Moving to Scotland (Dundee) from England

Girth

• 3 weeks later...

@Girth

Just noticed this thread, how you getting on with this?

I had the same question when I moved down here.

All the areas are pretty much the same, I live in Dryburgh, it looks shite but it's a great place to stay. The only place I would avoid staying, would probably be a flat in the Hilltown. 

But I come from a housing estate upbringing and certain things don't bother me, it might not be everyone's cup o' tea.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

@Girth

Just noticed this thread, how you getting on with this?

I had the same question when I moved down here.

All the areas are pretty much the same, I live in Dryburgh, it looks shite but it's a great place to stay. The only place I would avoid staying, would probably be a flat in the Hilltown. 

But I come from a housing estate upbringing and certain things don't bother me, it might not be everyone's cup o' tea.

I’ll be up in Nov to have a look at places. 

Worry not I’ve lived in housing estates in London so not much phases me. 

Hilltown seems a good place to drink but not to live! 

46 minutes ago, Girth said:

Yeah, I've found Dundee is like one large estate, some nice houses down one street, then not so nice down the next street. But filled with the type of same people, the majority being working class but generally good c***s. If you head out of town, it's prime DAB country, like in Carnoustie or The Ferry, full of wankers. Yeah sure there's the odd jakeball, like the pissed guy that walked past me the other day, who had shit himself so much it was coming through his jeans. That just adds character imo. Although Charlston is a bit of a hovel, I can still walk my (big) dog through there at night and the kids went to school there. Probably do alright getting a flat on the Perth Road.

13 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah sure there's the odd jakeball, like the pissed guy that walked past me the other day, who had shit himself so much it was coming through his jeans. That just adds character imo.

That is a very interesting definition of 'character'.

Remember what Winston Wolf said - "Just because you're a character doesn't mean you have character."

21 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

That is a very interesting definition of 'character'.

Remember what Winston Wolf said - "Just because you're a character doesn't mean you have character."

But it's a great laugh seeing some guy so oot his tits that he doesn't realise he's crapped himself.

Wouldn't get that in Banchory.

Edited by johnnydun

On 22/09/2022 at 04:58, Girth said:

I lived in the Hilltown for a year or so, and my older sister for a good few years.  I was a few closes along from the 3 Barrels and my sister opposite the Bowbridge and above another pub which name escapes me.  Wasn't that bad but I'm talking 20 years ago.  

I've stayed in Coldside/Hilltown for years and it's fine. A couple of streets are a bit rank with litter and there's some junkies, but they're too smacked out of their bins to cause trouble. The street I stay on is genuinely pretty quiet, with the only issues being some arseholes a few years back who lived at the flat across the back playing loud music out their window in an attention seeking manner occasionally.

There's one street to my knowledge, Dundonald Street, that I would tell folk to avoid in the general area, but other than that pretty much most places are fine.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've stayed in Coldside/Hilltown for years and it's fine. A couple of streets are a bit rank with litter and there's some junkies, but they're too smacked out of their bins to cause trouble. The street I stay on is genuinely pretty quiet, with the only issues being some arseholes a few years back who lived at the flat across the back playing loud music out their window in an attention seeking manner occasionally.

There's one street to my knowledge, Dundonald Street, that I would tell folk to avoid in the general area, but other than that pretty much most places are fine.

My folks are in Hepburn Street. It's been 10 years since I was last there but was fine then.

https://simd.scot/#/simd2020/BTTTFTT/12.172365942444749/-2.9895/56.4640/

Depends on your budget.  Ferry/Barnhill or Perth Road even Invergowrie will cost you a bit more.

As there are a lot of students, one bedroom flats etc might be a bit more difficult if you want to be central but on the whole is is not to bad getting from schemes into city centre.

Feel free to DM me.

I’m looking to move to Dundee over the next 3-6 months from England. 
Any tips etc? I last lived in Dundee 2008-2009. 
I’m much older and creakier now. 
Ideally just looking for a one bedroom flat to rent atm so any recommended areas would be great. 

Balgay/Menziehill.

On 24/09/2022 at 18:38, DA Baracus said:

Dundonald Street

*shudders*

4 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

What's happened with Dundonald Street, can't remember anything particularly bad about it years ago?

No idea how long it's been like that as I didn't frequent Stobie growing up, but I've seen some rough shit on that street. Abandoned furniture and burnt-out cars. Closey's that reek of pish, littered with Heroin and Valium paraphernalia. Seen a heroin deal through an open ground floor window and my pal also got stabbed in the head there after being asked to hold a stranger's baby :lol: 

There was also that boy that killed his neighbour with a crossbow a few years ago.

Mental to think that this is all with a Polis station at the end of the street as well...

ETA: Not to put @Girth off - there are some great areas to live in and I'd second the West End. However, Blackness is the thinking man's West End. Close proximity to all the same things (Balgay Park, Dudhope, Perth Road for cafe's, restaurants and pubs and of course Clarkie's) and a 15 min walk to the town, but probably about half the price. Plus, it's free of any snobbery one might find in West End proper.

Edited by RawB93