Kilmarnock v St Johnstone 5/10/22

6 hours ago, andrewh said:

Non-refundable tickets. What if you can’t make the rearranged match?

27 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Tough shit I imagine. 

20 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Now this game will be on some obscure Baltic Tuesday night mid winter. 

There will be about 6 Saints fans there. Was meant to buy my ticket for this yesterday and the minute I seen the news she was potentially dying I held off and thank f**k I did!

Why would there be more travelling fans for a midweek fixture?

So is Ash Taylor suspended whenever we play the fixture or for Killie's game against Livingston. I think it's the former from what I can see in the rules?

'Effective immediately to the next match in the Competition in which the sending-off offence and/or gestures (A5) was reported'

This would still be the next match in the competition, no?

13 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

So is Ash Taylor suspended whenever we play the fixture or for Killie's game against Livingston. I think it's the former from what I can see in the rules?

'Effective immediately to the next match in the Competition in which the sending-off offence and/or gestures (A5) was reported'

Hopefully he plays ! 

No, the next match is the next match that actually happens, nothing to do with what is scheduled to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to bring this one back to the first page. Saints are unbeaten in the reign of the new king. Are Killie fans happy with Derek’s contract extension?

Edited by andrewh

Happy with McInnes getting a new deal as we need the stability however things aren’t great at the moment. You do feel this a bit of a must win game for us already. 

The only excuse we can really make this season has been a lack of winnable home games so far. 

A fair few legends of my lifetime watching Saints have also been at Kilmarnock.

Alex Totten, Paul Wright, Stevie Zorro Maskrey, Willie Watters who (I think) bagged a hat trick in the 4-0 over Arbroath at muirton when we clinched promotion to end our spell in the bottom division,  Scottish Cup winning hero Frazer Wright, and Del and Doc who got us back into the premier league.  Tommy Wright of course, who not only won us our first major honour, but also relegated Kilmarnock, so a top guy all round.

Did Kevin McGowne also play for killie? Bit before my time, but Ally McCoist was also at both.  

17 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Happy with McInnes getting a new deal as we need the stability however things aren’t great at the moment. You do feel this a bit of a must win game for us already. 

The only excuse we can really make this season has been a lack of winnable home games so far. 

From outside in, seems a bit strange to be giving him a long term contract. Can only assume the Killie fear is that he gets offered a better job somewhere? I think McInnes is a very good manager and with all due respect, is better than both Saints, Killie and Aberdeen too, but I wouldn't be giving a likely high value contract out right now. Maybe his agent hinted at interest elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

From outside in, seems a bit strange to be giving him a long term contract. Can only assume the Killie fear is that he gets offered a better job somewhere? I think McInnes is a very good manager and with all due respect, is better than both Saints, Killie and Aberdeen too, but I wouldn't be giving a likely high value contract out right now. Maybe his agent hinted at interest elsewhere. 

We just spent a good few bob revamping and creating new off field roles, bringing in McInnes own people in the process.

I saw a new deal coming the minute they were announced but I didn't expect it to be as long as a 3.5 year one.

It's a big gamble by Bowie & McLeish given our current predicament.

He's been given the deal because he's been trusted, correctly in my opinion, to be a part of the bigger picture, specifically overseeing the club's substantial structural changes. Even though the current board have broadly had their hearts in the right places and have made massive improvements in the off-field stuff, the football department, if such a thing has even existed, has been neglected for years.

Steve Clarke being a tremendous manager papered over the cracks for a bit, but even then there was no hint of a strategy, just a reliance on the manager doing everything, which leads to an increased risk of the balloon bursting quickly, which it did. More or less everything we've done recruitment and retention wise since then has been awful, and in particular we're still suffering from last summer's squad building, the amount of absolute tripe we still have under contract and can't get rid of is ridiculous.

What McInnes inherited was a mess and it was only his additions of Lafferty and Taylor that just about dragged us over the line unreservedly last season. I thought we'd be better off than we are this season, mainly because I was expecting us to be able to move more people on, and thus be able to sign some better players later in the window, but that simply hasn't happened. We've addressed the off-field stuff now by bringing in a few people who will modernise that, but it takes time, and they're likely going to have a huge job to do in January.

You'll obviously get a few grumbles from the reactionaries off the back of some bad results, there's already examples in this thread, but ultimately if you have to keep sacking managers it's probably not the managers who are the issue. I'd rather commit to a guy with a brilliant track record and trust him to turn it around.

I'd say we've been competitive in enough of our games to not be cut adrift or anything like that, and I'm still expecting to be able to go out and win tomorrow night.