Cove Rangers V Dundee Tues 4th Oct 7.45.

Rather obvious thing to say, but there is a long way to go.

Teams that get relegated to The Championship often struggle - Thistle had two terrible seasons post going down. However, I thought, given Dundee kept most of their squad together from last season, they would have hit the ground running.

I said before that I reckon any team finishing above them will win the league - and I stand by that. It's a horrible, tight division that is easy to climb with a few wins on the bounce. Getting a few wins on the bounce is easier said than done mind you.

Also, that BBC "report" is a fuckin disgrace.

I think there is a difference between Dundee this season and Killie last season. Killie had been a long established premiership club. Dundee, on the other hand has boomeranged back to the championship. They might get their act together, but it is not as sure a thing as it was for Killie. Even then, it really took a change of manager or two for them to get it right last year.

1 hour ago, The Derry said:

That's so super cool mate, please tell me more.

You see, originally my link to the match report was to highlight how one of the most popular and publicly funded media outlets has treated not only the 2nd tier but also what I would argue as one of the biggest teams in that league with the utter contempt. However its the Dundee fans who started with this 'daft diddy team' shite, rather than actually focusing on the fact that the media can be so blatant in publishing something which could have been summised as 'Football happened, someone scored.....infact no, wait we dont give a f**k..............'

25 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I think there is a difference between Dundee this season and Killie last season. Killie had been a long established premiership club. Dundee, on the other hand has boomeranged back to the championship. They might get their act together, but it is not as sure a thing as it was for Killie. Even then, it really took a change of manager or two for them to get it right last year.

I don't think it's massively oversimplifying things to say Killie won the league last year because they signed Kyle Lafferty , a horrible c**t of an individual but still far too good a player for this league, if they'd persisted with Oli Shaw and whoever else up front Arbroath would now be in the Premiership. Probably add Ash Taylor to that as well  (tho as far as I know he's not a horrible c**t). Same as when we signed Scott McDonald in 2019 and he got something like 7 goals and 6 assists in 13 games to keep us up.

The relevance to Dundee is that they didn't sign anyone in the summer that made me think "aye he's going to stroll this league", not necessarily a veteran ex-OF striker, but their summer recruitment seemed to be a guy who didn't have much knowledge of the Scottish game bringing in a handful of FM regens from down south and Williamson who had been ...OK, I guess... in this league before. 

Still plenty of time to go, Killie lost 9 games last year and still won it and I can see a similarly low points total taking it this year, but a couple more defeats before Christmas and Bowyer probably won't get the chance to fix it in the January window.

Still plenty of time to go, Killie lost 9 games last year and still won it and I can see a similarly low points total taking it this year,

Don't see it happening again this year. Killie's total was the lowest to win the league in thirteen years, and that was a St. Johnstone team which only lost five matches all season. The Ross Country team of a few years back who were regarded as the worst champions for years gained four more points than that Killie squad.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Dundee have the January window to buy the title like Killie did last year.  Writing them off after 9 games is wild.  After we beat Killie 1-0 in December, I told a Killie fan on the supporters bus back to the Caley Club after the game that they would strengthen in January and win the league.  Dundee will do exactly the same.

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Dundee have the January window to buy the title like Killie did last year.  Writing them off after 9 games is wild.  After we beat Killie 1-0 in December, I told a Killie fan on the supporters bus back to the Caley Club after the game that they would strengthen in January and win the league.  Dundee will do exactly the same.

Praying The Office GIF

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

The relevance to Dundee is that they didn't sign anyone in the summer that made me think "aye he's going to stroll this league", not necessarily a veteran ex-OF striker, but their summer recruitment seemed to be a guy who didn't have much knowledge of the Scottish game bringing in a handful of FM regens from down south and Williamson who had been ...OK, I guess... in this league before. 

That's it and it's pretty straightforward. Most people -- including Bowyer -- assumed Dundee would make two or three signing that would take them clear of the rest in terms of quality. It hasn't happened (as Bowyer himself is understandably keen to remind everyone).

Even those Dundee fans who were amusing themselves with chat about 'strolling this diddy league', which quickly became 'ach, we're pish, but we'll probably still win it', know already they won't win anything with the squad they currently have.

25 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Maybe. As above, the expected signings haven't materialised because they have too many players they don't want under contract; that'll still be the case in January.

The big difference between Dundee and Killie is that the Killie squad that made such heavy weather of the first part of the season was already much better than what Dundee have now. KIllie more or less knew that the right signings plus McInnes would be enough; not sure Dundee are in a position to bet large sums of money on new players (and maybe a new manager) hauling them out of it from January...

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I don’t think I have written them off. I am not sure that Dundee have the same financial clout that Kilmarnock had. They might gamble but, Is it worth the gamble if you come straight back down again ?

Nelms & co are clearly reluctant to spend money on new arrivals. That has been clear to see given that we've brought in two loanee's and one permanent signing. It was pretty well documented that to bring in we needed to get rid of some of Mcpake's duds who are on long contracts and probably earning a wedge. 

I'd be very surprised if we go on a spree in January because all signs point towards this being a season of riding it out and seeing where we end up. Much to the probable annoyance of Bowyer as he has made it clear on a number of occasions that we needed to strengthen. 

We have to hope we are within touching distance come January of the teams above us - maybe then we will add to the squad but I really doubt it.

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I don’t think anyone has written Dungdee off, it’s just the sheer Sevconian attitude of their supporters that they were going to steamroller any thing in their path and that the league would be won by January and that they would go the whole season undefeated that is making this period joyous!!

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

I don’t think anyone has written Dungdee off, it’s just the sheer Sevconian attitude of their supporters that they were going to steamroller any thing in their path and that the league would be won by January and that they would go the whole season undefeated that is making this period joyous!!

I mean, it'll be a pain but I'm sure we can push it back until February.

I'd love to see another angle of that third Cove goal. Looks like the Dundee keeper just CBA and wants a lie down. Utterly pathetic goalkeeping on the face of it.

40 minutes ago, RiG said:

I'd love to see another angle of that third Cove goal. Looks like the Dundee keeper just CBA and wants a lie down. Utterly pathetic goalkeeping on the face of it.

From my view the keeper was much further away from the ball than the highlights showed. Legzdins was a bit slow o react though.

54 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Lol at Cove suddenly deciding to go full Shaolin Soccer for no apparent reason

🤣 Second and third are belters; second especially was a really guid move.

That 'dive' from the Dee keeper for the third though. Oh dearie, dearie me !