The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They are already building a narrative that they are making a choice to cut benefits and public sector pay in order to protect private pensions.

It worked for Cameron and Osborne. 

Or, in simpler terms, protecting the very well off at the direct expense of the poorer. 

Now over to Tynecastle... 

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

To be a tory you have to be a scumbag devoid of decency, of course theyll vote for it.

I’m not suggesting that decency would be the motivation, it would be purely self interest.  Can’t think of many Tory MPs that will put the Conservative Party before their own self interest.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not suggesting that decency would be the motivation, it would be purely self interest.  Can’t think of many Tory MPs that will put the Conservative Party before their own self interest.

They will vote for it and then sit on the benches and cheer when it gets passed.

They don't give a f**k about people on benefits, very few of them vote Tory

On 30/09/2022 at 09:11, Dawson Park Boy said:

Just like most contributors on here.

Actually, I think the direction of travel is correct.

Politically, the removal of the top rate of 45% was a bit naive despite the cost being very small.

The retention of the bands with fiscal drag pulls in a lot more cash.

Labour wanted the reversal of the N.I. rises, wanted the energy help plus wanted to spend more on going green which made their spending commitments higher than the Tories.

Just been announced that we’re not in recession.

Pound back pretty well to where it was before the mini budget.

If we start getting growth, then I think a lot of this hot air will disappear.

This is a disingenuous point to make.

The pound has largely recovered to where it was before the mini budget, yes, but only because the market has priced in the base rate being 3.5% by the end of the year.

Mortgage providers have already priced this in as well with virtually nothing under 4% left, and many around 5%+ for 5 years, despite the base rate hasn't changed from 2.25%

If the BoE don't have the base rate at 3.5% by December the pound will again slump.

Perhaps in the long run the plan might work, but the short-term the people who are most vulnerable are being thrown to the wolves in a massive gamble.

We've gone from everyone having to bend over backwards to "protect the vulnerable" to doing exactly the opposite now that "the vulnerable" are no longer rich Tories.

52 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Or, in simpler terms, protecting the very well off at the direct expense of the poorer. 

Now over to Tynecastle... 

It's not just the very well off. Tens of millions of people have private pensions.

Setting it up as pension funds Vs benefits is a lie but that's what they are working towards. 

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

It's not just the very well off. Tens of millions of people have private pensions.

Setting it up as pension funds Vs benefits is a lie but that's what they are working towards. 

I know what you mean, but even the average "generous" public sector pension pays around 10k a year. When you consider that the PM is desperate to hand folk earning more than that a month a big tax cut at the same as trailing public sector and benefits real terms cuts, it's pretty clear where their priorities lie.

Edited by Salt n Vinegar
Added "average"

Surely nobody seriously thinks that Kwarteng's going to be sacrificed immediately after announcing exactly what he was appointed to, by a Prime Minister who's only just been appointed herself? We've established that corrupt politicians are absolutely untouchable now, so that's not even a consideration, and certainly nothing that's emerged won't have been known by his boss beforehand.

They're both short-term appointments, but they've got a big job to do; squeezing as much remaining money as possible into their backers' pockets before GTF day, and further crippling the economy as much as possible to stop Labour* from managing any kind of recovery before 2029.

* or the Liberal Democrahahahaha!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/01/voters-abandon-tories-as-faith-in-economic-competence-dives

Serious banana republic vibes from a political system where a complete moron gets chosen to run the country by a handful of drooling vegetables, only to face being dunted out within a month of taking office. 

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

This is a disingenuous point to make.

The pound has largely recovered to where it was before the mini budget, yes, but only because the market has priced in the base rate being 3.5% by the end of the year.

Mortgage providers have already priced this in as well with virtually nothing under 4% left, and many around 5%+ for 5 years, despite the base rate hasn't changed from 2.25%

If the BoE don't have the base rate at 3.5% by December the pound will again slump.

Perhaps in the long run the plan might work, but the short-term the people who are most vulnerable are being thrown to the wolves in a massive gamble.

We've gone from everyone having to bend over backwards to "protect the vulnerable" to doing exactly the opposite now that "the vulnerable" are no longer rich Tories.

I don't think that the most vulnerable give a shit about mortgage rates tbh. 

10 hours ago, strichener said:

I don't think that the most vulnerable give a shit about mortgage rates tbh. 

The thing is, mortgage rates were going up anyway.

It was inevitable due to the Fed increasing aggressively to get inflation out of the US system.

Will take some time I would guess.

Regarding the most vulnerable, well there you are then. Not many will have mortgages.

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The thing is, mortgage rates were going up anyway.

It was inevitable due to the Fed increasing aggressively to get inflation out of the US system.

Will take some time I would guess.

Regarding the most vulnerable, well there you are then. Not many will have mortgages.

😂😂😂