Arbroath v Raith Rovers

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Get the fucking game on. Folk, like me, have got travel booked and paid for which we can get f**k all back for if the game doesn’t go ahead. And I have literally zero interest in travelling to Arbroath on a Wednesday night. If you are so upset by the death of the Queen, stay in the fucking house and let normal folk get on with the things they enjoy. 

Well said, Every single thing on Tv and Radio is trying to depress just now. Get the football kept on!

It’s a look back at the societal view from years ago. The “plan” was written decades ago on what to do and what would happen. While things changed over the years, the plan wasn’t amended with those changes in mind. With faster communications, the period can be reduced, with less support and sentimentality toward the monarchy, there could have been a reduction in the enforced mourning, etc. I suspect that while people updating the plan understood that it would be smart to remove some of the mandatory shutdowns of things like sport, the leaders feared it looking disrespectful to even amend the plan in that way.

The result is a 1930’s-1950’s style shutdown of a society for 10 days where, at most 3 days would have been appropriate…and where a number of things forced to shutdown would be better continuing WHILE showing respect in an appropriate manner. On the other hand, there is also the knowledge that some groups would set forth to disrupt any shows of respect, so a delay of the games within a day or two of the death seems fairly reasonable…but within the context of our hurried and scheduled society is not easily justifiable.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I might get criticism for it but I think that’s an utterly ludicrous decision. 

Not from me. It’s a ridiculous decision. Wear black armbands and have a minutes or 2 minutes or 10 minutes silence if they like. Anyone who’s too upset to attend or play then they can sit it out.

My son’s school and boys club football cancelled this weekend too.

Imposing grief on people is all a bit North Korea

Edited by Tattie36

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It’s a look back at the societal view from years ago. The “plan” was written decades ago on what to do and what would happen. While things changed over the years, the plan wasn’t amended with those changes in mind. With faster communications, the period can be reduced, with less support and sentimentality toward the monarchy, there could have been a reduction in the enforced mourning, etc. I suspect that while people updating the plan understood that it would be smart to remove some of the mandatory shutdowns of things like sport, the leaders feared it looking disrespectful to even amend the plan in that way.

The result is a 1930’s-1950’s style shutdown of a society for 10 days where, at most 3 days would have been appropriate…and where a number of things forced to shutdown would be better continuing WHILE showing respect in an appropriate manner. On the other hand, there is also the knowledge that some groups would set forth to disrupt any shows of respect, so a delay of the games within a day or two of the death seems fairly reasonable…but within the context of our hurried and scheduled society is not easily justifiable.

I'm not sure anyone from the USA is in any position to lecture on societal norms or their appropriateness tbh 

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not lecturing, simply observing…now, mind your manners!😜

I think given some of the social policy decisions made in the US recently, I'd be a little more cognisant of passing comments about outdated views if I was you 😋

3 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

I think given some of the social policy decisions made in the US recently, I'd be a little more cognisant of passing comments about outdated views if I was you 😋

Shit, it’s worse, I’m in Texas, where we make most Tories look like Greens! The comment, BTW, was how the plans were never evolved because of fearful people rather than backwardness. That is the general result in many a government venture, worldwide.

Now, back to something you can complain about…the rabidly anti-monarchist line taken by more than a few in Scottish football forum seems a wee bit of a pose…😂😂😂