The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/21/liz-truss-may-face-lords-rebellion-over-northern-ireland-bill

The underlying concern regarding Parliamentary democracy is far more important than the immediate issue of the NI protocol.  This was touched on when the Bill was first introduced in the Commons but it’s getting serious now.

FWIW I’m astounded that Johnson didn’t try this earlier as we know that his Premiership was prepared to undermine and ignore the democratic norms in a way no previous government had.  The prorogation of Parliament being the most obvious example, but by no means the only one.

There are few checks on government power in the U.K. and it should be a cause for concern.  Handing any government the sort of power proposed in this Bill undermines the democratic processes even further.

6 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Truss is a fucking moron. Pound hits to a further 37 year low against the Dollar, foreign investment looking to jump ship. At what point do these fucking dick heads just admit they’ve fucked everything up? I despise them. 

Why admit anything? Loads of people and organisations to blame first. The last Labour Government. The Mayor of London. Bolshy nurses. Barristers. Railway workers. The poor. The disabled. Lawyers. Teachers. Lecturers. Refugees. Corbyn. The SNP. The EU. The French. "Red Tape". "Health and Safety". The Bank of England. 'So-called experts'. The Civil Service. Mark Drakeford. The bits of 'the mainstream media' that their pals don't run. The BBC. Channel 4. Emily Maitlis. Martin Lewis. Republicans. Trade Unionists. ... Etc, etc. 

Plenty of blame to go round. Form an orderly queue at the food bank and put an extra jumper on, there's a good, obedient, subservient population. Don't look over here, look over there... 

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Truss is a fucking moron. Pound hits to a further 37 year low against the Dollar, foreign investment looking to jump ship. At what point do these fucking dick heads just admit they’ve fucked everything up? I despise them. 

The strikes will be back on soon so they can blame the union barons for stifling the UK's economic dynamism and roll back employment rights. 

They'd launch a nuclear strike on the EU before admitting that they got anything wrong. 

I know theres a different thread for this, but ffs we surely couldnt do any worse, or have a more  embarassing government if we went it alone?

These people barely give a f**k about anyone outside London, let alone people 350+ miles away...................

3 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Stamp duty getting cut again.

The entire purpose of the Conservative party seems to be to keep house prices artificially high.

SDLT is also quite a progressive tax with an element of wealth taxation in there. You can see why they wouldn't like that. 

Interesting to see what the Scottish and Welsh parliaments do in response. 

Poor ET. Not exactly off to a flying start. 

Today's stories.... 

Liz wants the world to follow Britain on trickle down economics. 

Foreign Office Minister Gillian Keegan has said her government’s approach can in “no way” be described as “trickle down economics”. 

Jo Biden attacks trickle down economics. 

Good start, Liz, good start. 

😂

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I know theres a different thread for this, but ffs we surely couldnt do any worse, or have a more  embarassing government if we went it alone?

These people barely give a f**k about anyone outside London, let alone people 350+ miles away...................

We could put a relatively intelligent horse in charge and we'd still be less of an embarrassment.

I like to think I'm a balanced person. I try and understand why people wouldn't want independence, but the longer it goes on the less and less I can understand it. If you don't vote for independence you're effectively voting to be governed by the Tories.

49 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Of course.

Maybe it’s because we’re about to change tack quite radically by slashing taxes and going for growth that current forecasts are obsolete?

Thatcher did it when taxes were ludicrously high and the country took off.

I recall taxes such as ‘investment income surcharge’ where it was possible to pay about 100% of parts of your income.

Top people left the country in droves.

Reduce taxes and total revenues increase as people are incentivised to earn.

As someone has mentioned, if Scotland keeps its personal taxes high it will be an interesting experiment to see how the different regimes perform.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Maybe it’s because we’re about to change tack quite radically by slashing taxes and going for growth that current forecasts are obsolete?

It would have been good to get

"We were forecast to get X"

"But look at what we have done to get Y"

If we don't know where we were on track to be how can we measure if it's a success, especially if it's going to be sustainable.

1 hour ago, Beans on Toast said:

We could put a relatively intelligent horse in charge and we'd still be less of an embarrassment.

I like to think I'm a balanced person. I try and understand why people wouldn't want independence, but the longer it goes on the less and less I can understand it. If you don't vote for independence you're effectively voting to be governed by the Tories.

Not just that, but all that a Tory government(s) entail, which will soon be the stripping away of workers rights (more hours, less pay, less holidays, less rights such a maternity and sick leave, reduced pensions, being able to be fired for nothing), increasing racism, massive inflation, wages falling increasingly further behind everything, house prices continuing to soar, destruction of the NHS and the introduction of having to pay large sums for healthcare, runaway energy prices, total rollback on environmental policies/increased damage to the environment, an increasingly isolated and insular country, everything increasing in price, and just a massively more unfair society in general. But aye, at least folk who live in the borders won't be slightly inconvenienced if they visit England.

Independence won't fix all of that, but it gives us a chance to have a fairer society and at least try to fix the issues.

Edit: Forgot to add, once they get the UK out of the ECHR (and I'm amazed folk don't take a second to just think that through; literally they want to remove your rights) and have dismantled workers' rights, you had better dare not not be a white, straight, cis male.

Also, the Tory ideology isn't to make anyone rich; it's to make themselves and their pals richer. These are greedy filth who don't need more money but are driven to grab it, to steal it (often quite literally when you look at the PPI contracts) from me, you and all taxpayers to increase their wealth. They delight in squashing folk to do it.

'Trickle down economics' isn't a thing. It's an utter fallacy, a made up piece of nonsense, and it's mental how many folk still swallow it. It should be treated with the same utter stunned shock as if someone instead said 'cuvier's beaked whale semen economics'.

Edited by DA Baracus

28 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I recall taxes such as ‘investment income surcharge’ where it was possible to pay about 100% of parts of your income.

As someone has mentioned, if Scotland keeps its personal taxes high it will be an interesting experiment to see how the different regimes perform.

The alternative to countries competing in a race to the bottom would be international co-operation and competition on living standards. 

There's limited empirical support for your Laffer curve. It tends to work more at the very top of the wealth or profit range, as very rich individuals or very large companies can more easily up sticks. The French wealth tax is usually cited. These are where international co-operation can be targeted (and has been, with some effectiveness, for companies). 

I doubt many people have emigrated to the carribean to avoid losing their personal allowance on a £150k salary or to not pay SDLT at 5% on a suburban 3 bed in Surrey. 

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The alternative to countries competing in a race to the bottom would be international co-operation and competition on living standards. 

There's limited empirical support for your Laffer curve. It tends to work more at the very top of the wealth or profit range, as very rich individuals or very large companies can more easily up sticks. The French wealth tax is usually cited. These are where international co-operation can be targeted (and has been, with some effectiveness, for companies). 

I doubt many people have emigrated to the carribean to avoid losing their personal allowance on a £150k salary or to not pay SDLT at 5% on a suburban 3 bed in Surrey. 

But to increase CT from 19 to 25% is a huge disincentive to inward investment.

Time will tell and we still haven’t had any announcements yet?

39 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

This is real whistling in the dark stuff.  The trickle-down effect has been proven to be a chimera; when the wealthy receive tax benefits they invest it in tax havens, buy property, etc., and the money fails to circulate in the domestic economy.

Less wealthy people on the other hand have much more immediate need of money and spend accordingly.  If 'top people' wish to leave the country in droves then it confirms them as greedy, grubbing b*****ds untroubled by any notion of fairness or an equitable society.

I'll happily carry their monogrammed luggage.

28 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

But to increase CT from 19 to 25% is a huge disincentive to inward investment.

Time will tell and we still haven’t had any announcements yet?

It probably is a disincentive, but it's more likely to have a marginal effect than a huge one. 

On tax, multinationals tend to prefer stability and predictability to a few percent on a headline rates. Another capricious late change of plans hot on the heels of Bojo the clown's is bad for planning, whatever way it goes. 

An investment friendly cut would have been put in a finance bill and set to come in from 2024. The current one is no more than an opportunistic giveaway so her backers can yield more from existing assets. 

Investment decisions for productive businesses are more often taken based on more commercial things like workforce and skills availability, contract law and access to other parts of the supply chain or markets. Tax will be part of the mix but not often a priority. 

The tories have been narrowing our skills base by making further education far more costly for individuals and by hugely reducing the number of people eligible to work here. 

They have absolutely destroyed supply chains and market access. 

A 6% surprise cut in CT and a 3% swing in some NICs is an ideological token, not a growth strategy. 

They've written off the car and fitting a spoiler to the wreck.