Motherwell FC v Dundee United FC 3/9/22

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Anything up to 6 from the OF is passable (just), anything above 7 starts to bring a smile to opposing fans' faces IMO. 

If it had been 6-0 to the Saints I'd have seen where you were coming from but not 3-0. 

Still pissed myself laughing at it though!

It's a curious debate these days as to what constitutes an acceptable performance against the OF...for me the result is almost irrelevant. There's been times we've played quite well, been largely competitive yet lose a couple of goals late on to give the scoreline a 1-4/1-5 gloss which wasn't really fair yet someone else would have offered absolutely nothing the week before and got away with 2-0 because the OF jogged the last 30 minutes ahead of a Euro tie. 

Bizarrely if I was a United fan I'd be less bothered about losing nine - which everyone who has lost six or seven has been a couple of marginal finishes away from anyway - than the fact they were lucky to get away with nine and it could easily have been so many more!

However, today's nailed on clean sheet with certainly boost their confidence again.

24 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's a curious debate these days as to what constitutes an acceptable performance against the OF...for me the result is almost irrelevant. There's been times we've played quite well, been largely competitive yet lose a couple of goals late on to give the scoreline a 1-4/1-5 gloss which wasn't really fair yet someone else would have offered absolutely nothing the week before and got away with 2-0 because the OF jogged the last 30 minutes ahead of a Euro tie. 

Bizarrely if I was a United fan I'd be less bothered about losing nine - which everyone who has lost six or seven has been a couple of marginal finishes away from anyway - than the fact they were lucky to get away with nine and it could easily have been so many more!

However, today's nailed on clean sheet with certainly boost their confidence again.

I guess the media attention on the 9-0 answers the question as to its acceptability, as well as Ross being made to walk the plank. Maybe if Liverpool hadn't done the same it may have escaped the English media attention.

OK, we all say no defeat is acceptable but if we can avoid anything above 4 I'd probably have a secret sigh of relief t.b.h.

On to today's game - you'll either comfortably easy by them 3-0 or lose 1-0.

So a 2-2 draw it is!

23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I guess the media attention on the 9-0 answers the question as to its acceptability, as well as Ross being made to walk the plank. Maybe if Liverpool hadn't done the same it may have escaped the English media attention.

OK, we all say no defeat is acceptable but if we can avoid anything above 4 I'd probably have a secret sigh of relief t.b.h.

On to today's game - you'll either comfortably easy by them 3-0 or lose 1-0.

So a 2-2 draw it is!

To put the 9-0 into perspective.  Rangers are getting a doing today from Celtic.  I can see quite a few 6-0 +  

Todays game, we are favourites, return of the King.  Can only see a UTD win as this is the Motherwell way

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Motherwell fans seem very pessimistic: I suppose that comes with the territory of being one of the ten 'other' clubs in the top league. 

This fixture is part of a sequence of games for United stretching from the start of the season where, replacing Dundee for Killie, we gained precisely 1 point from the nine reciprocal games last season. Going by that it'll take to October 8th, the tenth fixture, to get the next points.

How's that for pessimism?

Away to Killy is an example why, we rarely have an easy win in games against struggling opposition.

9 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Moult not even on the bench! 🤦‍♂️ It kinda makes sense with him only arriving yesterday I suppose but still disappointing.

Think he’ll get the half time appearance and applause, don’t think he’s trained with the team yet either so would be tricky.