Ayr vs Thistle - 10th September 2022

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Completely understand the decision but still frustrating.

Hopefully the break doesn’t upset our momentum too much. 

Why ?

In what way will Ayr United playing Partick have any bearing whatsoever on the Queen popping her clogs at 96 ??

The whole issue here is that the majority are having this "mourning" forced upon us for someone who most of us had no interest or opinion about.

It's not a "mark of respect", it's just utter and complete madness !!!

Not getting involved in anything that's being said but tomorrow being off will be a bit of a sore one to take financially.

A top of the league Saturday clash which was going to bring in about 4,000 fans i'd of reckoned with a sold out hospitality presumably and a rammed Cameron's Bar for about 3 hours before kick off would have been a good money spinner. 

Still, not the first time we've had big games called off for things outwith our control and it won't be the last. 

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Still, not the first time we've had big games called off for things outwith our control and it won't be the last. 

This is a big part of the problem. We're inevitably going to lose games to the weather and to the World Cup. There's no reason at all to add to the problem by not playing on a weekend when we're able to.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Why ?

In what way will Ayr United playing Partick have any bearing whatsoever on the Queen popping her clogs at 96 ??

The whole issue here is that the majority are having this "mourning" forced upon us for someone who most of us had no interest or opinion about.

It's not a "mark of respect", it's just utter and complete madness !!!

There would have been a lot of pressure on the football authorities to postpone the games and they have obviously buckled. 

I don’t agree with the decision and think a more poignant tribute would of been a minutes silence. Down south I think they are playing the national anthem at next game but given the political divide up here that would just cause issues. You just need to look at the farce at Tynecastle last night to see that. 

My main issue with tomorrow is that Ayr would’ve been seeing it as a decent source of income. Top of the table clash against a team who are capable of bringing a really good away support. With the weather supposed to be nice as well it could’ve been a good crowd.

Moved to a midweek now when there’s no guarantee this game will still be as significant so it’s really frustrating from that aspect.

Oh well, just have to go to the pub to show my respect.

Ridiculous decision. As has been said, you can do 101 different things tomorrow involving many other businesses but football is cancelled. Far better to have had the opportunity for teams and fans to show respect, as they wished, on the pitch. I am fairly sure the Queen and her family would have appreciated that as much as all the call offs. Evidence of all the clubs marking this would have sent a stronger message of sympathy and respect than all the cancellations.

For us, big disappointment and probable loss of income. 😡

17 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

There would have been a lot of pressure on the football authorities to postpone the games and they have obviously buckled. 

I don’t agree with the decision and think a more poignant tribute would of been a minutes silence. Down south I think they are playing the national anthem at next game but given the political divide up here that would just cause issues. You just need to look at the farce at Tynecastle last night to see that. 

Statement from The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport:

“There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations.

“As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations.

“If sporting fixtures or events are planned for the day of the State Funeral, organisations may want to adjust the event timings so they do not clash with the timings of the funeral service and associated processions,” it adds.

“As a mark of respect, and in keeping with the tone of National Mourning, organisers may wish to hold a period of silence and/or play the National Anthem at the start of events or sporting fixtures, and players may wish to wear black armbands.”

6 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

It seems pretty incongruous that games on the day of her death went ahead, but games for days after are cancelled. Is it out of respect or practicality?

If I had to guess it would be practicality. The SPFL would get bombarded by the now frenzied sycophantic media and royalists.

Even if they wanted the games to go ahead they would be terrified to let them. Scottish Football authorities have never been known for their backbone either.

2 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

If I had to guess it would be practicality. The SPFL would get bombarded by the now frenzied sycophantic media and royalists.

Even if they wanted the games to go ahead they would be terrified to let them. Scottish Football authorities have never been known for their backbone either.

No doubt Rangers would demand an apology.

35 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

My main issue with tomorrow is that Ayr would’ve been seeing it as a decent source of income. Top of the table clash against a team who are capable of bringing a really good away support. With the weather supposed to be nice as well it could’ve been a good crowd.

Moved to a midweek now when there’s no guarantee this game will still be as significant so it’s really frustrating from that aspect.

Spot on it would have been 4,000 as a minimum, not just a benefit to Ayr Utd but pubs etc in Ayr are going to lose out with most Jags fans being in Ayr from around 12:30.  Out with the actual belter of a game I’m sure it would have been, it’s also a boot in the balls for local businesses