The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I caught (by mistake) about 3 minutes of Question Time last night. That show always makes my eyes bleed.

Bruce: Any Tory voters want to say anything about how they are feeling?

Gammon faced waste of skin with toxic brain: Yes, this is bad. We've been going from crisis to crisis for ten years now. It is hard to defend voting for them all the time.

.. and for a bit of balance, we also asked non-Tory voters about how they are feeling.

Q Fiesta.jpg

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Will Joe Lycet be getting another shot too?

"Good morning Prime Minister, what do you think of the absolutely scandalous ferry situation in Scotland?"

Waffling answer

"Thank you so much for taking time out to join us. Now, to some puff piece"

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

"Good morning Prime Minister, what do you think of the absolutely scandalous ferry situation in Scotland?"

Waffling answer

"Thank you so much for taking time out to join us. Now, to some puff piece"

Aye, you'll get more rigorous political analysis on Steve Wright's Love Songs.

7 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The present panic decision by the Undynamic Duo to go to meet the OBR seems to me to be a bit like eleven folk deciding to form a football team, losing their first match 50-0, then deciding to go and ask someone what the laws of the game are. 

Fort William then.

Austerity is in the post, according to Simon Clarke who is hilariously the Levelling-Up Secretary. The welfare budget is too large.

I’ve posted this before but the welfare budget is definitely too large. It was never intended to be a wage top-up for people too poor while working, or to top-up extortionate private rents to property corporations, or to pay for childcare for working parents who otherwise couldn’t afford to work. Nor was it meant to pay a third of every single energy bill in the country. These are all failures of the state. These costs should all be laid at the door of business, not the taxpayer, and the only people responsible for it are years of Conservative government.

I have an inkling that the lads down CCHQ may have a different take on where the cuts should take place though…

15 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't think i'll ever stop being angry about the 2019 General Election. 

I see that levelling up is going really well. 

Dunno why, but a speech by Neil Kinnock years ago came to mind. He was talking just before an election about Thatcher, but the gist of it seems appropriate.  It ended with... 

"If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday–

– I warn you not to be ordinary

– I warn you not to be young

– I warn you not to fall ill

– I warn you not to get old."

Full speech at https://speakola.com/political/neil-kinnock-i-warn-you-campaign-1983

Another couple of blasts from the past in the same speech... 

I warn you that you will have poverty–when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can’t pay.

I warn you that you will be cold–when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don’t notice and the poor can’t afford."

Vaguely familiar. 

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Will individual Tory MPs really vote for this?  If they do there’s no escape for them come the next GE.

They are already building a narrative that they are making a choice to cut benefits and public sector pay in order to protect private pensions.

It worked for Cameron and Osborne.