Airdrie v FC Edinburgh

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Probably because Euan Deveney is not up to it although fair to say it didn't work!

Based on a bad game last week? He'd been part of the tightest defence. We take him out today and lose. Not directly due to that but the mad has done well and got replaced by a midfielder? Which was doubly bad as not only did it wreaked us defensively, but weakened our midfield taking him out of it. What did Wylie do to deserve a start? And given how Awful he was, how did he last 90 minutes? Because of tactical ineptitude today. McCabe must take a fair share of responsibility for that shambles. 

This result will be forgotten soon but I sincerely hope that we learned from the game today. Even with 11v11 we could see that our build up play was too slow and pedantic and just like the cup game Edinburgh knew that they could hurt us on the break.

To be fair, almost every ball fell for Edinburgh today and up until 3-0 I felt that we were still in the game. The crucial miss by Gallagher and the subsequent reply killed the game stone dead. I thought that we would then sit back and maybe give some of the subs some game time, not to be as we went full Murryball and paid the price.

Wouldnt be too harsh on the players but let’s just say, some of them had their poorest game for the club. Jamieson I would single out however for his petulant and emotionally immature attitude. He tried to blame everyone else when he lost the ball and if things weren’t going his way. That is for McCabe to sort out however.

We shouldn’t forget however that the Ediburgh side is full of players who have played at a higher level and possess a forward line who don’t try to walk the ball into the net.

39 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Embarrassing result in the end and tactically very naive from McCabe thinking we could continue to play our high risk football with ten men. Hopefully he learns from this.

That being said, I can’t help but feel we’ve been done by the referee here. That was never a red card in a million years. Even if it did hit his hand (which I’m not convinced it did) the ball was going miles wide so couldn’t have stopped a goal! Sickener.

Hopefully we appeal the decision and Ballantyne is back available next week at Montrose.

Whether we had lost 1-0 or 10-0 today it’s still zero points. Take it on the chin and move on.

Reluctant to criticise any individuals too much but I feel Wiley is just too slow and ponderous on the ball. Really doesn’t suit our style of play.

Player one moment manager the next really did show today that will never work, like last week Gal missed a chance that just maybe could have been away back.  Defending was dire and hitting the target is a big problem. What a run we had that has to be praised, back to earth well and truly the day. 

What a way to end the unbeaten run! Even before the penalty Edinburgh looked a lot sharper today and I said earlier, we stood off them far too much and gave them a lot of space to play into. The sending off obviously changes things and while I thought it wasn’t a handball, even so that probably balances out our very fortunate decision last week. 

Tactically McCabe got it badly wrong. We actually came into the game a bit in the first half but the second goal right on half time killed us. His decision to come out and play a 2-5-2 in the second half was bizarre and left us really expose down the wings. Even then, most of the goals came from players being far too weak, generally Fordyce who was abysmal. We really missed Devenny’s drive in midfield, particularly with being a man down in there, and he was wasted at left back. 

Montrose is the last place I’d pick for our next game but it’s up to the players and management to show a big reaction. It’s an embarrassing result but hopefully one that McCabe can learn a lot from.

Well what can be said about that,   was it a surprise,  Yes to an extent,    the big question always was if teams are brave enough to play against us and not sit in,   could they outplay us and boy they outplayed and outclassed us in every department...    

The selection as previously mentioned was unnecessary, Justin D moved to LWB and a so far unimpressive Wylie in midfield,   Ballantyne was unlucky to be sent off IMO, although none of our players really protested it,  

Today really showed up our lack of options and tactical naivety and general stubbornness by Rhys McCabe,   The bus should have been parked at 3 nil and if we are being honest we were lucky it was only 6.... In fairness Edinburgh have built a very capable side,  Keiran McD, Fontaine,  Craigan all would instantly improve our side,  all players have played at higher levels and were available in the summer...  While we are still harping on about quality loanees   Can we say that about LJ and Wylie after today..

The mix up front hasn't been right the last couple of weeks either Gabby yet again clueless as a centre,  Callum Smith still not sure where he is meant to be playing , if anybody knows can they let Callum know,  LJ has pace and skill but is not good enough for the role McCabe wants him to play,,   Gallagher yet again our best option up front starts on the bench is he on the bench due to being Part Time. ?? There has to a reason he doesn't start...

Pretty sure Rhys is going to come out in his interview and state we had enough chances to get back in the game,  which we had,,  now rhys be brave give Kelt y a phone and see how much they want for Nathan Austin who is apparently on the way out if rumours are to be believed....

1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:

City have won all 3 away games this season with an aggregate score of 12-1. Food for thought eh?

I expect there was a couple of car loads of away fans but well done to them for making the trip. 

I know you almost lost count today but we definitely scored more than one against you.

19 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It's a home win for me, at last. Nuff said.

Well I got that absolutely wrong but my brief comment was because I have yet to see us perform well against FC. 

That continues today and clearly the red card and penalty had a decisive impact The five minutes before it did show that FC were quite direct, and I thought Robertson and Handling were so much better then, and throughout the match than Gabby McGill and our stylish but inneffective forwards.

Yes it was hard to take the double whammy but we were so poor in losing that 2nd goal. 

Felt sorry for Friz having to play alongside a weaker partner in Wylie. Not convinced Justin should have been displaced. It was also bold to go so bare at the back but once Gal missed that chance at 2 down whilst FC took theirs, surely we could have sorted out a defensive formation.

Also the young goalie was let down by comical defending!

Many years ago we surprisingly lost by 5 to Stenny and in many ways this was so unexpected . Rhys needs to reflect seriously on this.

Congratulations to the twenty away fans who must have enjoyed another visit here. 

FC Edinburgh look a solidly organised team and they will be no easy touch.

Will I go to Montrose!!!

2 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

City have won all 3 away games this season with an aggregate score of 12-1. Food for thought eh?

I expect there was a couple of car loads of away fans but well done to them for making the trip. 

12 - 2  actually

15 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

This result will be forgotten soon but I sincerely hope that we learned from the game today. Even with 11v11 we could see that our build up play was too slow and pedantic and just like the cup game Edinburgh knew that they could hurt us on the break.

To be fair, almost every ball fell for Edinburgh today and up until 3-0 I felt that we were still in the game. The crucial miss by Gallagher and the subsequent reply killed the game stone dead. I thought that we would then sit back and maybe give some of the subs some game time, not to be as we went full Murryball and paid the price.

Wouldnt be too harsh on the players but let’s just say, some of them had their poorest game for the club. Jamieson I would single out however for his petulant and emotionally immature attitude. He tried to blame everyone else when he lost the ball and if things weren’t going his way. That is for McCabe to sort out however.

We shouldn’t forget however that the Ediburgh side is full of players who have played at a higher level and possess a forward line who don’t try to walk the ball into the net.

When at 0-2the chance was there  to make it 1-2but once again we fail to hit the back of the net, I know we have scored a few goals, its the chances we miss  that cost us dearly,