Post a random, unusual/interesting fact about yourself

Flybhoy

Was two people along from former Falkirk owner George Fulston at the game over the weekend.

Once got on "Wish You Were Here..." as a background extra when Judith Chalmers was doing a piece to camera - she was lovely.

Have met 2 SNP first ministers, a Conservative Secretary of State for Scotland and a leader of the Scottish Labour party. Three of them came across as very nice people, no matter your political allegiance after a chat with them you could see why people would give them a vote and lets just say the other one was Jim Murphy.

Edited by drs

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Genuinely F*** that - I cannot think of  a worse way to die than being trapped between a rock and a hard place, literally.  

45 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Tbf, although it's certainly higher risk than sitting at home on P&B, caving gets an unfair press when it comes to deaths, especially when you compare it to other past-times that (maybe apart from base jumping) seem to get an easy ride.

The vast majority of accidents involve inexperienced folk who go in unprepared, or just do daft things like the guy in that link (breathing-in to push a squeeze, never mind going down head-first, for example).

Learn the trade properly and you're more likely to die a horrible death in the car journey to get there.

Base jumping 1 in 60
Grand Prix racing 1 in 100
Hang gliding 1 in 560
Motorbike Racing 1 in 1,000
Mountain climbing 1 in 1,750
Boxing 1 in 2,200
Caving 1 in 3,332

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tbf, although it's certainly higher risk than sitting at home on P&B, caving gets an unfair press when it comes to deaths, especially when you compare it to other past-times that (maybe apart from base jumping) seem to get an easy ride.

The vast majority of accidents involve inexperienced folk who go in unprepared, or just do daft things like the guy in that link (breathing-in to push a squeeze, never mind going down head-first, for example).

Learn the trade properly and you're more likely to die a horrible death in the car journey to get there.

Base jumping 1 in 60
Hang gliding 1 in 560
Boxing 1 in 2,200
Caving 1 in 3,332

A case study of @Shandon Par says otherwise.

39 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I thought he said “coving” rather than caving. You could possibly saw your head off in frustration with a mitre saw right enough as it is very fiddly. 

Good to see you have all the angles covered, m8.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I was once a mascot at a Falkirk game. Colin McNair scared the shit out of me by throwing the ball at my head as hard as he could in the changing room. He missed. 

Probably for the best. One of the biggest psychos ever to 'grace' a Scottish football pitch. 

Once saw him snap an Airdrie player in two then square go the rest of the team. Was only at Dumbarton as he'd been booted out of previous club for drugs issues. 

A genuine talent, he was last seen warning young footballers about the dangers of smack. 

16 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Base jumping 1 in 60
Hang gliding 1 in 560
Boxing 1 in 2,200
Caving 1 in 3,332

Aye, but I wouldn't be doing any of them either! 

On 05/09/2022 at 09:27, Hedgecutter said:

Underground exploration is my hobby. I am a spelunker. My name is Hedgecutter the Spelunker. I hunt for, discover, and map Scottish caves (and some ancient mines).

Most recent joint 'discovery' was a breakthrough dig into a mile-long extension to an old limestone mine near Kilsyth, part of which was a stone-lined pit-pony-driven railroad containing giant iron nails, last seen by somebody who lived at the time of George III.

Hide contents

Picture of the Kilsyth mine, with me pointing at a featureless bit of rock for artistic effect.  You can see why they used small kids as labour.  F*** crawling through that daily.

FB_IMG_1660368237932.thumb.jpg.8eb50d6c6830561f9722047645296328.jpg

Often perceived as the thing of nightmares by some people, but being the first person in the history of humankind to set sight on a previously undiscovered part of Scotland is a feeling that never grows old.

You keep doing it, so I don't need to.

21 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I have the same birthday as my younger granddaughter (25/12)
Judged more P&J school debates than anyone (apart from Norman Harper)
Once played on the same stage as Jeff Beck (not at the same time, sadly)

Norman Harper! A true cultural reference. Mrs B once had a mention in his column.

Can you tell us the name of your band (just in case Jeff is reading this and wants you for a reunion gig)?

I was on a two-man judging team for a science competition - with the winners sending an experiment to be tested at the International Space Station. The other judge was former NASA astronaut Michael Foale, the first Brit to perform a space walk. I have a standard grade 3 in physics and 5 in chemistry.

He was asking loads of intricate, confusing, science questions to the teams presenting their ideas. My sole contribution was to ask the first team when they presented their experiment on worms: “how many worms are you going to take?”. Just said I had no further questions to the other teams.

I’ve also been called a fucking dickhead by a former Harlem Globetrotter. 

My mum took a recommended drug to help with morning sickness in the late '60's which led to me having one undescended bollock a few years later. It affected my tadpoles ability to swim, bit not their numbers.

We were able to get help through the NHS and icsi and in 2 cycles had 3 kids in 24 months. Starting 17 years ago. 

We were so lucky. Hoping others in similar situations have the same good fortune as us.

Edited by Tony Ferrino

From a clenched fist, I can't raise my ring finger unless the pinkie is raised too.  When holding up just these two fingers, my pinkie acts like an extremely fast spring when forced down and released.   It's surprisingly entertaining.

When he was at The Caley, I saw Doug Imrie in a pub trying to wire into a lassie I kind of knew. I ended up taking her home that night and pumping her. 

‘Do not fuck, with the big boys’ 

image.gif.dab8e941451a1143938d5da9b027cd21.gif

Edited by TheScarf