The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

33 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Already happened 

D5765BB0-9F38-4D10-B564-0CC1DB6F7C2A.png

I actually read Hannan's rant as posted above by Scottsdad, and I have to admit to being surprised that nowhere does he identify one of the major causes of the market jitters, that there are TWO single-sex couples dancing in this season's Strictly.

It's about as valid as the shit he's written.

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

The Tories should be done permanently as a party of government 

Still not a peep from Liz

You'd think, but history has shown that there is an unbelievable volume of useful idiots to pad out their core supporters to keep returning them to power. 

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Cabinet and donors maybe but presumably most of the shire tories want to keep their jobs?

Well aye, but if there's one thing that the Conservatives do well, it's sticking together for The Greater Good.

Anyone losing their seat will be well taken care of, one way or another.

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I think the strategy is to tough it out. Not sure what else they can do? Sacking Kwarteng for implementing a plan you've been advocating for through a leadership election and doing a screeching U-turn will kill Truss' premiership stone dead. Likewise, the rank and file deciding to get rid of the two most senior office holders after a month in charge probably destroys what slim credibility the Party still has, particularly if there isn't a unity candidate they can rally around.

Their only shot, by the looks of it - is to hope that they can point to a quarter or two of improved growth to cover their blushes while dismantling their strategy quietly and hoping another crisis comes along to occlude memories of this one.

2 hours ago, yoda said:

I think the idea (or claim) in an earlier post that you can draw a link between the current situation and the furlough scheme is a stretch. The Bank of England showed that domestic factors only accounted for a third of the current inflation - and that's not exclusively due to demand - and most reputable analysts / commentators were pointing out that the debt financing wasn't a huge issue even with rising rates. 

The current situation (i.e., what is happening right now with the currency and the BOE potentially ramping up interest rates even faster and further than anticipated) is almost entirely down to the government cutting taxes on high earners. You can't have tax cuts of that magnitude whilst also forking out enormous energy costs support. It's not hypocritical to point out that this is bad policy whilst also supporting other forms of government deficits. All deficits are not equal. 

I made that point, and I respectfully disagree that it's a stretch. We would have been able to ride out this energy crisis much better had we not saddled ourselves with massive amounts of borrowing to pay for the Covid response, as we would likely have gotten away with that level of borrowing had we not subsequently involved ourselves in the US's reincarnation of the Cold War.

The pound (and Euro) were already tumbling against the dollar as the Federal Reserve had been cranking up interest rates to strengthen the dollar at the same time as Europe was being forced, thanks to US led sanction packages, to turn to the US for energy, as well as purchasing, in dollars, what gas was available in Europe.

The latest shock is, as you correctly identify, the result of piss poor policy in the last week or so, but it's "it's nothing to do with what I supported" nonsense to claim that the other factors are what led to being in a position that such piss poor policy became even an option on the table.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

I think the strategy is to tough it out. Not sure what else they can do? Sacking Kwarteng for implementing a plan you've been advocating for through a leadership election and doing a screeching U-turn will kill Truss' premiership stone dead. Likewise, the rank and file deciding to get rid of the two most senior office holders after a month in charge probably destroys what slim credibility the Party still has, particularly if there isn't a unity candidate they can rally around.

Their only shot, by the looks of it - is to hope that they can point to a quarter or two of improved growth to cover their blushes while dismantling their strategy quietly and hoping another crisis comes along to occlude memories of this one.

A reminder that Tory MPs consistently voted for Rishi Sunak during the leadership campaign, and placed Liz Truss 3rd in the first three ballots. Unlike when Boris Johnson became leader in 2019, LT does not enjoy majority support within the House of Commons, and any MPs who actually want a chance of keeping their seat in the next election will almost certainly be happy to see the back of her / him.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

A reminder that Tory MPs consistently voted for Rishi Sunak during the leadership campaign, and placed Liz Truss 3rd in the first three ballots. Unlike when Boris Johnson became leader in 2019, LT does not enjoy majority support within the House of Commons, and any MPs who actually want a chance of keeping their seat in the next election will almost certainly be happy to see the back of her / him.

I disagree in so much as the general public won't deign to make the distinction between what the MPs wanted and the ordinary membership wanted, and that decapitating their party after a month in charge just creates an image of god awful decision making and crisis that will cling to them all.

They are fucked if they get rid of them, fucked if they stay and nothing miraculously get's better. They are properly hanging onto a tiger by it's tail here.

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Glass of brandy and a revolver?

I was thinking more along the lines of nothing jobs on government advisory panels when back in power and/or part-time directorships at friendly companies earning more than the average full-time wage.

I'm intrigued by your ideas, however.

50 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

She's too busy writing her speech for the party conference, pinning all her hopes on a free trade deal with India to save the day.

Edited by 101