The Official Liz Truss no longer PM but still a Clusterfuck thread

Clown Job

No Truss and Biden meeting when he was here for some event yesterday, so Truss flying to US today and saying that not only is there no trade deal on the horizon, it might be years away. Still, give them a chance to talk about NI maybe.

Will she invite the ‘Tea Sock’ to this meeting perhaps?[emoji23]

16 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

😄 I'm looking forward to seeing how the media report this meeting. I've a funny feeling she might be well out of her depth in her new role. As PM. Incredible.

If ET finds herself to be out of her depth in a meeting with Biden, she'll be utterly destroyed in most PMQs.  (He said hopefully and with a fair degree of confidence.) 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/20/brexit-cost-of-living-tory-government-crises-avoid-scrutiny

"Politics in Britain is again marching to strange rhythms. Officially, nothing much has been happening this month, because of an all-important period of national mourning. But in reality Whitehall has been busy, even frantic. The Treasury has been purged of its most senior civil servant and given a new, pro-growth mission. The latest emergency budget is being drawn up, thinly disguised as a “fiscal event”. And a new, potentially very risky government has been settling in. Yet another Conservative experiment on the country is being prepared, largely unscrutinised.

Much of our politics has had this simultaneously stuck and manic quality since at least the EU referendum. Brexit deadlocks and “cliff edges”, the pandemic, Tory leadership contests, the cost of living crisis, the invasion of Ukraine and now the Queen’s death – each has accelerated or paralysed politics, making a mockery of the once common idea that British democracy is about steady progress.

These seemingly never-ending shocks and disruptions have in some ways been very challenging for a Tory government that increasingly lacks capable people. As well as the administrative headaches, orthodoxies about the size of the state, levels of taxation and the party’s relationship with business have had to be reexamined, argued over and, at least temporarily, abandoned. Once promising Tory politicians such as Rishi Sunak have become casualties."

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If ET finds herself to be out of her depth in a meeting with Biden, she'll be utterly destroyed in most PMQs.  (He said hopefully and with a fair degree of confidence.) 

Liz Truss is the sort of person who could get destroyed at PMQs and not even realise she’s been destroyed.  The fact that she thinks she’s capable of being PM is all you need to know about her level of self awareness.

Obviously the Tories and brexitwonks don't care as the US trade deal was just one of a 1000 nonsenses they spewed out to achieve the hardest possible brexit. But Labour should be utterly mortified for going balls deep on tory ultrabrexit, knowing full well none of the possible advantages (for the country and population*) were achievable. 

*Obviously massive deregulation and the abandonment of workers rights so you can dispense with holidays, the already laughable UK sick pay etc and push urchins up chimneys and down mines and so forth are now possible but, and please correct me if I'm wrong, these seem contrary to Labour values. 

3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Obviously the Tories and brexitwonks don't care as the US trade deal was just one of a 1000 nonsenses they spewed out to achieve the hardest possible brexit. But Labour should be utterly mortified for going balls deep on tory ultrabrexit, knowing full well none of the possible advantages (for the country and population*) were achievable. 

*Obviously massive deregulation and the abandonment of workers rights so you can dispense with holidays, the already laughable UK sick pay etc and push urchins up chimneys and down mines and so forth are now possible but, and please correct me if I'm wrong, these seem contrary to Labour values. 

What are they again and can someone explain them to Starmer?

20 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

These values test better with C2 and D voters, who have a lower propensity to vote and are less represented in marginal seats. The C1 and B target demographic prefer more aspirational values so Labour have replaced anti child labour and exploitation laws with 10% off at John Lewis. 

34 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

My cousin in the US has just had a baby and is now finishing her maternity leave. She was entitled to 12 weeks in total. I'm not sure what pay she had during the leave, but there is no legal requirement for her to get paid. The best companies in her state might do 4 weeks full pay, then 8 weeks half pay, but that is purely dependent on the company. I'm sure these are the type of benefits that ET will be looking at when she's in the States.

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

These values test better with C2 and D voters, who have a lower propensity to vote and are less represented in marginal seats. The C1 and B target demographic prefer more aspirational values so Labour have replaced anti child labour and exploitation laws with 10% off at John Lewis. 

10% off at John Lewis would get my vote.  Get your finger out Sturgeon!