Ayr vs Thistle - 10th September 2022

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

You should never fall in love with a loan player but it’s far too late for that.

Seems to be out of contract in the summer so got to be worth the club at least asking the question if Villa don't plan to offer him anything.

Just show him Jordan Preston's rather uninspiring career since he turned us down to stay in England.

Seems to be out of contract in the summer so got to be worth the club at least asking the question if Villa don't plan to offer him anything.
Just show him Jordan Preston's rather uninspiring career since he turned us down to stay in England.

The club are also in a vastly stronger position to attract young players from down South compared to back in 2016.

Full time, able to afford accommodation and longer term contracts. I think it’s unlikely he’d stay but definitely worth asking. I’d love to be able to keep Chalmers and Mullin as well.

38 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

I suspect Villa will offer him something as he's still a kid. There's no doubt Young and Kirk will be learning loads up here and will go back better players than when they arrived. Stands us in good stead for future seasons if top clubs see how their kids can develop up here.

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The club are also in a vastly stronger position to attract young players from down South compared to back in 2016.

Full time, able to afford accommodation and longer term contracts. I think it’s unlikely he’d stay but definitely worth asking. I’d love to be able to keep Chalmers and Mullin as well.

Mullin definitely, as he has more or less been told he was punted out on loan to try help find himself a club for when his contract finished. He seems very happy playing here and being a regular and if we're up challenging, I am sure he'd be more than keen to secure a good deal.

Chalmers, you just don't know what his situation at United is and I wouldn't be surprised if a County/Livi type club were sniffing about.

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Mullin definitely, as he has more or less been told he was punted out on loan to try help find himself a club for when his contract finished. He seems very happy playing here and being a regular and if we're up challenging, I am sure he'd be more than keen to secure a good deal.

Chalmers, you just don't know what his situation at United is and I wouldn't be surprised if a County/Livi type club were sniffing about.

To be fair he's not the type of player we sign. We could probably get better from cheaper with the way we recruit case in point with Nouble/Bahamboula etc

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

2 hours ago, edinburghhonestman said:

I suspect Villa will offer him something as he's still a kid. There's no doubt Young and Kirk will be learning loads up here and will go back better players than when they arrived. Stands us in good stead for future seasons if top clubs see how their kids can develop up here.

The improvement in the overall package we can offer loan players is important. Hopefully even if Young didn't stay permanently the loan clubs themselves do see the benefit him, Kirk and Sinisalo got from their loan spells up here if we ask for anyone else in the future.

More optimistic that Mullin would stay next season as he seems to be at an age where he'd rather play every week than just be at a top flight club for the sake of it. Hopefully we keep playing him RM as no surprise he did better last night than on Saturday when he got shifted to the left early on.

12 hours ago, RedEd said:

McCall claiming in the Ayrshire Post/Daily Record  report that Patrick had vastly more chances. A quick look at the match stats shows Ayr had 11 efforts on goal (5 on target) compared to 12/4 for Partick. That won't include Brownlie's magnificent diving header either.

Would certainly say they were the more composed team on the ball in the middle of the park in the 1st half especially but were clearly missing the likes of Tiffoney for creativity, once Brian Graham had puffed himself out after 45 minutes they weren't as big a threat up front.

2nd half we forced them to go long which as we know isn't McCall's style of play and it worked into the favour of us when you've got guys like Kirk, McGinty and Musonda at the back. Still had the odd scare most due to Houston's inability to stop a cross getting into the box which is happening every week.

Still we won and that's the main thing. Also for the first time this season in a game we probably actually took all our chances which as we know has been a rare occurrence and none of the 4 scorers were Dipo which shows others stepping up thankfully.  

16 hours ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair he's not the type of player we sign. We could probably get better from cheaper with the way we recruit case in point with Nouble/Bahamboula etc

I was thinking more of a player who has been in and around the lower leagues looks like they are capable of the step up.

In fairness McCall spent enough of his time calling Ayr United tinpot diddies when he was manager of Ayr United. I suspect this means that none of the PCAs he snuck into the home dressing room to tuck into players' boots have had a response.