Kilmarnock v St Johnstone 5/10/22

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He's been given the deal because he's been trusted, correctly in my opinion, to be a part of the bigger picture, specifically overseeing the club's substantial structural changes. Even though the current board have broadly had their hearts in the right places and have made massive improvements in the off-field stuff, the football department, if such a thing has even existed, has been neglected for years.

Steve Clarke being a tremendous manager papered over the cracks for a bit, but even then there was no hint of a strategy, just a reliance on the manager doing everything, which leads to an increased risk of the balloon bursting quickly, which it did. More or less everything we've done recruitment and retention wise since then has been awful, and in particular we're still suffering from last summer's squad building, the amount of absolute tripe we still have under contract and can't get rid of is ridiculous.

What McInnes inherited was a mess and it was only his additions of Lafferty and Taylor that just about dragged us over the line unreservedly last season. I thought we'd be better off than we are this season, mainly because I was expecting us to be able to move more people on, and thus be able to sign some better players later in the window, but that simply hasn't happened. We've addressed the off-field stuff now by bringing in a few people who will modernise that, but it takes time, and they're likely going to have a huge job to do in January.

You'll obviously get a few grumbles from the reactionaries off the back of some bad results, there's already examples in this thread, but ultimately if you have to keep sacking managers it's probably not the managers who are the issue. I'd rather commit to a guy with a brilliant track record and trust him to turn it around.

I'd say we've been competitive in enough of our games to not be cut adrift or anything like that, and I'm still expecting to be able to go out and win tomorrow night.

That would seem somewhat unfair since we won’t be there until Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He's been given the deal because he's been trusted, correctly in my opinion, to be a part of the bigger picture, specifically overseeing the club's substantial structural changes. Even though the current board have broadly had their hearts in the right places and have made massive improvements in the off-field stuff, the football department, if such a thing has even existed, has been neglected for years.

Steve Clarke being a tremendous manager papered over the cracks for a bit, but even then there was no hint of a strategy, just a reliance on the manager doing everything, which leads to an increased risk of the balloon bursting quickly, which it did. More or less everything we've done recruitment and retention wise since then has been awful, and in particular we're still suffering from last summer's squad building, the amount of absolute tripe we still have under contract and can't get rid of is ridiculous.

What McInnes inherited was a mess and it was only his additions of Lafferty and Taylor that just about dragged us over the line unreservedly last season. I thought we'd be better off than we are this season, mainly because I was expecting us to be able to move more people on, and thus be able to sign some better players later in the window, but that simply hasn't happened. We've addressed the off-field stuff now by bringing in a few people who will modernise that, but it takes time, and they're likely going to have a huge job to do in January.

You'll obviously get a few grumbles from the reactionaries off the back of some bad results, there's already examples in this thread, but ultimately if you have to keep sacking managers it's probably not the managers who are the issue. I'd rather commit to a guy with a brilliant track record and trust him to turn it around.

I'd say we've been competitive in enough of our games to not be cut adrift or anything like that, and I'm still expecting to be able to go out and win tomorrow night.

Agree with all of this.

Motherwell’s result last night has made this an even bigger game for both teams I guess. A win for Killie and they can get some form going and get the leap on County. A saints win and we move further away from the bottom and keep on the coattails of Motherwell and Hearts in the top 6. 

So a dull draw that helps neither team incoming. 

0-2 St Johnstone. 

This is one of the worst Killie sides ever put together. A defence who concede goals for fun and the worst midfield in the league. We make so few meaningful chances and those that we do make, our strikers don't take (though it's such a small sample size, it's hard to draw meaningful conclusions)

When Liam Polworth is one of your standout players of the season, you know things are bad. 

I absolutely desperately hope I'm proven wrong tonight and can folk can pile in quoting me, telling me I'm overreacting. But on all the evidence this season, we are going straight back down without a fight.

• andrewh changed the title to Kilmarnock v St Johnstone 10/10/22
On 04/10/2022 at 07:33, kingjoey said:

@andrewh the date in the thread title is annoying me a lot more than it should. 

Sorted. It was originally 10/9/22 and I entered 10/3/22. 3 and 9 are quite close together and that’s my excuse. Then the queen died and it all changed again.

1 hour ago, Derek Patterson said:

Killie fans.

Do they still have the vegan pies available at Rugby Park, and are they any good?

Intrigued to give them a go and probably won't have time to get scran before the game.

I havent had much from the pie stalls lately as theres almost always too big a queue, but I believe there is. Think they changed what's in them, mind you. 

So yes, fairly certain there still is.

3 hours ago, Derek Patterson said:

Killie fans.

Do they still have the vegan pies available at Rugby Park, and are they any good?

Intrigued to give them a go and probably won't have time to get scran before the game.

Yeah mate there is. Vegan Chicken and Mushroom. It's quorn that's inside it, I'm not a massive fan of it.

Wish we had more vegan options tbh. 

Edited by Nadroj

Haven’t paid attention this week, has it been stated that Murphy is injured. It’s the only explanation.

Thought we might mix it up a bit more with the match on Saturday lunchtime looming.

If we’re not sitting third in the table come 3pm this Saturday, some serious questions need to be asked..