Arbroath v Raith Rovers

Excellent, very important win and a deserved one in the end. Not pretty by any means but doesn’t matter. Arbroath fans were right about how toothless their attack is, although we defended well. That last minute penalty on Saturday is the only goal the Dick and O’Riordan partnership have conceded in 4 games now, they both played well. Hard to believe O’Riordan just turned 19 today, oozes class.

Best player on the park though was Sam Stanton, as he seems to be most weeks at the moment. Murray can be questioned on a lot of things so far this season but he deserves huge credit for transforming Stanton. I also really like Scott Brown, think he is quite underrated amongst a lot of the support.

We still badly need a centre forward. At least Connell got into positions to miss those chances I suppose…

5 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Could of been 4 or 5,

Awful tactics, awful substitutes,

No one can defend that tonight 

Agreed.  The decision not to play a striker baffled me as soon as it was announced.  Hilson has been playing good stuff, and if he wasnt fit for some reason, we should have given our other striker a shot.  Baffling line up.  And then when we finally bring a striker on, we take all our creators off.  Madness.  

Sam Stanton has come on at an unreal rate since the League Cup. He looks like a completely different player and absolutely ran the show tonight. Aside from that, Brown was excellent and Spencer did a good job of game management towards the end. It will barely get a mention, but other than his rash tackle Ross Millen put in a good shift on the wing and did really well to cause issues. After the booking, he put in a really disciplined performance. As others have said, he gets far more stick than he merits - we've had far worse defenders over the last decade. Ngwenya showed we can have an alternative outlet on the left which is nice. 

We never looked in any danger as the second half wore on. After Linn went off (Fermer really does kick the arse out of that Charleston Messi nickname btw), it was a procession of punts out from Arbroath to give us throw ins. They looked absolutely like an absolute gang. It's felt like Arbroath have had the same back four for years now, but now that Thomson is away it definitely feels like they're toiling. We really should've had 3 or 4 tonight. 

Arbroath are a shadow of themselves from last season, low energy, pegged back looking lost. iIt's almost like the minute that Killie winner went in back in April you saw a team know that nothing would be the same again. 

Poor first half that Arbroath shaved with the wind behind them. Second half was a different story and we cruised it despite missing a boatload of chances. 

Despite my inner dread the defence saw the game out well and deserved 3 points. 

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Sam Stanton has come on at an unreal rate since the League Cup. He looks like a completely different player and absolutely ran the show tonight. Aside from that, Brown was excellent and Spencer did a good job of game management towards the end. It will barely get a mention, but other than his rash tackle Ross Millen put in a good shift on the wing and did really well to cause issues. After the booking, he put in a really disciplined performance. As others have said, he gets far more stick than he merits - we've had far worse defenders over the last decade. Ngwenya showed we can have an alternative outlet on the left which is nice. 

We never looked in any danger as the second half wore on. After Linn went off (Fermer really does kick the arse out of that Charleston Messi nickname btw), it was a procession of punts out from Arbroath to give us throw ins. They looked absolutely like an absolute gang. It's felt like Arbroath have had the same back four for years now, but now that Thomson is away it definitely feels like they're toiling. We really should've had 3 or 4 tonight. 

Bobby Binn. 

7 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Best player on the park though was Sam Stanton, as he seems to be most weeks at the moment. Murray can be questioned on a lot of things so far this season but he deserves huge credit for transforming Stanton. I also really like Scott Brown, think he is quite underrated amongst a lot of the support.

Also Brad Spencer was also quality tonight managed to keep Jacobs and Tait quiet 

That was brutal. 4 centre midfielders seemed to work v qp but we badly needed width tonight and just resorted to aimless punts down the middle. I thought raith pressed well and deserved their win, only surprise was that it wasn’t more thanks to gaston….. again!

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Agreed.  The decision not to play a striker baffled me as soon as it was announced.  Hilson has been playing good stuff, and if he wasnt fit for some reason, we should have given our other striker a shot.  Baffling line up.  And then when we finally bring a striker on, we take all our creators off.  Madness.  

Is dick Campbell close to getting the sack if he doesn’t change this pronto or do you think he’ll walk before he’s sacked? 

2 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

That was brutal. 4 centre midfielders seemed to work v qp but we badly needed width tonight and just resorted to aimless punts down the middle. I thought raith pressed well and deserved their win, only surprise was that it wasn’t more thanks to gaston….. again!

And Connell shooting/finishing was horrendous couldn’t hit a barn door 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If you're talking about Ethan, I have a gut feeling he'll be away in January, or the summer at latest.

to where, he's hardly been in sparking form - just assumed he's had an illness tbh.

1 minute ago, renton said:

to where, he's hardly been in sparking form - just assumed he's had an illness tbh.

Possibly Falkirk. I'm not convinced he's good enough out wide and Murray seemingly isn't going to play him off the striker where he did the damage last season. I don't see a regular starting place for him under Murray and I think he'll end up asking for a move like Zanatta. 

3 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I can't see him being freed, aren't there are issues remaining with Aberdeen?

Think they are due a sizeable percentage of any fee we get for him, although unless he finds a new lease of life that looks unlikely you'd have to say. 

Is dick Campbell close to getting the sack if he doesn’t change this pronto or do you think he’ll walk before he’s sacked? 

Think his position needs to be questioned if we loose against hamilton. His team selections and tactics have been questionable to say the least but most of all his signing policy has been shocking and arguably lead to a couple of important players leaving.