Arbroath v Raith Rovers

A solid win in crazy conditions. Thought we’d regret those sitters but thankfully wasn’t to be. Stanton superb as has been mentioned. Big John looked well off it. Maybe he just can’t play on grass and he’ll be great on the Astro (I’m clutching at straws here). Very decent away support for a Wednesday night. Challenge is now to find some consistency and get something up in Inverness. Feeling a bit more positive after tonight. League table looks a lot better 

38 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Don’t know how you watch the game and think he’s honking tbh. Him being the steady base has a lot to do with Stanton being given the freedom to get further forward. One doesn’t happen without the other. 

There’s a better player who can play  that position on the bench.

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Both shots were almost straight at him. Barely had to work to stop them. 

The first Gaston dives to his left and parries with his hands, the second he blocks with an outstretched foot.

So not straight at him.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Nothing to do with Gaston having a good night at the office?

If he makes the right decisions in those moments like the 2nd chance put it under Gaston then he scores,  the first one he could try take it around him for a tap in and take it but he’s still young and learning but he should be scoring at least one of those chances and yes I do admit Gaston did have a good game but also Connell should be doing better 

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The first Gaston dives to his left and parries with his hands, the second he blocks with an outstretched foot.

So not straight at him.

I’m all for defending our own players and that but come on, two awful attempts.  

Hopefully Dylan Tait’s parents enjoyed the match.

I’m glad Connell is only signed until Christmas he’s not good enough and not what the Rovers require ,  I’m actually starting to enjoy watching Ngwenya at left back and Dick at left half we look a bit more solid but big O Riordan what a player for a boy of his age / experience . The whole midfield were great but Easton was the only failure he’s simply way off form at the moment, I’m just hoping once fit Wee Louis hits the ground running and god willing stays injury free as he could make the difference to the team as we aren’t far away also the January transfer window could make a huge difference if we manage to bring in a decent centre forward 

Edited by basher brash

There's no defending Connell for those misses. Okay he hit the target but they were two pathetically tame efforts. A good striker is scoring both of those and even a half decent one should be tucking away one of them. 

Having said that, Frederiksen was conspicuous by his absence from almost all our attacks on the highlights. Keep him on the bench for chucking on in the last 20 minutes when we're losing. 

7 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Genuinely can’t remember how it came about. It’s just a little thing that I’ve noticed in recent weeks and the QP game in particular as it was inevitable that the big lad who scored from one would get one eventually. It’s carried on these last two games since.

To be fair, QPs whole game plan that day was for Murray to chase channels and win set pieces. Most of Arbroath's corners I think came in that 2 minute spell with the wind behind them when we kept clearing it for another. Morton were able to use that long throw to force more corners as well...

Who was it that got the assist for the goal last night?  Aw yeah, Scott Brown. He’s been great this season, and put in another committed  performance last night. Far from “honking” FFS. 

I’d like Ross Matthews back in the team though. Maybe he could start up at Inverness instead of Dylan Easton. 

Its tempting to give Frederiksen the benefit of the doubt in saying he may not be up to speed with match fitness or the Scortish game etc.  The two games he's started weren't ideal.

That said, we haven't really seen an indication as to what his strengths are.  Doesn't seem to be particularly strong, good in the air, fast or good with the ball at his feet.  

Being positive, I'd say I'd like to see how he gets on playing as one of 2 strikers, with Gullan for example.  That's maybe pushing it though, its looking like January at the earliest before we can get the striking situation anywhere close to resolved.

As good as last nights win was, better teams than Arbroath could easily punish us for those wasteful chances.

Not an expert on Arbroaths squad at all, but Campbells substitutions seemed to smack a bit of desperation and actually helped us see the game out.  If you take Linn out that team, you pretty much obliterate any real creative threat - which it seems is hardly in abundance to start with.

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Who was it that got the assist for the goal last night?  Aw yeah, Scott Brown. He’s been great this season, and put in another committed  performance last night. Far from “honking” FFS. 

I’d like Ross Matthews back in the team though. Maybe he could start up at Inverness instead of Dylan Easton. 

Scott Brown suffers from playing in the same position as Matthews, whom people will naturally want in the team.  But if your basing it on performances this season, there is zero reason to make that switch.  

That's not to say there isn't a role for Matthews, but I don't see the point in taking Brown out for the sake of it.  He's a big part of why Stanton has been so good in that advanced roll.

47 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

There's no defending Connell for those misses....

Frederiksen was conspicuous by his absence from almost all our attacks on the highlights...

Connell is so inept with these chances it's now an expectation he'll waste them. His only redeeming action as a striker is his goal against Ayr.

Murray has twice said Frederiksen needs to be worked on; he clearly knows what he's got and what he hopes to end up with so maybe there's still expectation there.

8 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

So not straight at him.

Aye ok Derek Gaston, you did well to stop two really tame efforts last night that you really should have been given no chance with.

29 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Scott Brown suffers from playing in the same position as Matthews, whom people will naturally want in the team.  But if your basing it on performances this season, there is zero reason to make that switch.  

That's not to say there isn't a role for Matthews, but I don't see the point in taking Brown out for the sake of it.  He's a big part of why Stanton has been so good in that advanced roll.

I don’t get that brown is why Stanton is playing better, matthews can play that role and allow Stanton to play his. 

Brown had a good start to the season, but was anonymous on Saturday, and a hopeful hoof up the park for the assist last night doesn’t make him a good player.

Looks like last seasons injury and historical red cards v Airdrie are hindering Matthews chances of a start, I’d have him in the team any day of the week.

40 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Its tempting to give Frederiksen the benefit of the doubt in saying he may not be up to speed with match fitness or the Scortish game etc.  The two games he's started weren't ideal.

That said, we haven't really seen an indication as to what his strengths are.  Doesn't seem to be particularly strong, good in the air, fast or good with the ball at his feet.  

Being positive, I'd say I'd like to see how he gets on playing as one of 2 strikers, with Gullan for example.  That's maybe pushing it though, its looking like January at the earliest before we can get the striking situation anywhere close to resolved.

He had a tough shift in the first half. Playing on your own up front is never easy and he had the wind against him as well. Add in lack of match fitness and you can understand him struggling a bit 

However, my concern is just how far he looked off the pace. Not just that he wasn't a bit late in getting to the place he should've been, but he was way off it. Even at our goal he was miles away. Attempts at using him to knock the ball down were not successful either. Whether providing him with a striking partner and therefore giving him less space to cover (in theory) will improve things remains to be seen.