Premier Sports Cup - 1/4 Final Draw

DeeTillEhDeh

5 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Presumably also showing La Liga that night. If Sky hadn't chosen Motherwell v Rangers on the Sunday lunchtime then it could be moved to the Tuesday (and then clash with Killie?)

Or it could be moved to the Thursday night?  

7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Can't as Celtic play Hearts at lunchtime on Saturday 22nd, which can't be moved as they have a Tuesday night Champions League game.

Rangers game to the Thursday I meant. It would mean moving their Saturday league match to the Sunday which shouldn’t be difficult as they don’t play in the Champions League until Wednesday. 

Edited by JagsCG

3 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Rangers game to the Thursday I meant. It would mean moving their Saturday league match to the Sunday which shouldn’t be difficult as they don’t play in the Champions League until Wednesday. 

I think Livingston, Dundee and Morton would all have something to say about that. 

Edited by The Master

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Probably. Don’t dispute that - although you’d really only need Rangers and Dundee to agree to it. 

Why would they, though. 

For Rangers it would give them one fewer day before travelling to Napoli, and for Dundee a Sunday game would almost certainly mean a smaller gate. 

It’s not up to the clubs to solve the problem of Premier thinking it’s somehow illegal for them not to show every Celtic and Rangers game available to them. 

Of course, if the SPFL wasn’t in Sky’s pocket, they would have said Sunday was off-limits for a live game the previous weekend because of this exact scenario. 

33 minutes ago, The Master said:

Why would they, though. 

For Rangers it would give them one fewer day before travelling to Napoli, and for Dundee a Sunday game would almost certainly mean a smaller gate. 

It’s not up to the clubs to solve the problem of Premier thinking it’s somehow illegal for them not to show every Celtic and Rangers game available to them. 

Fair points, it would arguably be a better scenario for the fans than an 8.15 k/o on a Wednesday Night though (particularly the travelling support), Premier Sports seems to have angered fans of various clubs tonight with their scheduling. Perhaps they attempted to get the Rangers/Dundee game on the Thursday and were told where to go by the relevant clubs - but I’ll assume not. 

Sure, they could’ve just left the match from TV coverage but that’s not really the Premier Sports way. 

• 1 month later...
On 05/09/2022 at 16:54, The Master said:

Tuesday October 18
Kilmarnock v Dundee United (live on Premier Sports, kick-off 7.45pm)

Wednesday October 19
Aberdeen v Partick Thistle (kick-off 7.45pm)
Motherwell v Celtic (live on Premier Sports, kick-off 6.15pm)
Rangers v Dundee (live on Premier Sports, kick-off 8.15pm)

https://spfl.co.uk/news/premier-sports-cup-quarter-final-fixtures

That kick-off time for Motherwell v Celtic :lol:

Apparently it's because there's "other contractual commitments" that mean they can't show both Motherwell v Celtic and Rangers v Dundee simultaneously. 

Alternatively, they don't want Celtic and Rangers playing at the same time and splitting the audience but won't admit that after showing clashing games (not both involving Celtic and Rangers) at the quarter final stage last season. 

Just thought it was worth revisiting this to point out that Premier Sports 2 is currently showing a blank screen, which started at 7.15pm and will run until 10.30pm. 

That is to say, the “other broadcasting commitments” were a load of pish, and Motherwell v Celtic kicked off at a stupid time solely because Premier didn’t want to show the two cheeks at the same time. 

• 2 months later...

I note the League Cup Finals in both England and Scotland are down for Sunday 26th February.

That's their traditional slot - ours is later than usual due to WC 2022.

Has this ever happened before? (It's been quite common for the FA and Scottish cups).

Might it also see ours go lunchtime or evening kickoff?

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I note the League Cup Finals in both England and Scotland are down for Sunday 26th February.

Has this ever happened before? (It's been quite common for the FA and Scottish cups).

No chance of an evening kick-off. 

You’d like to think they’ll go for 2pm, ahead of a 4.30pm kick-off down south. 

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

No chance of an evening kick-off. 

You’d like to think they’ll go for 2pm, ahead of a 4.30pm kick-off down south. 

ET + penalties = overlap?

To answer my own question it's happened twice before... in 1977-78 + 1983-84:

Saturday 18th March 1978
Football League Cup Final     Nottingham Forest 0-0 Liverpool (aet)
Scottish League Cup Final      Rangers 2-1 Celtic (aet)

Saturday 25th March 1984
Milk Cup Final                              Liverpool 0-0 Everton (aet)
Scottish League Cup Final    Rangers 3-2 Celtic (aet)