Livingston Soccer Franchise v Heart of Midlothian - Sept 3rd

7 hours ago, FozzysFence said:

Europe giving the players big heads?

Today was very poor, very few pass marks.

The European game will be what it will be, but St Mirren next week is probably a must-win

I think it is more a case of the players looking at the European games on the horizon instead of giving the next game their full attention.

9 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Absolutely shite. First 20 minutes we started ok and missed 2 good chances. After that we were absolutely minging. 

Thoroughly deserved win for Livingston and we need to get the finger out big time. Badly need Halkett back.

Absolutely.

Best hope is that this week will be the boot up the arse needed.

If not, we're in for a long season. That was absolutely woeful.

3 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

I think it is more a case of the players looking at the European games on the horizon instead of giving the next game their full attention.

Oh yeah, makes sense. Hadn't occurred to me that they might get distracted. Another teaching moment maybe. Probably have a few of those in this first season on our road to European domination!

You'll no' get distracted if you take one game at a time.

RN seems to think the squad is strong enough to rest and rotate - it isn't.

He also needs to stop talking about busy schedules, etc - you risk reinforcing the idea of players being allegedly fatigued.

We're not getting any shots on target because we're trying to walk it in rather than shooting - just fucking shoot, lads.

We do miss Boyce's link-up play.

Injuries to key players will always be hard to cope with. 

7 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

I'd imagine it had very little to do with thinking about the next game and a lot to do with Neilson putting out an utterly shit team.

If professional footballers can't play twice in a week then they shouldn't be playing professional football.

As soon as I saw Sibbick and Halliday on the team sheet I knew Livingston would win.

Play the strongest 11 and stop trying to overcomplicate things.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Maybe Neilson should let the players actually get tired before changing them every game, rather than telling them they are physically and mentally fatigued 5 weeks into a season.

The post Boyce landscape looks pretty grim at this point

I don't see how it helps either. If you keep telling the players they're tired and run down then it surely becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's only going to get tougher in the next 2 months.

48 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We've got injuries and suspensions to key players too, our best defender Fitzwater and last season's top goal scorer Anderson were missing, with the resources Hearts have you should be able to cope with it better than most.

Sounds like a fair point, but our advantage over the other non-OF teams isn't such that we can afford to be missing a raft of first-picks and expect to win games. We're badly weakened in all departments at the moment, and you just can't afford that.

That said, Neilson picked a weaker team than he had to yesterday, and that's his can to carry.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

I'd imagine it had very little to do with thinking about the next game and a lot to do with Neilson putting out an utterly shit team.

If professional footballers can't play twice in a week then they shouldn't be playing professional football.

As soon as I saw Sibbick and Halliday on the team sheet I knew Livingston would win.

Play the strongest 11 and stop trying to overcomplicate things.

I get the sentiment in general but tbf Smith was one that really needed taken out. 33 now and visibly struggling midweek as he can't play 2 games a week. Plus Sibbick was the very least of our concerns yesterday. 

20 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Sounds like a fair point, but our advantage over the other non-OF teams isn't such that we can afford to be missing a raft of first-picks and expect to win games. We're badly weakened in all departments at the moment, and you just can't afford that.

That said, Neilson picked a weaker team than he had to yesterday, and that's his can to carry.

Yeah i'd say Boyce and Halkett were big losses to you, but equally so are Fitzwater and Anderson for us. Guthrie is looking a good signing from this window though, he's started with a bang, scoring on his debut against Utd on Wed night and having a decent impact yesterday when he came on. Almost scored an audacious back heel but for a good Craig Gordon save.

Not so keen on Kelly playing CB and Omeonga going over to the wing, but both did a decent enough job, Bahamboula looks far better playing on the wing for us though, again a new signing this season and is just starting to have an impact for us.

Penrice is just back from injury too, and is our best LB/LWB, although Montano has been a good replacement i think we've missed Penrice playing there. Basically we've done well having players filling in at different positions, Martindale like signing players to play in several positions, as our budget is small, that really shouldn't be the case for Hearts.

I can relate to Hearts fans wanting their best starting XI playing every game, feels the same with us, Guthrie and Bahamboula need to be starting games now. Europe makes things a bit more complicated for you though, you're playing better quality teams and having to travel by plane to play them, Neilson obv thinks he has to rotate the starting XI, but agree with your fans, this early in the season it shouldn't be a necessity to do so.

26 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah i'd say Boyce and Halkett were big losses to you, but equally so are Fitzwater and Anderson for us. Guthrie is looking a good signing from this window though, he's started with a bang, scoring on his debut against Utd on Wed night and having a decent impact yesterday when he came on. Almost scored an audacious back heel but for a good Craig Gordon save.

Not so keen on Kelly playing CB and Omeonga going over to the wing, but both did a decent enough job, Bahamboula looks far better playing on the wing for us though, again a new signing this season and is just starting to have an impact for us.

Penrice is just back from injury too, and is our best LB/LWB, although Montano has been a good replacement i think we've missed Penrice playing there. Basically we've done well having players filling in at different positions, Martindale like signing players to play in several positions, as our budget is small, that really shouldn't be the case for Hearts.

I can relate to Hearts fans wanting their best starting XI playing every game, feels the same with us, Guthrie and Bahamboula need to be starting games now. Europe makes things a bit more complicated for you though, you're playing better quality teams and having to travel by plane to play them, Neilson obv thinks he has to rotate the starting XI, but agree with your fans, this early in the season it shouldn't be a necessity to do so.

I mean out next European game is 5 days after yesterday, at Tynecastle.  There was zero need to be resting folk yesterday for that.

And if we get to the point where we DO need to rest players, Europe is the place to do it imo

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I mean out next European game is 5 days after yesterday, at Tynecastle.  There was zero need to be resting folk yesterday for that.

And if we get to the point where we DO need to rest players, Europe is the place to do it imo

You'd imagine there's players that signed for Hearts because of European football. You'd also think they'd be raging if they were rested instead of being able to actually play in it

2 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

I get the sentiment in general but tbf Smith was one that really needed taken out. 33 now and visibly struggling midweek as he can't play 2 games a week. Plus Sibbick was the very least of our concerns yesterday. 

Understandable to give Smith a break. But benching Shankland and Forrest seems totally unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Understandable to give Smith a break. But benching Shankland and Forrest seems totally unnecessary. 

Yeah don't disagree. Shankland especially looks like the type of guy that wants to be playing, the more he plays the sharper he'll be.

Still cant understand virtually the entire Hearts defence holding their hands up for off-side against our goal instead of making a meaningful attempt to defend. 

Admittedly its almost 55 years since I played school football but even then I remember it being drilled in to us to continue to play to the whistle.

Not something Halkett would ever have done - as far as I recall.

33 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Still cant understand virtually the entire Hearts defence holding their hands up for off-side against our goal instead of making a meaningful attempt to defend. 

Admittedly its almost 55 years since I played school football but even then I remember it being drilled in to us to continue to play to the whistle.

Not something Halkett would ever have done - as far as I recall.

Really poor defending, and we definitely miss Halkett.

Injuries to Halkett, Kingsley, Rowles and Smith haven't really helped us to have a consistent back line, but that's a basic situation that needs to be dealt with - nowhere near good enough.