scumbag devoid of decency, of course theyll vote for it.

You see, I despise Tories and what they represent.  They, and their electoral success, are the sole reason why I favour Scottish independence.

However, I think the above line is too simple and is essentially inaccurate.  Tories tend to believe in the power of markets, but they don't all have identical outlooks regarding the extent of state intervention and regulation that's appropriate.  

Plenty are genuinely appalled by how the extremist faction, with a current hold of the wheel, are behaving.  Even Gove sounds unable to vote this stuff through. 

Pretending all Tories must be like this doesn't help the debate.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You see, I despise Tories and what they represent.  They, and their electoral success, are the sole reason why I favour Scottish independence.

However, I think the above line is too simple and is essentially inaccurate.  Tories tend to believe in the power of markets, but they don't all have identical outlooks regarding the extent of state intervention and regulation that's appropriate.  

Plenty are genuinely appalled by how the extremist faction, with a current hold of the wheel, are behaving.  Even Gove sounds unable to vote this stuff through. 

Pretending all Tories must be like this doesn't help the debate.

I could have gotten that argument had they not framed the last 10 years of their regime on xenophobia, destroying public services, blaming the poorest in society for needing help when the wealthiest have caused the need, destroying health and justice system, intentionally subverting democracy, gerrymandering and braying and crowing as our rights are eroded in the interests of their russian donors as we leave the EU to leave London a city state with no deference given to the rest of the place. Yer point about Gove, aye maybe these steps here are too much for him, but he was happy enough to create the environment to facilitate it. I dont have a problem with people who hold actual conservative views, but this party isnt conservative, its a corrupt cabal and if they are a member of this party and not trying to stop the leadership then they are guilty by their silence. 

eta Parklife

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

15 hours ago, virginton said:

She's about twice as demented and tone-deaf as Kwarteng. If anything he's a useful lightning rod for what would otherwise be hitting her right now.

Yes, he's coming in very handy in that respect.

Putting the tax break for big earners all down to him this morning, is obviously mental, dishonest and a poor reflection on her management, but it is part of the process you mention.  They're very much in it together, but he's proving useful in allowing the blame to be divided.

See tbh I can see why some people would vote Tory. If you are in the top 1-5% of wealth then it would make personal sense to vote for the party which is going to ensure your wealth continues. It is, of course, a very selfish viewpoint but these people live in a complete bubble where they don’t need to worry about the other people.

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone outwith these circles would vote for them these days.

On 02/10/2022 at 12:14, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I could have gotten that argument had they not framed the last 10 years of their regime on xenophobia, destroying public services, blaming the poorest in society for needing help when the wealthiest have caused the need, destroying health and justice system, intentionally subverting democracy, gerrymandering and braying and crowing as our rights are eroded in the interests of their russian donors as we leave the EU to leave London a city state with no deference given to the rest of the place. Yer point about Gove, aye maybe these steps here are too much for him, but he was happy enough to create the environment to facilitate it. I dont have a problem with people who hold actual conservative views, but this party isnt conservative, its a corrupt cabal and if they are a member of this party and not trying to stop the leadership then they are guilty by their silence. 

eta Parklife

That's all true, but again even that hasn't been actively backed by all Tories.  Our undemocratic voting system and whipping system has allowed such crap to hold sway though. 

I wasn't citing Gove in order to defend him.  Christ no - the man's a shit.  I was, however, highlighting that the stuff we're seeing now is beyond the pale, even for people as reprehensible as him.  Plenty Tories aren't as bad as he is.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Not everyone who personally benefits from Tory policies votes Tory.

Millions of people who do not personally benefit from voting Tory do so for a variety of reasons.  The most delusional ones are those who genuinely think their economic interest are aligned with billionaires and multi-millionaires.

55 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Tax the profits of the energy companies as the EU is doing and utilise the monies to help provide a comprehensive furlough scheme for domestic and business energy users whilst leaving leave the tax and NI levels as they are currently, with the exception of Corporation Tax which even yer man Sunak had identified as being historically low.

Moving forward, taking measures to heavily regulate offshore banking, tax evasion and short-selling and initiate a Government programme of house-building on a scale of the post-war period.  If Truss and Kwarteng want radical measures, I'll happily compile a list.

Don’t agree with your solution but I’ll give you top marks for outlining a plan.

12 minutes ago, Aufc said:

See tbh I can see why some people would vote Tory. If you are in the top 1-5% of wealth then it would make personal sense to vote for the party which is going to ensure your wealth continues. It is, of course, a very selfish viewpoint but these people live in a complete bubble where they don’t need to worry about the other people.

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone outwith these circles would vote for them these days.

The reduction of the top rate of tax back down to New Labour and indeed most other countries levels doesn’t affect me as I’m retired but for the small cost it involves I think it is a good pro- aspirational move.

Sends out the right signals.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not everyone who personally benefits from Tory policies votes Tory.

Millions of people who do not personally benefit from voting Tory do so for a variety of reasons.  The most delusional ones are those who genuinely think their economic interest are aligned with billionaires and multi-millionaires.

It's propaganda and psychology that enables this to happen.

It's easier to understand and more immediate to grudge 'benefit scroungers' than those earning fortunes in the City doing things we don't understand.  

People would rather see themselves as aspirant high earners than as members of the precariat.  Again, decades of dishonest media coverage massages this human flaw.

Chuck in manufactured Culture War stuff and a recipe to get people to vote against themselves, takes shape.  

In the past, hammering discredited unions, letting people buy council houses and giving share dividends to small investors in newly privatised utilities, did have genuine appeal for those who fancied themselves as socially mobile.  

Such appeal no longer exists, and this naked brand of bonkerdom is running out of road.

48 minutes ago, Aufc said:

If you’re in the top 1-5% of wealth you’re never going to become skint or remotely struggle not matter what government is in power 

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Get the "regional" BBC presenters to do all the interviews usual softball shite from Laura k and Truss couldn't handle that 🤣

I utterly loathe Andrew Neil, but had he still been at the BBC and got this gig, he wouldn't have allowed Truss to answer about 5 different questions with the same answer citing how much the govt was handing out in assistance for rising energy bills. 

It is of course, very unlikely that Truss would have agreed to an interview with Neil. Kind of begs the question that should politicians have complete control over who gets to interview them, and who doesn't?

54 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Racism for one.